Do you think Dove may be testing the waters so to speak ?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by NapalmCola, Sep 15, 2015.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Well the 8th ingredient in the "Pro" (?) Series is Tallow Acid or Palmitic Acid. In the "Expert" line it is Sodium Tallowate.
    Maybe someone much smarter than I am could mention what the difference is .
    The 12th and 13th ingredients are flipped between the two. Fragrance and Sodium Chloride
    From 14 on there seems to be quite a bit of difference.
    It has gotten my interest though. I will be purchasing the other type and comparing them just for the heck of it. Does the one you have say to use with a brush ?
    I wonder if there is a "Expert", "Pro" and "Plus"(+) series? That would really make this interesting.

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I don't think the Pro line is made to lather with a brush like the expert line.

Clayton

NapalmCola likes this.
  3. NapalmCola

I agree. I sure wonder why it wasn't a hit though. There seems to be a resurgence in traditional shaving. Maybe it has been out for awhile and they threw in the towel around the same time it would have done well ? Maybe at $29.99 and not easily distinguishable as a wet shave product it was passed over ?

4. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

There is no difference. One they listed as the carboxylic acid form and in the other they listed it as the sodium salt form. It doesn't change anything. The chemist for the first one likes using the acid and buffering later. The other likes to use the salt and have an easier time correcting the pH.

5. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

The order of the ingredients reflect the amount of the ingredient in the product (at least here in EU).

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I bought a tube of the Dove Men+Care Pro-Moisture Shave Cream "Hydrate+", and found it to work very well with a brush. It does not create a really foamy lather, but more of a rich foam/paste hybrid. It is very much like Kiss My Face in that regard. Although it might not look like it has much lather, it fills the interior of the brush. Using an almond-sized dab of cream. there was enough for four passes and plenty left over. The lather was easily whipped up and applied (I face lathered), enabling a nearly baby-bottom smooth shave. And that was using a blade past its prime. The directions on the tube say to apply by hand, so this is made as a brushless cream. The scent is vaguely reminiscent of an apple pie baking with a hint of lemon. Of course, that is just my perception and perhaps challenged description, but I found the scent quite pleasant. The scent strength is moderate, but still noticeable after shaving. Just right as far as I am concerned. The lather is slick and very protective, resulting in an easy, smooth, irritation and nick-free shave. The skincare is quite good, too. At $6.49 for 5 oz, the price is reasonable, especially given the quality of the product. This one is definitely a keeper!

Dove is not testing the waters at all. They have a major presence and seem to be making a concerted push for market share. If this cream is typical of their products, the results will be good for both Dove and us.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  7. NapalmCola

Very nice review, thank you. I will be trying this one out in the near future. My middle son and myself prefer the rich lather and will take the time to make it. My oldest son on the other hand prefers either a brushless or something that lathers quickly. He currently uses the Pacific Shaving Company caffeinated shave cream and after shave. This may be perfect for him.
    Thanks again

Shaver X likes this.
  8. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Well based on this thread i went to the 99cents store looking for the shaving creme but they only had the pre shave oil....i splurged on 2 since it was only 99cents....does anyone have experience with this? Ive never really used pre shave oil of any kind before how many of you do?...ill post a review after i use it but i dont have much to compare to.

NapalmCola likes this.
  9. NapalmCola

It was the Dove brand ? I am interested to hear about there pre shave oil. I haven't came across it myself. Can you post some pics of the package and the ingredients if there available? Thanks

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  10. Double Edge Dougy

20150930_095543.jpg

Shaver X and NapalmCola like this.
  11. NapalmCola

This is the only stuff I have found in a .99/$1 store. It is basicly horrible smelling lotion that feels like motor oil. I didn't have the guts to put a razor to my face with it being the only thing between the two. Anyone else come across this stuff and use it ? Did there get a BBS ? Blood Bath Shaving .
    uploadfromtaptalk1443683034741.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1443683040361.jpg

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

my "pre-shave oil" is whatever body wash I use in the shower. But I do like Dove-in fact, it's one of the body-washes I use.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I saw those in the $ store, looked up reviews and passed on it. Overpriced, even at $1.

On the other hand, picked up the Dove hydrating shave cream, smelled marginally better than the sensitive version. Gave it a trial hand lather and it seems to lather okay. I'll give it a real test drive tomorrow.

NapalmCola and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  14. Double Edge Dougy

Interested to hear your thoughts....cant find many creams i like...so i guess one thing ive narrowed down after alot of trial and error is that i guess im a soapman.. still need to try kmf i know thats one you seem to like...gotta a few more things on my list to order before that, but i saw the dove you mention for 4$ if its decent i might give it a shot

NapalmCola likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I mostly picked it up for the scent. It has a modern 'fresh' scent, and that is something I don't have in my soap and cream rotation. A lot of my stuff is Fougére (earthy, mossy, ferny) and the rest is either unscented or one of the old standards, rose, almond/marzipan, lime, lavender, and barbershop (MWF, De Vurgulde Hand, etc) powdery and slightly floral.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the lather is thick and paste-like. It's no Kiss my Face, that's for sure. It reminds me of WSP and The Soap Exchange as far as the lather goes. It doesn't explode, but is rather thick and wet. I have high hopes for this one.

Edit: Kiss my Face makes a very unique lather. Nothing else quite like it. I'll do a side by side photo comparison when I shave later.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Didn't have time to do the photos, but did get a shave in with the Dove Hydrate shave cream. I had to use about double the amount of shave cream as I would for a 'regular' shave cream to get a four pass lather worked up. I think I used too much water, as I ended up with something that actually resembled a lather shave cream. It was a bit lighter than I prefer, so I will have to go back and adjust my cream/water ratios. I used it straight from the tube for touch ups, and I can assure you that it is not a great latherless shave cream. Using a brush and water gives much better results.

Also as a side note, this cream works much better with a synthetic brush than it does with badger. Again, this is most likely a cream/water ratio issue.

The scent is pleasant and strong, and lasted all throughout the shave.

17. Double Edge Dougy

Another .99 cent store purchase....brut after shave balm alcohol free with aloe and shea butter....smells just like the AS which i have a bottle of so thought this was worth a shot grabbed 3....ill report back with performance but already like the scent....would be nice to find an old spice balm 20151010_092525.jpg

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Bit surprised that nobody commented on the origins of the Dove brand ... I thought Americans were history lovers? (or it is a boring piece of information maybe ...)

19. Double Edge Dougy

I'd like to hear it if you know it...ive never heard it or read the history

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I posted it in this thread already. Few pages back.