The Protector

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Protector

Picked up one of the Wilkinson Protector razors - and it arrived in the mail from the UK today.

The Protector razor was created by the British designer Kenneth Grange in 1992 and due to Schick and Wilkinson being held by the same company the same razor was released under both names but in different markets ("Schick" for North American" and "Wilkinson for ROTW).

Apart from the curvy design of the razor (I might even be tempted to say that the Webb was inspired by the Protector) - the one very novel thing about the razor were the wires that protected (hence the name of the razor) anyone from accidentally cutting themselves on the blades.

Sample commercial here showing the feature:

Models
    As far as I know there were at least three base models of the razor;
    - Protector (original), including the elusive all metal one,
    - Protector 3, and
    - Protector 3D Diamond.

There may well have been others.

Does, btw, anyone know if this razor is still being actively produced and sold?
    I've seen some on UK's Amazon but not sure if that is old stock being sold off or not.

Fun quote an article from The Guardian in 2011;
    "Grange's handle was as curvaceous as Jessica Rabbit and as ergonomic as a pebble in the hand – much like one of his later door handles for Izé. From this apogee, however, the story goes badly wrong. For all his commercial nous, Grange was still a modernist – he put function first. His successors, flogging their metallic millefeuilles and their techno-lubrication strips, are trapped in a baroque world of spurious functionality. As Grange put it to me on the subject of the five-bladed razor: "Three of the f**kers don't do anything.""

I think Sir Kenneth Grange would be great guy to have a pint with :D

In box:
    [​IMG]

Out of the box:
    [​IMG]

Fantastic feeling handle, extremely well balanced and the half-metal-half-plastic seems to work really well here. I think these are some serious sleek lines:
    [​IMG]

Comes in rather neat case
    [​IMG]

..where you can store a pack of cartridges in the back of it.
    [​IMG]

Mine is the "3D Diamond" iteration of the razor and I can't wait to take it for a spin.

I know it's not a 87 year old razor using proprietary blades carefully restored back to its former glory (well, I mean I did cut open the box with a pair of scissors and all) - but I think it's good to be able to find beauty in any tool new or old and in this case the Protector is as handsome as any of them :)

Keithmax, engrsaks, Leo K. and 2 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great write up. Great score. :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088: Now I'm looking for one. :D

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Protector 3 is still sold, this was the latest version. It disappeared, but has found it's way back into Boot's stores. The Protector 3 is a triple blade version of the Protector, the equivalent of the Sensor 3...

Darkbulb likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks. The one I'm "hunting" now is the German "Metall" one :)
    I really do like the feel of this handle. Go Grange!

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Do you have a photo?

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@Sabre

Video:

Image:
    [​IMG]

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Ah, so just a metal version of the original design. Such as my extremely rare Goldeneye 007 Protector ;) ...

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah I do like the all metal option quite a bit.

That 007 Protector of yours is not something one comes across every day year .... drool....

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

There are very few razors that I am missing, but a possible metal Wilkinson Sword Profile mk1 and a Wilkinson Sword Duplo of 1983 elude me.
    The Duplo has been on eBay, but I didn't think the amount was realistic. I am overjoyed that I got the Profile mk2, and a WII previously...

What will happen to our collections when we are gone? :(

Leo K. and Darkbulb like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think I remember seeing your Profile mk2 haul. That was a nice find.

Once we're gone I fear that many collections..regardless if it's razors, pots, comics or coasters - are likely to be sold for pennies on the dollar and/or simply thrown out.
    Of course it's possible t0 make some arrangements w/in the family (I know of people that maintain s/sheets with what the things should be worth...but when that day comes I am not sure it will always be remembered/found/used.

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Sensor collection which we grabbed at was probably someone's pride and joy. If not, it should have been :) ...

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Great Review Sir...;)
    Billy,,:chores016:

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the video's, Wilkinson Swords UK adverts were always pretty lame ...

Darkbulb likes this.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I just bought a yellow Protector 3D (I may have it already), so now I definitely have all three types. I want a red original in plastic, I have those ghastly fun ones which I think are plastic ...;)

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think they were pretty keen on coming out with football team themed ones as well. :)

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I would rather cut my own throat ;) than shave with a Manchester United branded razor. I think I may have a football club version...

17. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your write-up Darkbulb, wow, a fascinating design and interesting history!

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I'll post my SOTD here as well to sort of 'wrap it up':

Shave Report

Had a most excellent shave this morning as I took the Protector on it's maiden voyage into the den.
    Two passes and I walked away with a very close and clean shave with zero irritation or redness.
    I really, really like the handle on this razor it fits amazingly well in my hand.
    If I would pick one area that could had been improved on it was that I felt that I needed to rinse the razor much more frequently than when I use a DE razor - this, may of course simply be because of the design with multiple blades clogging up easier. Still - a really fantastic shave was had.

Gear:
    Wilkinson Protector
    L'Occitane Plisson
    T&H 1805
    Floid Blue

[​IMG]

EnglishChannel likes this.
  19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It does look attractive, I think I should have bought it ;) ...

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

But you would have kept it in the box ;)