The VINTAGE Williams Project

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GDCarrington, Jul 4, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

16 July 2015

[​IMG]

Primotenore likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Excellent project.
    This is my next project. I have my vintage Williams pucks and just got a cool vintage glass shaving mug w/lid on eBay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/381373038936?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I also have some menthol crystals coming.
    Question: On a scale of 1-10, 10 being freeze your face off and 1 being "did I add any menthol?" How "mentholy" did 5 grams make your soap?
    Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to give it a go.

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since I spread the menthol over two pucks I give it about a 5 - 6 on the scale for 5 ounces.

Good fortune on your batching.

Primotenore likes this.
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Another option is to simply submerge the puck in a container filled with your favorite AS splash for a few days. Works a charm.

BTW: Just for fun, a while back I did a comparison video of New Williams, Vintage Williams, and a control (Tabac).

WARNING: I make weird faces when I make lather and I say "Uh" a lot:

And a follow up about 30 minutes later to see how the lather was holding up:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Interesting Test.

Many people who could lather with Current Williams simply don't want to because they don't like the smell.
    ARKO gets the same love/hate issues as well.

entropy1049 likes this.
  6. entropy1049

Arko...The very definition of a "Love/Hate Relationship" for me. Love the performance, hate the smell. In my opinion, much, much worse odor than new Williams. The only way I can abide Arko is to leave it in an open container until it stops smelling like a toilet Pez.

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is why if many people would simply grate up either Current Williams or Arko and let it sit in a room (that is not constantly frequented) for a month or so, most of the smell will break down to a much lower level.

entropy1049 likes this.
  8. entropy1049

True, but :rofl:

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

... what about the poor room! :rofl:

PLANofMAN and entropy1049 like this.
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I like to grate and press my Vintage Williams into a shave stick. Because someone once told me you can rub just about anything on your face.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I've been trying out the current Williams for about 2 weeks now. After watching the 3 way lather video, I decided to try to bowl lather instead of face lathering last night. I whipped up a huge bowl of thick, creamy lather from a 15 second load off of the puck. This lather would not dissappear. I let it set in the bowl for 10 minutes. However, it was nowhere near as slick as the lather I get when I lather in a mug on top of the puck. When I lathered up my face, the lather just fell apart, and started to evaporate in front of me. I guess further experimentation is needed.

entropy1049 and GDCarrington like this.
  12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm interested in vintage since I one of the few that can lather new Williams into a thick lasting foam. I just don't want to pay $16 a puck for it. Arko is easy to lather and I don't mind the smell. The price is better then new Williams too, Amazon sells it 12 sticks for $12.49. A puck of new Williams is $1.39 at my local store. I like the price of Williams better then its performance It's not the best soap but I used it for a long time because it was avalible and cheap. Now there are other options and as much as the Williams still has a fond spot in my memories I find that I not reaching for it any more unless I have a nostalgic moment.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    I tried my hand at the Vintage Williams project this evening. My vessel is small, so I used one puck only. About 1.3 oz. I used 4 grams of menthol crystals. I hope that wasn't too much!
    My concoction didn't appear as soupy, but the soap did dissolve, with a lot of stirring. Here is a picture of the finished, albeit still very wet soap.
    I'll report back in a few days after my first shave.
    IMG_5491.JPG

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might want to take a regular paper towel and cover the soap while it dries. I placed mine on a shelf near an open air register so that the air can work on removing the water.

entropy1049 likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    To keep out dirt?

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes and dust that can generate near an air register.

17. Primotenore

Article Team
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looks good so far. Can you smell a slight level of menthol from the soap?

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Oh yeah...do I ever. That's why I first stated that I hoped that I hadn't used too much. We'll see. I have two more vintage pucks and one vintage menthol (no menthol scent remaining) so I can always try again.

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Remember that the menthol will dissipate over time. I had 5 ml menthol versus two pucks so by the time I get to the end of this batch there will be about 1/2 of the menthol strength as when the mixture was new.

Primotenore likes this.