Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

Used it today as pass#2 after my slim on 9; both with day 2 ASP. Can say.... its smoother and less audible than my adjustables though I think it might be a bit too mild for my taste. Coming from straights, made to use a DE (one-handed), I get better shaves-prefer the shaves- from my super 109s and slim set on 9....

Then again. YMMV.

BeShaved likes this.
  2. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

Ok so I've been using my parat for a while now and a have since also picked up an HD (which oddly weighs almost 75g) that has become my daily driver, and I can now say that I really love the rockets!
    The HD has a slightly larger blade gap than my parat, which is the same as my red tip that I have also recently acquired, but I think the extra heft does it.
    I know ppl love the red tip to death and I took it for today's shave, but it's still not as smooth and efficient as either of my rockets.

3. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Totally agree with that. The HD is such a good razor that I have to force myself to try something else. It works for me with almost any blade but my favourite is the Polsilver.

BeShaved and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Over the last two months, I have acquired two rockets; one is the HD at 73 grams and the other is a 54 gram model with what I believe to be the aluminum handle. Both of these razors are the earlier style and both are efficient shavers and you can be happy throwing most any blade into it. I love these razors! The silky smooth TTO, the heft, the blade gap... These razors are winners!

BeShaved and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

The only problem I have encountered with the aluminium versions is that the aluminium discolours when I use Barbicide. Has anyone else had the same problem?

BeShaved likes this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Don't use Barbicide.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a British Rocket that I LOVE! I also have a Red Tip that I shaved with today, if I had to choose the Rocket wins.

BeShaved, Jim99 and Munichjoe like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I think the rocket is one of the best TTO razors ever made!

BeShaved, Munichjoe and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The Gillette Rocket is a heavy weight Super Speed at 63.3 grams. I love my Rocket.

1949 Rocket.JPG

IMG_3147-1.jpg

Clontsy, brit, BeShaved and 6 others like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

:signs011:

BeShaved, Jim99, Sevenbark and 2 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

12. RaZorBurn123

I've never really care about having the case for a razor up until right now. Fantastic Mark!! Fantastic!

BeShaved, Jim99 and Boojum1 like this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thank you gents!

BeShaved, Jim99 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

So in the meantime, I've been alternating btw my red tip and my HD, though the rocket more than the RT.
    I have to say, two months back I got a package from home full of goodies that I found in the bay and sent to my sister in the states. Said package had 2x G1 fatties, the red tip, a minty super 84, and an almost minty, cased, lady blue.
    Now my confession, I really wanted the fatty and super 84, as I was "sold" on my slim and super 109s, and wanted to compare them. I have found myself however, NOT able to get a chance to reach over and WANT to grab em.

There you have it, I'm sold on the Rocket HD!

Ps- worthless w/o pix.....
    [​IMG]

15. kapiguy

kapiguy New Member

I have been trying to find something substantial that the Rocket was indeed made in the U.S., because a guy is trying to sell me one and I have been gun-shy because I couldn't find anything out about an American Rocket! Thanks for this posting, it is quite informative. kapiguy

BeShaved likes this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Your are a trusting soul. I'd only loan mine out to one person that I know, but he'd would have to leave his first born as collateral.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  17. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

I LOVE my Rocket HD. In fact, it is the only razor I own that will shave well with ANY blade I put in it. I mean any. Some will only be good for one or two shaves. I can get a good shave from an Astra for two weeks in that razor. But I also LOVE my 56 Red Tip... I'm so afflicted.

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I totally agree! I used my Rocket this morning (normal rotation) with a Rapira Stainless Steel Chrome. My Red Tip just happens to up next and I have it sitting on my counter ready to go in the am. I normally used a Personna Red with my R - Tip.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I have a made in England flair tip rocket marked II on the bottom...Any idea what it was called anyone? I just refer to it as an English FT rocket.

BeShaved likes this.
  20. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

+1. I have 3 or 4 English Flare Tip Rocket's. Works for me.

BeShaved likes this.