Aftershaves...which camp are you in?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Salty Belle, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Do you prefer aftershaves with or without alcohol?
    With or without witch hazel?
    With both?
    Prefer a moisturizing aftershave?

What's your cup of tea... so to speak?

Robyflexx and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My cup of tea is an aftershave that does it's job. That means fights burn and infected follicles, moisturizes my skin and doesn't reek of perfume. What it contains (alcohol, wh and so forth) is of less importance to me.

An after shave that leaves me with a need for a facial cream is a failed one IMHO - at least if it's for daily use.

3. Salty Belle

Got it...lightly scented, conditioning/moisturizing:)

4. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

My favorite is dr jons artic hydra.
    Alcohol, rose water, wh, alum, fragrance. Love the face feel just wish it lacked the alum. Some point this year going to mix my own with a couple other things and minus the alum.

5. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Moisturizing, a nice lasting scent, and menthol!

6. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Both; TSD Barber Shoppe aftershave splash and Captains Choice Bay Rum are my go to for both alcohol and witch hazel.

Dave

Kizurra likes this.
  7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

With alcohol and menthol.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have grown to like aftershave lotions that finish my shave, leaving my face feeling soft, healed, and with a lasting scent.
    soft-love to facerbate, like when the wife notices the softness
    healed-alcohol, wh whatever you pros put in to finish and keep my skin happy, I like a little after buzz of menthol.
    lasting scent- I spend hours finding great smelling, great performing shave soaps and creams. love them (and buy them), but then I'm faced with wanting to keep that aroma by either buying matching balms or trying to find complementing products. I prefer the former. case in point,I like how I can use soap commander soap and matching balm. it promotes the scent of the soap I picked in the first place. some guys don't care, I'm not one. I like everything to match. and I think people around me notice. you've got a very discerning nose, it shows in the product I've got and the reviews I've read. I'd certainly love to smell like a perfect gent, all day long. so I'd be first on the list to get the matching balm.

one little side note,I really don't have forty bucks for my shave cream( it's knocked out tabac,mdc, and some others). if I could get a soap and matching balm for like 25, I'm prolly there all day long, and eventually have your full lineup. good luck hope this helps.
    d

Kizurra likes this.
  9. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I only have 3 aftershaves now. an Alcohol based splash, a witch hazel based moisturizing balm and an alcohol based moisturizing balm. I pick and choose based on how my shave goes.

Kizurra and pvtbanks like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I focus mine on the weather, but in saying that, I don't have 365 different aftershaves for the year.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I like an aftershave that leaves my face feeling good. I like a light menthol, but don't care if it has alcohol or not. Some of my favorites are Clubman, Jabonman, Maggard's, The Shave Den, and Aqua Velva. I like a scent that is long lasting, without being overpowering. Moisturizer is good. If I have a choice between with or without alcohol, I typically pick the one with alcohol.

Kizurra and 45auto like this.
  12. Salty Belle

So much good input. Thanks guys!

13. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

As was stated a few times already, anything that is going to make my face heal and feel hydrated. Love the aftershave milks from tsd, and cc bay rum.
    I'm guessing from what I have tried that if it does have alcohol, it should at least have glycerin or aloe or both. But I'm no pro

Kizurra and JR Reyes like this.
  14. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I prefer aftershaves with moisturizing ingredients, but alcohol splashes are also good with me. I will use balms from time to time as well.

Kizurra likes this.
  15. Bosoxfan

Bosoxfan Active Member

Whatever is in Myrsol is what I like. Also like alcohol based AS.

Kizurra likes this.
  16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Alcohol...usually a green or blue one.

RyX and Kizurra like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I do WH without alcohol and then I do an aftershave with alcohol. Pinaud or Aqua Velva.

RyX and Kizurra like this.
  18. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

+1 for aloe.

Joef and Kizurra like this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like an aftershave with alcohol. I guess it's just a carryover from my electric days and I'm addicted to the sting.

:shocked003:

RyX, Robyflexx, Joef and 1 other person like this.
  20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

If it's any help at all, my own homemade contains alcohol, glycerin, castor oil, aloe vera, witch hazel and vitamin E. Love it!
    Next batch will contain the same plus some tea tree EO's to help with the occasional ingrown and infected follicle along with the alcohol, but also to give it a fresh scent. I kinda like the tea tree scent.

Joef and Kizurra like this.