Fall/winter eats

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by gorgo2, Oct 10, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Homemade vegetable soup with hamburger meat/shredded beef, and homemade cornbread
    Chile
    Taco soup
    Potato soup
    Smoked ham
    Smoked turkey

Joef likes this.
  2. rxshave

rxshave Member

Venison anything

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    One of my favorite fall dishes is a regional varient of túrós csusza, or Hungarian cottage cheese and noodles.
    It's a hundred year old recipe that's been passed down through our family. I've never seen the recipe posted online, so if anyone wants it, I'd be more than happy to post it here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

S Barnhardt and NapalmCola like this.
  4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

And I thought Potato pancaces with apple sauce were kind of a german thing ;) You'll find that on every christmas market around here - and it's one of my winter favorites :happy088:

The kielbasa looks amazing btw.

5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Yes please.

barbersurgeon likes this.
  6. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Made a batch of red beans and rice on Sunday. Guess that was the start of my winter cooking season.

Pre-soak beans using the quick 1 hr method. I drain the soak water and rinse them. I used ~half a small bag the small red beans, not kidney for this.

Diced a yellow onion, and two stalks of celery. Also some biased cut smoked sausage. (Didn't have andouille, if you use that, adjust spices for heat) Saute until tender. Add a few cloves of diced garlic and saute a bit more. Add red pepper flakes, tabasco and/or cayenne to your heat level. Add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and a can of chicken broth. About a teaspoon or more of thyme and some fresh ground black pepper, stir and add beans to simmer for ~40 mins. I added a bit of water to cover up the beans.

After 40 mins, I added 1/3-1/2 cup of long grain white rice. Made sure there was enough liquid, adjust as needed. Simmer for anther 20 mins or so. Served with a bit of sour cream and tabasco. If you add salt stir it in at the end. For me the low sodium chix broth and sausage bring enough to the dish. Plus tabasco finish at table.

I would have added a diced bell pepper to the saute, but didn't have one on hand. Could also add a can of diced green chilies.

(Doesn't pass Paleo/Primal, but there are worse foods for me to eat.)

Edit: I know that RB&R should be cooked in separate pots, and served with the beans over the rice. I'm a big fan of the one knife, one board, one pot method.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  7. DDuckyMark

I mix my beans with my rice after the first meal to save space in the fridge. I make a cuban style blackbean more often then a cajun redbean.

8. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

In reality, I was trying to "replicate" a less processed version of a RB&R packet like vigo or mahatna:

https://vigofoods.com/catalog/product/2147/vigo-red-beans-rice

https://www.mahatmarice.com/en-us/products/63/RedBeansRice.aspx

I used to buy these packets when I was in college every few weeks to make a quick meal with some left over sausage or ham added. Was feeling a bit nostalgic but wanted a less processed version.

Cuban black beans with roast pork and fried plantains is favorite of mine!

Ryan B likes this.
  9. DDuckyMark

My fiance is nearly vegan so it makes cooking complete healthy meals more challenging. she will eat milks creams and cheeses but little else if it comes from an animal.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I do the same, except with red beans like most Boricuas do.

11. Ryan B

My mom had me learn how to make rice and beans (Puerto Rican) so that way I would have at least one quality dinner when I moved out... or so she said. I think the real reason was so that I could make it for her when she became too old and decrepit... I have learned other Puerto Rican dishes since then as well.

richgem likes this.
  12. Ryan B

Tonight I made Puerto Rican corned beef with white rice and a fried egg. It might be a poor man's dish, but at least it isn't McDonald's! It's a great filling meal even though it doesn't really get cold in South Florida.

13. Ryan B

That has to be difficult. I thought about going vegan for a few seconds, but then remembered I had a steak marinating. I do have vegetarian dishes sometimes, but I can't go without eating meat altogether.

14. Ryan B

I second that.

15. DDuckyMark

I grew up in a part of Florida so far south that I've heard people describe it as Northern Cuba. I picked up a lot of recipes just hanging out with friends while their parents were cooking. I did the same with puerto rican food, cajun food, southern food and some haitian food.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Cottage Cheese & Noodles.

ingredients:
    6 oz. Wide Egg Noodles
    16 oz. Small Curd Cottage Cheese
    1 Large Egg
    1 Bunch Green Onions, chopped (discard the bulb)
    3 Tablespoons Butter
    3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
    1 1/4 Teaspoons Salt
    Pepper to taste
    3 Cups Milk
    Medium Chedder Cheese

Add noodles to boiling water, cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little salt to the water to keep the noodles from sticking to each other. Strain and set aside the noodles.

Mix the cottage cheese and egg together, set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, sauté the onions, do not brown. Add the milk, salt and pepper. Add the flour slowly, stirring constantly to keep the flour from forming lumps. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally. Cook until the sauce mixture is rather thick.

Grease a 2 or 3 quart casserole dish (or use non stick cooking spray). Add 1/2 of the noodles to form the bottom layer, then add the cottage cheese mixture, spread it evenly. Add the rest of the noodles. Top with the white sauce mixture. Sprinkle generously with grated Chedder cheese.

Bake uncovered at 350° for 30 minutes. Let it cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

*You can substitute non-fat milk & No Yolks® noodles. It still won't make this dairy masterpiece a "healthy" recipe, but this is all about "comfort food."

If anyone makes this, I'd appreciate your thoughts. :)

Ryan B likes this.
  17. DDuckyMark

I may go to the store later and try this tonight. If I lie about the egg I think I can sneak this meal out on to the table.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Cooked up a lovely meal last night with the missus. Brined Chipotle Pork Loin with southwest barbeque sauce (homemade) and peach chutney (also homemade) with steamed broccoli and smashed fingerling garlic potatoes. Followed up with cheesecake and carrot cake.
    [​IMG]
    It was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. She didn't care for the chutney, but I thought it offset the spiciness of the pork and barbeque sauce nicely.
    Edit: the photo doesn't show it, but that pork loin is about two inches thick. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    richgem likes this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Recipes please. :drool:

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Cooler temps call for more gumbo. We eat it all year long, but more so during what suffices for winter in our South of I-10 neck of the swamps.