Confidence shattering cut

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hodge, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive been using a straight razor (Friodur Inox) weekly for one pass as I slowly break into straight razor shaving. The first two times I shaved with the straight were pretty good without any nicks or weepers. That all changed Saturday evening when I decided to use the straight for my first pass as I have the past several weekends. I had shaved my right cheek without incident and then as I prepared to make a pass just below my jawbone I made a correction in blade angle as I looked in the mirror and whammo I sliced sideways instead of a downward stroke and opened a 1" long deep slice. There was no pain just blood flowing profusely. I managed to stop the bleeding with direct pressure but probably could have used a stitch or two.

I will wait until the cut is healed before trying the straight again but don't know if my shattered confidence will be overcome easily. I was hoping others might chime in with their own horror stories to show me Im not the only one.

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have been shaving with a straight or shavette since March. The vast majority of my cuts have been from setting the blade down too hard while it was at the wrong angle. I did a pretty good one this weekend trying to get a BBS, and it could have used a stich or two as well. For me, it makes me more aware of things, but hasn't dampened my enthusiam to keep at it. One or two spine widths from the skin for the angle. That seems to help me. I will often set the razor down flat on the skin, and then pull it up to get the angle as well. (Although if you do that too hard you pull up a flap of skin. Or so I have heard.)

Keep at it! If it was easy, it wouldn't be as satisfying to learn and do!

wristwatchb, Kizurra and ejmolitor37 like this.
  3. Honer

Honer Member

They are very clean cuts and heal nicely. I hope you don't need stitches.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. This was what I needed to hear, specially since I have another straight waiting for me at the post office :cool:

Irononically enough the cut is just below a scar on my jaw line that I got playing with one of my dads razors when I was 6yrs old. Apparently Ive been struggling with correct blade angle for some time now.....

5. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

It can be a little unsettling to grab the blade again after you have done some damage. I've never really cut my face badly enough that I caused any bleeding, so that hasn't been an issue for me. I keep the blade angle shallow and use very little (yet firm and controlled) pressure. Also, I am down to the point where I can get a smooth shave with one pass using a DE. But, with the straight I allow myself at least two passes to make sure I don't try to do it all in one. Mind you, I am a daily shaver, so that makes it easier with the DE and I do use a polishing method with both the DE and straight to reduce the amount of passes needed - if not, I would say to use 3 passes with the straight.

I have however given myself a nice gouge on the finger with the straight. I was switching hands and got sloppy. As I passed the straight from one hand to the other, the receiving hand's index finger got under the blade. The edge only barely touched my finger, but the blade was so sharp that it entered into my flesh with little effort. At first, I thought it hadn't even cut, but then after a 3 second delay my finger started slowly and persistently redecorating our washroom floor, mats, wall, counter, and sink
    [​IMG]

Now, whenever I don't have the blade against my face, I move pretty darn slowly and deliberately. Unless it's touching my face, I treat the razor like I'm in the middle of disarming a bomb! This also helps to prevent me from chipping the edge against the sink or fosset.

:rofl:

wristwatchb and Kizurra like this.
  6. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I still have a scar on my cheek from a careless moment two years ago. I was shaving at a campground and the mirror was not very clear. When I tried to start my basic downward cheek stroke, I misjudged the distance between the blade and my skin and tapped myself. That was all it took, and I looked like I had been in a swordfight! Thank goodness for styptic pencils. The scar is barely noticeable now, just a depression in the form of a straight line suspiciously at the top of my beard growth, but from a distance you can't even see it. I had to wait to shave again until I healed, but I got antsy and tried shaving too soon, which reopened it. Don't do that, btw... I never lost my nerve from it, rather I got irritated by having to wait.

Kizurra and Hodge like this.
  7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is why I like "safety " razors! Key word " safe " I have 2 straights and a shavette in the drawer that I keep saying I'll use some time but probably never will. I hope you heal up quickly! BTW chicks dig scars, or so I've heard...

zec668 and Hodge like this.
  8. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

straights definitely have a zero tolerance for a learning curve. It has been many months since I have used a straight, but every time I lather, something deep inside is making me lean toward trying it again. Kind of like a tattoo, you get one and you'll usually want another.

9. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I think we've been there. I learned the hard way as well.

When you shave with a straight for some time you start a routine (shave the same side then move to next part). Whenever I try to change my routine or make an adjustment while the blade is on my skin I get cut.
    Best thing to remember,If you 2nd guess any movement or that have any hesitation, take the blade off your face and take a moment to think about it. A couple of seconds can save you a lot of pain and suffering.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I did the same thing too. I think we all need to do it once so we learn to never do it again. It took a while but the scar went away. I still remember that cut so hopefully I will never make that sideways movement again. It was embarrassing to explain to people when they asked h0w I cut myself.

Just like Adam I also had a couple cuts from setting the blade down too hard on the skin.

It is part of the learning process, don't worry you will continue to improve.

wristwatchb, Kizurra and JoeB like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I was explaining it all day.... It was like "what did you do, cut yourself shaving" chuckle chuckle. Most were surprised when I told them It was in fact from shaving.....with a straight no less.

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  12. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly! I was using a Feather Artist Club with a Professional blade when the tip of the razor caught the soft part of my cheek just above my mustache area and left a good half inch cut. Now, though, I have a vintage straight that I just obtained and it is mighty tempting.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I alternated between knife fight and I was scratched.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

Hi. My name is Eric and I am a straight razor user. I actually just cut myself over the weekend shaving. Went from my right hand to my left which I struggle with and got turned around in the mirror and went straight into my cheek. Just about a 1/4" long and I have done it a couple times with my shavette so don't feel bad and get back on the horse. Like I always tell people I work with you aint the first one to do it here and you wont be the last. Good luck and shave on :bounce015:

15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks. I actually tried out my new ERN Crown & Sword straight last night. Although it was just a pass on each cheek, I was pleased with myself.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have used straights daily almost exclusively for the past two years. I've had relatively few cuts what I would consider severe—ones that require a pause in the shave to stop the bleeding. The majority of my blood-letting have been clean, little slices that weep. I consider all of these experiences akin to the 'speed bumps' one encounters while driving one's car, ensuring you don't wander off the road. You do have to allow time for the slices to heal (along the jaw line is a common location for SR slices, as well as the cheeks) before dragging a blade across it again.
    If ya' fall off, brush yourself off, and git back on that horse!

17. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the cut and I hope it heals cleanly.
    Do not be discouraged cause you already know your growth direction and thats half the battle.
    Everyones growth is different so what works for some may not work for others. The key is going really slow and instilling safe movements with the least risk as your learning what will become habitual. What works for me on my jawline is I lower my chin, open mouth and pull my cheek upward so whole curve of the jawline is now on a flat plane on the front of my face so I can pass over it just like my cheek. Down,up,left,right with no awkward handholds or angles. Near my ear same but mouth closed. I also add this area in with my neck passes,chin up, head tilted in opposite directio, mouth closed while pullin skin donward from base of my neck thus pulling that area of skin into another flatter plane enabling me an up,down and 30 degree x stroke.
    Once healed feel free to try these movements and let me know if they work or do not work for you.

18. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Lite touch, let the blade do the cutting, only on your beard hairs.

wristwatchb and Hodge like this.
  19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Straights aren't very tolerant of user mistakes. Technique, technique, technique. I don't care how long you've be using them, if you get sloppy, they'll make you pay. Good luck.

wristwatchb and Hodge like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-Frank Herbert

wristwatchb, Hodge and barbersurgeon like this.