Zamak Free Zone

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bymainer, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

Ok- after a recent response to another thread, I found myself searching online for the term "zamak". Little did I know that razors were made from pot metal type materials. If you have a moment, please share you top-non-zamak de recommendations. Cheers!

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Vinatge Gillettes...3 piece, TTO, and adjustables.

3. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

Watching this 64' J3 super speed right now. Not sure what's too much to invest in one of these, but looks pretty nice

[​IMG]

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If you want to stay away from it, you still have plenty of options. Vintage Gillettes are brass, although the later model Techs have Zamak top caps. I think the only modern brass razor is the Fatip.

Ikon makes some with aluminum heads and there's Standard who I think still makes an all aluminum razor.

Then there are a bunch of stainless steel razors which are generally pretty pricey. Above the Tie makes some really nice ones and they're always available. Seems like most of the other ones just make small production runs and when they sell out they're unavailable for a while.

Bymainer likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That would be a Slim Adjustable, and in good shape can go as high as $40.

My favorite non-Zamak razors are the Gillette Fatboy and the Cooper MonoBilt (also called a Swingtop).

Bymainer likes this.
  6. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Parker says they have brass 'frames'. Not sure if this means some parts are zamak, but the part the blade rests on is brass? If they were 100% plated brass, you would think they would say that. Given they are a foreign company, perhaps loss in translation, not sure. Cursory google search didn't help much.

Bymainer likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    1953 Gillette President. Rhodium plated.
    DSCF8430s.jpg

Bymainer likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Fully stainless steel razors.

Slow Joe, Bama Samurai and Bymainer like this.
  9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I think the best material is stainless steel. Second comes aluminum. Third brass. Zamak is not an ideal material for razors.

High quality stainless steel:
    - The razor will outlast you without any maintenance at all and it will still look good when your children inherit it.

Aluminum:
    - If you have anodized aluminum, you are able to make your razor look like new with very simple means at home. It is easy to anodize the razor again, making the surface stronger and better.

Brass:
    - Brass is very durable but requires a plating. This means sending the razor away for replating sometimes.
    - Without a plating, brass razor might catch the bronze disease. I have seen this disease on old razor myself.
    - With good care, a brass razor will last very long. There are over 100 years old razors still in use.

Zamak:
    - Zamak is having a reaction with alkali substances, for example soap. The smallest injury in the plating allows soap to enter and destroy the razor.

Norseman, Jim99 and Bymainer like this.
  10. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

Engblom - that was a great explanation of the differences- thank you very much!

11. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Likewise. Feather AS-D2 is a great razor.

Bymainer likes this.
  12. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Sent an email to well known vendor about Parker's construction and if they are 100% plated brass or not. Will post back here if I get a response.

Bymainer and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. galhatz

galhatz Member

The problem i faced with stainless steel razors is that blades if left wet in the razor can a do stain, and that stain is sticky and sticks to stainless steel surfaces, especially if they are not mirror polished. I had a Lord blade rust inside my Tradere and it was a royal pain to clean. Had it been on a smooth plated surface, it could have been simply wiped off.

I have NEWs (30's?), Old Types (20's?), 1912 GEMs, 1901 patented Lather Catchets and even a 1886 Kampfe ... All brass and all look great. I'm not worried about the longevity of brass razors.

And of current production, as mentioned above, the Fatip is all brass and it is an outstanding razor.

Bymainer and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

My one experience with an aluminum razor is the Gillette Super Adjustable I picked up on eBay. It actually has a pair of holes in the handle (I knew about them at the time) which, I'm told, are from galvanic corrosion of the dissimilar metals in the razor.

15. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I haven't had that problem with the AS-D2. My understanding is the coating prevents any rust or staining when wet blades remain in contact.

Bymainer likes this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

My Vintage Gillettes.........

[​IMG]

Bymainer, Jim99 and Redfisher like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Yep I saw the same thing when I cleaned a SA in the ultrasonic. Bubbles coming from tiny holes in the handle. You can't see them normally but they are there. I think the SA was made cheap compared to the Slim. The 1970's was when Gillette quality started to decline. Another one for me to get rid of.

Bymainer likes this.
  18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

A fine set of shaving devices you have there!

Bobcat and Bymainer like this.
  19. Toypeu60

Toypeu60 New Member

Pils razor stainles steel

Slow Joe and Bymainer like this.
  20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

+1 on the Pils fantastic razor.