"DIY" Synthetic Brush Showdown - Choosing YOUR Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by molon_labe, Sep 21, 2015.

1. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

I'm still comparing the Lights, Sunrise, and Fauxmere set to 53mm loft. The Sunrise and Lights are definitely different knots, but they are both great and my favorite 2 out of all of them. The Sunrise has a slightly softer backbone and splays just a little easier. That being said, the Lights is not troublesome to splay and feels slightly denser against the face. It would really come down to personal preference between the 2, if you don't mind a slightly softer backbone the Sunrise is a great alternative to the Lights since it is sold out. Both are leaps above the standard Plisson IMO.

wmbjr and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Thank you for the quick review @molon_labe! Definitely helpful. I would love the extra backbone the lights appears to have. Glad to know the sunrise is also a quality knot.

3. molon_labe

molon_labe Member

FWIW I read the new Plissoft brush from Razorock has a lot of backbone and easy splay. I plan on trying it out if/when they come back in stock.

wmbjr likes this.
  4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My fiance absolutely loves the plissoft brush I got her. She said I should get her another one just in case. It's part of her go to shaveing set up along with truefitt & hill cream and the stahly head on an u working stahly handle.

wmbjr likes this.
  5. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Great writeup. Based on your recommendations I ordered a Whipped Dog 24mm a while ago and it quickly became my favorite synthetic brush. I like it so much I even sold my Plisson ;)
    Wanted to try the Plissoft as well, but at the time I heard about it, it was sold out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

its a bit softer then the WD but still has plenty of backbone. Almost holds too much water.