Tallow and non tallow soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mustache, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

OK. As far as I know, all of my soaps up to this point have been glycerin/oil based. I just received a couple soaps that are definitely Tallow (it says so in the name). Also WSP has just introduced a line of tallow soaps(Formula T).

I was just wondering if there is a benefit to one over the other or is it all about personal preference?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I personally don't have a strong preference as both types can provide excellent, lasting, slick lather. Some have found that certain tallow-based soaps can leave a film behind on all surfaces (skin, razors,etc), but I haven't yet experienced that occurring.
    Some of the best lathering soaps I use are non-tallow, oil-based soaps.

Mustache likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I used to use all three types. The Glycerin being my least favorite, has no longer a representative in my den.
    #1 Tallow
    #2 Oil based

Spyder and Mustache like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.
    I'll use any shave soap as long as it performs well and I like the scent, tallow or not.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Ive never found a vegan soap that can compare to a tallow based soap.

Mustache likes this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I've used great soaps of all types but if I had to choose, it would be tallow because they often have superior post shave feel.

theFAT98 and Mustache like this.
  7. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

I enjoy the Tallow soaps more than the vegan soaps, but with that brig said, there are many excellent vegan soaps in production which rival the tallow formulas. It's all about what you want out of your soap at the end of the day

theFAT98 and Mustache like this.
  8. Mustache

Excellent replies. Thank you. The tallow soap I have almost fills the brush with too much lather... if that's even possible... And being my first tallow base, it got me thinking about pros and cons.

I believe I'll continue to purchase soaps that work for me and not focus on base.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  9. damnitgoose

Great take. It seems that at this point in the market, you have to search to find bad products. This is a problem that not many markets have. It is almost always the exact opposite. I think that this is attributed to the amount of artisans looking to push a product which they enjoy making, instead of making their bottom line the driving factor behind their work.

So my advice is to find the scents and combinations you like to enjoy, and the brands will fall into place. You will have a den full of products which you enjoy using, and the problem becomes what do i want to smell like, instead of, what is going to keep my face from bleeding all over the place.

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Wise words.

Shaver X, damnitgoose and Mustache like this.
  11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i actually like glycerin soaps the most....however i really like tallow soaps aswell.

12. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

That's really true -- we have SO many choices, the only snag is that, at least in the USA, you really almost have to order your stuff online. I'm not complaining (much) but it would be nice to walk down to the corner store and buy a Mühle razor, or a tuck of Polsilver blades -- maybe some Martin de Candre soap, or a Semogue shaving brush.

I know there are some lucky folks who have this luxury, but for almost all the rest of us it's a two-step process of ordering and then receiving (how can 2nd day air seem so long)? I tend to favor tallow soaps, but there are quite a lot of vegan soaps that are excellent -- Martin de Candre is a good example. WSP Rustic soaps are terrific too, and I hear they are now offering tallow soaps as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Shaver X, Tdmsu and Mustache like this.
  13. Mustache

Totally agree on wishing to be able to go to the corner store and handle products before purchase.

I have two samples of the WSP Rustic soap and really like them, definitely going to order more. Their new line of tallow soaps, 'Formula T' is what they are calling it, is what got me wondering the difference and others preference/view.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Funny how much YMMV applies when it comes to soap. I find Soap Commander to be one of the best soaps in my rotation and it's vegan. I also like Stirling and it's tallow based. Both equal as far as I'm concerned.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The ratios of Potassium Hydroxide to Sodium Hydroxide (two forms of lye) in my opinion, have more impact on the soap than the oil or fats used for saponication.

Tallow formulas have for the most part been used in shaving for a longer period of time, allowing the formulas to be perfected. With that caveat out of the way, Saponificio Varesino makes vegetable based soaps that are on a par with any tallow based soap out there.

Norseman, Tdmsu and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1

Also, I am coming to believe that the mineral content of the water used for making the lather has an impact that is often overlooked. I tend to evaluate soap on performance and skinfeel. I might read the label afterward.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. damnitgoose

I have a place down by my place of work. They don't have the niche stuff, but they have a lot of high end products but no artisinal stuff

18. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

There are two places not too far away that carry some things, but at higher prices than online. That changes tomorrow when Michigan law requires online sellers to charge sales tax.

Also, Maggard's is about an hour and a half away - far enough to keep me from spending too much, but close enough for a weekend trip now and then.

Spyder likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They opened up right after I moved out of Adrian, MI which is a bummer. I wouldn't have minded having a wet shaving shop within walking distance.

Spyder and Tdmsu like this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

there are some really good non-tallow soaps that have the look and performance of tallow, so I wouldn't base a purchase on the type, but rather how well it works. Wholly Kaw, Soap Commander, Catties Bubbles, etc. are all vegan soaps that perform great.