Decisions, Decisions...Restoration Candidates?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JR Reyes, Oct 13, 2015.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Hello Gents,

I'm just getting started on my straight razor journey, but have manged to find a few gems in the wild. Here are some pictures of the 3 candidates I have in mind for restoration.

Any advice on which order I should go in? My goal is to have at least one of them done as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Start with the easiest first.
    In this instance, it looks to be the Bengall.
    The W&B scales needs some TLC in restoring; and the Torrey needs new scales.

gssixgun likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

Thanks Kevin. The W&B Butcher scales look like they are horn, but have insect damage. The one with the etching is not as bad as the opposite side, but I'm not sure if they can be saved. I agree that the W&B should be sent to a pro.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I concur :p

From the pics the Bengal is "the" razor

5. JR Reyes

thanks Glen. Do you think the W&B scales can be salvaged? Or should I have it re-scaled. I really like the look of the W&B on your homepage. What kind of scales are those?

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you are going to send one out for a restore, you better get crackin. The pro's are busy and Christmas is only 10 weeks away

7. JR Reyes

Ohhhh..that's a really good point. Didn't think about that...thanks

8. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Yup,bengal. Minimal hone wear so have it hone professionaly so you have a reference of what shave ready is. When you start honing,use the torrey to learn on.
    Would be a shame to burn up a wb learning.:signs107:

9. Honer

Honer Member

image.jpg What restoration. Those look great as the are. Two of them need new scales. That is $20 each for bone or horn with pins and wedge. This is not oragami, it is not that tough. If you have a buffer you can make them shiny. Just don't overheat by dipping in water as you go. Read up on buffing a razor so you don' t fling said razor at 100 ft. per second into yourself or a bystander.

JR Reyes likes this.
  10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with most others here that the Bengal looks the best. They all are shave worthy. The Bengal just needs honing probably.

I agree with Honer. You don't need to spend a lot of money and get these "restored". The Wade and Butcher scales aren't that bad, just not pretty. Go on ebay and buy two pair of scales and pins or get the kind with washer and nut.

The main thing is to get them honed, if you don't hone them yourself.

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

It is Amber Flame Acrylic,, You can't really see the Black swirls in the acrylic from the pic I used to do quite a few Sheffield razors in it, I can't really see the insides of the scales but from what I can see they look a little dry/delaminating and bug bit.. With the stamp in them it would be worth having a good look before making a decision :)

JR Reyes likes this.