How's Your Day? October 2015

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Sep 30, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks buddy! :)

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks, Paul! :)

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

what can I say? In the 7 or so years I've been a customer there, the ladies' customers have been men only.

yw...and your Sharks are beating my Capitals 3-0 at last check.

the tournament kicked off the season? Interesting switch. And glad you got revenge on the kid :).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
    Sara-s likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Today I climbed one of our Pacific NW mountains. I did it in wearinfg a pair of sneakers, shorts and a Tshirt. I generally suggest people have a backpack with proper equipment, maps, survival gear, etc. but today I threw caution to the wind and decided to face the elements with nothing but the clothes on my back. The mountain was Mt. Tabor, and like most of our mountains it's an extinct volcano. This volcano is only about 636 feet high though, and is a great city park. To be honest, I drove up about half way and then walked the rest of the way on a mainly cement path.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I had another tutoring session with my student. I taught her some English & she taught me some Dari. This is actually very good for her; teaching someone your own language forces you to comprehend rules of language more deeply.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've always said I would hate to be a foreigner trying to learn the "rules" of the English language!

7. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

My sincerest condolences. May she rest in peace.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

We don't need no stinkin' rules! ;)

Intrigued likes this.
  9. richgem

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And therein lies my point - English has no "rules"!!!!

11. richgem

* ahem* I believe the proper construction would be "... ain't got no rulez." :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    macaronus and swarden43 like this.
  12. Norseman

As a "foreigner" I think the English language was an easy language to learn.
    The rules are pretty simple and with the impact that English speaking movies, games and music has had on western culture has at least given me a lot of free lessons.
    I learned most of my English from playing video games and reading fantasy novels.
    Granted I am no expert, but I do manage to make myself (somewhere) understood without turning to Google translate.

German on the other hand. That was a struggle.

macaronus likes this.
  13. Norseman

American English has no rules. The Queens English has plenty. Or so I have been told by some smart Alec I used to work with :)

macaronus and swarden43 like this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

True! German was more than a struggle! All those grammatical cases! Bleh! :angry019:
    English on the other hand was easy-peasy. One of my favourite subjects.
    If I understand correctly, Danish grammar is horrible (even to the Danes!)

15. richgem

Really? Even as a Dutch-speaker? I thought that the two were often mutually understandable.

I took German for 2 years and aside from some memorization (of the genders) and getting used to the weird (to an English-speaker) word order, I didn't think the grammar was that bad.

macaronus likes this.
  16. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

I can think of a half-dozen places I'd rather be right now at this exact moment, but I'm still happier to be at this job than at my old one!

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

"ain't got no rules" is a good example of the point of a book my Mom saved that was a textbook my Dad used in 1947. The idea was , if you want to express a point, keep it short and simple, don't beat around the bush. "Ain't got no rules" is simpler than "We don't have any rules". Well, actually that is a POOR example, but maybe you get the point, lol.

macaronus likes this.
  18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That's why English as spoken in the south is so perfect. We have eliminated many unnecessary letters and syllables. Instead of saying "I am going to", we say "ah moan" as in "ah moan go to the store". Another example is getting rid of the unnecessary G at the end of words like goin' fixin' eatin' etc.... If I could only get auto correct on board. It took me twice as long to type this as it should have.

swarden43 likes this.
  19. richgem

Then, please explain "fixin' to" as indicative of intent or as future tense. Y'alls ain't fixin' nothin'.

20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

First of all, y'all is plural and never has an s on the end. That would be like saying sheeps. As to Fixin' it is used in the sense of preparing as in " I'm fixin chicken for supper" or it is used to indicate imminent intention, as in "I'm fixin' to make supper". Therefore it is perfectly understandable to all southerners when someone says " I'm fixin' to start fixin' supper."