New line of stainless steel brush handles coming soon

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Darkbulb, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

CrownKing offers one, but it's already got a knot in it (2 separate knots actually, that unscrew and can be swapped at will) but they're 2 synthetics. I have 2 synths that I like (and a 3rd that's okay, it's my cheap travel brush) so I don't need 2 more. This intrigues me because I can put whatever knot I want into it!
    will it be a 2 piece handle that the neck screws off or a solid handle? Have you considered making a 2 piece and selling the "cap" that holds the knot separately to allow multiple knots to be used with the same handle?

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I didn't think CrownKing's (aka HTGAM aka Phoenix aka PFF...aka?) handles were machined aluminum - I thought they inexpensive cast (non-machined) Zinc alloy ones?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

That is correct, they are die cast, not machined, but you can cast the two parts threads and all. The quality level just is the only difference.

4. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

That may be true. Didn't think about that.

5. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

At first they will just be one piece. I will most likely make th em for a 24mm knot since I think that would be the best fitting for the brush dimentions (which I got exact measurements from an original 400-3). I hadn't thought about making just caps on the side, so food for thought down the road. Thank you!!

Boojum1 and Joelio like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I measure it at just shy of 54mm and the knot loft the same. It is almost a perfect half and half between knot and handle.

ObiDon likes this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This is a nice knot. It has lots of backbone and soft tips. I have been bowl lathering with it and whipping up a nice lather. I think it will be a great face latherer and will try that in the morning.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  8. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

Thank you for the insight! I love a soft tip, but it has to have a bit of backbone as well at least for me. May have to give one a shot!

mrchick and ObiDon like this.
  9. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Ubersoft knot from envyshave (etsy). Available in a lot of sizes, SUPER soft tip, but a fair amount of backbone as well. Beats the pants off my other 2 synths (plisson is too soft and floppy, whipped dog's old style is too... Springy).

Duvivier7 and mrchick like this.
  10. root_console

root_console Member

I am glad I found this thread. I really like Duvivier7's work and look forward to what he comes out with in the future.

Dzia Dzia and mrchick like this.
  11. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

Thank you! I have a new model ready to go. I originally wanted to post and make it available tonight, but have been a little busy. It will be posted before the weekend is over, and if you're curious, my avatar is a sneak peek! ;)

12. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

Just ordered one of the Ubersofts 28mm to test for my new model. Everything I've read is great! Can't wait to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Joelio likes this.
  13. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

20150831_152119-1_20150906165224622.jpg So here it is! My new "signature" model. They are pre bored to 28mm, and are my lightest stainless ones yet. I have 14 stainless steel and currenly 2 brass ones available. 50 grams lighter than the last model at 110 grams. They have a very significant flat on the bottom compared to the previous model which had a flat, but this one is much more stable standing upright (thank you @mrchick for the feedback)! All info, feedback, and questions are more than welcome!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  14. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

20150902_150459_20150906165539376.jpg

15. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

20150902_150118.jpg

Dzia Dzia and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

Bottom view. 20150902_150423.jpg

Dzia Dzia, jeraldgordon and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

And just for shits and giggles, here's a shot still on the lathe. 20150901_132250.jpg

Dzia Dzia, Drygulch and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They look VERY nice!

19. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

How can I get one?!

20. Duvivier7

Duvivier7 Member

Thank you! I always stand by my work, but I'm super pleased with this model, which is why I'm keeping one for myself, ha! Knot already on the way.