How often to clean brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TraderJoe, Feb 4, 2007.

?

How often do you wash brush?

1. Once a Week

2.8%
  2. Once a Month

19.4%
  3. Once a Year

13.9%
  4. Other / Duh! It gets washed every time I lather

63.9%
  1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Initially, I was cleaning my brushes after 5 or 6 uses....but now much less often.

Interestingly enough, I have actually noticed increased performance out of my SR 3124 without washing it for over a month. Also note, that I have been consistently using preshave oil as well (which most say affects water retention - I disagree!) The brush actually feels heavier in the hand now, and holds more water than ever.

All hair has natural oils contained, and I wonder if cleaning the brush too frequently strips the oils from the badger hairs and subsequently dries them out.

Any thoughts?

2. Baron

Baron New Member

I pretty much do it whenever I happen to think of it, which isn't that often. I haven't noticed a difference really.

The only exception is I've washed my TOP brush about 8 times so far trying to get rid of the smell.

3. ada8356

ada8356 Member

I clean my SR3124 whenever I notice a dip in performance.... usually marked by the inability to generate slick lather.

I'm not really sure what happens but after enough buildup on the brush, I get lather that looks good, but is not slick at all and the razor tends to skip.

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I started out washing them weekly, like my razors. But lately I've not been washing my brushes, and have not noticed any loss of water retention.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I guess if one got really matted down with soap I would wash it out, but I try to rinse my brushes out pretty thoroughly after each use. I never have tried shampoo or anything different on them other than shave cream/soap.

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I checked "annually", but in fact I would wash my brush only if it started giving me problems---e.g., started being "waterproof" due to hard-water deposits.

I always finish my shave by thoroughly rinsing out the brush, first with hot water and then, when all lather is gone, with cold water. Then I shake it out very well and put it up to dry.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have 3 brushes. I have not noticed a decline in performance for months now. I guess if I notice the inability to create lather or hold water in any of them that is when I will give them the shampoo treatment otherwise they are performing just fine.

Raf

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Washing a brush? :confused:

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I've only washed my brush when it gives me trouble also.

Shampoo treatments didn't help though. I had to get some Borax. That fixed everything.

10. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I don't worry much about this sort of thing.

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Except for TOP brush. I guess that thing will just take TIME. :eek:

12. Queen of Blades

True, sort of.

Since the conversation is about washing the brush but not about de-stinkifying brushes.

The my TOP brush wouldn't have gotten washed if it didn't stink to high heaven.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Do you really have to wash it? :confused:

14. Queen of Blades

define "it", please?

15. Will

Will Nevermind

You don't want me too.

Seriously I meant a shave brush

16. Queen of Blades

:rolleyes:

I wasn't sure if you meant brushes in general, or if you meant the TOP brush.

17. Will

Will Nevermind

I don't have that one

18. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

This sound familiar, why try to fix it if it aint broken..

19. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

This is starting to sound like a presidential impeachment....
    ".....um. What does 'it' mean" ? ;)

20. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

I clean mine when I have too much time on my hands and need something to do! :cool: