Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wyatt46, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Sunburst Six

Sunburst Six New Member

Ogallala is far and away my favorite. I can't get enough of it.

2. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I really like the Ogallala Bay Rum as well. The Limes and Peppercorns is nice too.

I'd like to try Pinaud's BR.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

A question for JoAnna or who-ever; but which spice floats to the top with the TSD Bay-Rum...I personally like the cinnamin heavy Bay-Rums, so knowing you guys I imagine you can get it however you like...:)) But what do you consider the best scents along with the Bay and rum...and when you add menthol how does that affect the scent...?

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    TSD Bay Rum doesn't contain any "spices". Just pure Bay Rum essential oil (Pimenta Racemosa).

As for floating, it's either the allantoin or essential oil, sounds like to me.

Menthol doesn't effect the scent. Menthol produces a sensation, not a fragrance.

HTH.

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Thanks for getting back so quickly...:))

6. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

Has anyone made the Bay Rum from the recipe from ArtofManliness.com? I went out looking for some Bay Rum AS in my area and all I could find had a very light scent.

7. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I'm making some of my own... just put it away tonight. I'm following the first recipe listed

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/21/diy-bay-rum-aftershave/

I hope I didn't screw up too bad. It called for 2 tablespoons of rum and I put 2 ounces. If it's too bad it's not a big deal. I still have all the other ingredients needed except for the vodka.

8. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

Does the bay mean daphne?

9. jrgreen

jrgreen New Member

We started putting this on our faces because it doesn't taste real good when you drink it.....

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The Pinaud and Masters are both nice Bay Rums and as mentioned they provide different results. Pinaud is much more pungent and spicy; very strong. Masters is softer and as with all Masters products, powdery.

I didn't see it mentioned so I'll throw out another: Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum with a twist of Lime. (I think it was SCS, but can't remember for sure now). Anyway it was very nice. The lime adds a perfect compliment to the classic bay rum fragrance. You smell like a Carribbean cocktail. ;)

11. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I prefer Bay Rums that aren't so clovey. I'll have to try the Masters. I also like Stephens Bay Rum. Ogallala is good too, I like the Witch Hazel in it. I have a small bottle of TSD Bay Rum that I got some time ago. I save this for special occasions. Its pretty much the only one I have that seems to be soothing to the skin. Most of the store bought Bay Rums give me that alcohol burn, which I like, but the TSD stuff actually soothes. I like the smell also.
    Be glad you're in Denver and not back here Shep, its hot enough outside to boil a monkey's butt. (I'm sure you remember.)

Alan in Arizona

12. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I thought I updated this thread reference making my own... it turned to crap. I put to much rum in it and I need to start over.

13. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I remember all too well and don't miss it a bit!

"Boil a monkeys butt" Hmmm...disturbing.

:D

14. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I recently added 2 Bay Rum items to my inventory: Ogalla and TSD Bay Rum Cologne. Ogalla is indeed quite nice, as others here have indicated. Another pleasant surprise is the TSD BR. It is pure scented (no spices) which I like, it has a mellowness to it so it is never too powerful, plus the scent lasts 12-18 hrs. The TSD cologne has been a fine compliment to all of my bay rums.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I love Clubman, but won't try their BR.

16. Paul Turner

With Master's, we're talkin true barbershop classic

17. geneaut

geneaut Member

I agree. It's smooooooth.

I have a bottle of the Clubman, but it is too spicy 'straight' so I usually cut it 50/50 with the Master, or just straight witch hazel.

18. Paul Turner

Kind of like the Barbasol of Bay Rum????

19. Paul Turner

That is a MEAN-lookin mustache in the photo. Be great to see a baseball player with that!!

20. Paul Turner

That's where I'll go to get mine.