Wolfman Razor worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gott654, Oct 31, 2015.

1. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

I'm currently looking into some nice razors and I'm unsure what to do so I thought I'd put it to the forum for some help. I've contacted Wolfman and discussed what the cost would be for a DC brass version, and it's similar in price to ATT or just about any other stainless steel razor. So I guess what I'm asking is it worth the wait? Or should I consider other options?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

From what I know, absolutely yes worth the wait.

3. gott654

And since Wolfman is pretty much the only one that offers a dual comb option.......I'll have to wait

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Have you looked into the Ikon Shavecraft #101?

DanElHombre likes this.
  5. gott654

Actually, I haven't. I don't really know anything about them. Are ikon razors good?

6. cmorris357

I have an OSS, which is a discontinued dual comb that was replaced by the 101, and a 102 slant. Both are great shavers.

7. cmorris357

I wouldn't put them in the same quality as Wolfman, but for $75 it's a good option.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1.

I will be honest in that after his July 1 bump in cost it not the same 'deal' it used to be for this, still, amazing razor.
    When I got mine I believe it was about USD 160 for a razor - now it's USD 220 or so.

9. gott654

If you don't mind me asking, which Wolfman do you have, and how do you rate it's aggressiveness?

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have the dual-comb head w/ the WRH7 handle in brushed stainless steel.
    I posted an 'unboxing' thread here with more photos than you'd want to see :)

One of the good things about Wolfman is that you can 'custom order' how aggressive you want the head to be.
    One of the more common modifications he does is referred to as "+P" modification" where the blade gap is increased from from .63mm to .74mm.
    That's the way I ordered mine and I love how it shaves. Aggressive but never 'dangerous'. I feel that it can take out any stubble there is but without me fearing it will nick me.
    Now, what is great is that if you feel that you want it to be a bit more aggressive you can send the head back to Wolfman and he will adjust it for you to your liking. Back then that was a free service and I'd check with James to see if that service is still available.

I also posted my first reactions to shaving with it here (in that same thread)

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I found it worth the wait. I have a Polished WR1-OC with the standard blade gap. I purchased just the head and was lucky enough to get my order in before the price increase.

So true. The deal used to be much better. Your cost is for the full razor ( head and handle). His razor handles are priced more in line with custom handles but given his level of workmanship that is fair. If you choose the razor head only, it's $134 which is less than a head only from Above the Tie. In my opinion the Wolfman has a higher level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.

I will most likely order another razor head when he opens up for orders again.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  12. gott654

Everyone seems to really like them. I was quoted a price of $180 for a WR1-DC and a WRH-2 in brass. It seems to me that the materials used plays a part in the cost

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I would think so. Brass is much easier to machine. I am sure he increases the costs for those wanting a titanium razor and handle.

14. gott654

Everyone who has one seems to like them. And they sure are beautiful. How do you like your open comb? I'm strongly considering the DC version but I'm still kind of on the fence. Did you get yours with he standard blade gap?

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I had considered the DC version but my favorite DE razors are OC so I decided to go with OC version. After talking with James, I went with the standard gap. I would rate the closeness of the shave equal to or a little better than an ATT R2 but much smoother. This is about perfect for me on work mornings. I am thinking about ordering a 2nd head with the increased blade gap for those times I want something more.

16. gott654

I might just buy an open comb ATT. The whole instant gratification thing is kind of appealing too

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hmm I wonder if you could have him alter the blade gap on one side of your OC head and leave the other as is. A bit like a Gibbs +/- head :D

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

There is something to be said for that. A better idea might be getting the ATT open comb and use it while you are waiting on the Wolfman list to open and have your razor made.

It's an idea but I'll hold out for the order list to open up.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. gott654

Killer idea! I'm gonna find out if he will or not. I hope so, because it seems like a good way to get 2 razors in one. Then again maybe he'd prefer to sell 2 razors

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do post what you find out :)