Razor storage

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Karl G, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I realize that I have crossed over into a more serious sign of RAD.

There were, or course, tell tale signs which signified the deepening stages of the affliction. Like the first time I found myself bidding on a razor and then hoping I didn't win. Or noticing the duplicates in my growing collection, "Hmm, I have a few duplicates. Well, that's OK, maybe I'll PIF one or use it as a trade." Then the issue of storage started to make itself know. They just don't all fit on the countertop anymore. What to do?

Hoping to find some razors in the wild this weekend I went on an extended hunt to flea markets, estate/garage sales, and antique stores. Nary a razor to be found. But, I did run across this idea for easy storage and access to my growing collection:

Razor storage.JPG

Cigar boxes! They look good, stack easily, and are easy to move if you need the space. With a little felt, you can customize as you like (sharp eyes and good monitors will spot Dodgers and Lakers colors...)

Some more are on the way to accommodate future arrivals but I think I am set for a little while anyways. :happy036:

However, the day may well come when this proves to be a stop gap measure and I'm wondering what others do. Is the next sign of an increased disorder simply keeping some in a different room or closet? I'd love to see and hear how others have solved this conundrum.:cool:

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Old Sowing box...;)
    [​IMG]
    Top open..:cool:
    [​IMG]
    Below...:p
    [​IMG]
    Drawers...:)
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful Collection Sir....I use this old sowing box but its since over flowed to my bedroom drawer....;)
    Billy....:chores016:

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I've have filled up one of Harbor Freight Wood Tool Chest @ $79.99 already . I need another one.

image_11844.jpg

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece. How many razors did it manage to hold?

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Nice....but you should have used orange and black SF

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm a wooden cigar box user myself, I also use wooden test tube holders, both single and double racks, you just need to drill out the bottom holes so the razors fit all the way down. However I'm really liking that Harbor Freight Wood Tool Chest! :happy088: I wonder if brushes would fit in the top?:confused:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'm just glad you guys take every other year off... ;)

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  8. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I use a mini file crate from walmart turned on its side for my DE and SE razors. my straights are in a cigar box but they are all scaleless save one and that lives inside the crate that my safety razors hang from. See my signature link for an older picture of the crate. I have 20+ razors now and over 150 blades.

Douglas Carey and Karl G like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

40-45

clint64 and Karl G like this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello all, well, it became rapidly appearant that I could not hide my growing collection from the Mrs. , so at first I just put them all over the house in whatever niche I could find. Then I bought a display case from a second hand store. That was the best move I could have made. At first my Christina gave me grief about having so many razors, and buying a display case, but she soon realized that she got her shelf space back for her Knick-knacks, and now my razors wouldn't be scattered all over the house. I don't think she totally approves of all the razors yet, but she does realize there are worse things I could be doing with my money.