What do you hate about wet-shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HUF, Nov 16, 2014.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Cleaning up afterwards. Hair all in the sink and soap scum on the razor... But its part of the process.

crackstar likes this.
  2. rxshave

rxshave Member

I hate that people think I'm just a hipster.

Epimetheus and Robyflexx like this.
  3. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Is being a hipster really hip? If so, go with it and don`t look back!

4. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Divots. Earned three in the past week.

I never cut myself using the disposable twin cartridges. OTOH, recently I tried the same brand disposable I used before. It felt like a wood rasp and left stubble stiff as Zoysia grass. Trade offs.

billdog2 likes this.
  5. billdog2

I had the same problem when I used cartridges. When Gillette jumped the price from 4.95 to over 16.00, I went to Personna 4.95. Good for awhile then "sandpaper". But not all were bad. I then found the same cart from Western Family for under 4.00, the last time I looked, Western Family was 2.00 and change. I only used the Atra with the pivot head because my hand shook too much. I`m taking medication for the "shakes", and now I can use a regular
    de or injector. I still have my Gillette Atra handle and a couple packs of Western Family carts. I use them once in awhile just to make me appreciate my Gillette tech. Or maybe for " old time sake", who knows? Any way, you shouldn`t have to "trade off" or sacrifice anything for a DFS or BBS, IMO. Do you use any other type of razor?

Good luck, Bill

6. Epimetheus

My son has a pronounced shake, his electric razor is more appropriate for him. Whatever works is the best choice for anyone. I have slowly learned not to be a snob about anything.

I started with an electric because of teen acne and used electrics and disposables until I started DEs a few months ago. I keep a couple of disposables (actually, a whole travel kit) in the car just in case I am rushing around and forget to shave that morning, or get called to a meeting in town.

Wet shaving was a delightful discovery because I can pamper myself for a few minutes each day. :happy069:

Ahh Oui and billdog2 like this.
  7. billdog2

I guess you can tell by my avatar picture that I`m no spring chicken. That is my first great grand child on my lap (proudly spoken). My point being is that
    I`ve used almost all kinds of shaving instruments and you are absolutely right `whatever works`is the best choice. However.... Pampering yourself is a
    luxury that I enjoy most every morn. when I`m alone with my array of shaving "tools".
    I have what they call "essential tremors". It is a combination of neurological and muscular disorders that affect mostly the dominant hand. My left hand is normal but useless for shaving. The meds. I take are time released, so I must pick a window of opportunity. When I miss, I grab my flexible injector to finish up. Sounds like fun, huh. Practicing humility is a full time job and so rewarding.

Best wishes, Bill

Bird Lives and Ahh Oui like this.
  8. DFrazier

DFrazier Well-Known Member

Seeing as i just started shaving a DE three days ago, mine would be the learning curve it takes along with there being too many options out there for everything. I know that could count as a good thing, but just starting out its rough haha.

Ahh Oui and Epimetheus like this.
  9. Epimetheus

I have been in this only a few months. Now I have more options but we all start out simply.

Always respect your first.

[​IMG]

10. DFrazier

DFrazier Well-Known Member

Yup, I've got a vintage gillette and a can of gillette shaving gel from shaving with a mach 3. It'll come in time.

billdog2 likes this.
  11. billdog2

Glad to see you have joined us crazies (but we have a lot of fun). You will get a lot of encouragement and tips from the members here. Just remember that de shaving is merely removing hair from your face. Like someone quoted the other day "whatever works" is your best choice. Searching for that "whatever works" can be a lot of fun, so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Best wishes, Bill

Ahh Oui, Epimetheus and mrchick like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Having to wait 23.5 hours to start again.

billdog2 and Epimetheus like this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Not really a hate, but my having a fairly light beard means I have to wait two days to really get a good *feel* when I shave.

14. billdog2

yeah, that`s a real bummer isn`t it.

15. Bobyluvjr

Bobyluvjr Active Member

No place local to buy supplies

mrchick and billdog2 like this.
  16. billdog2

Yeah, I have the same problem. I have to buy most everything on line. You can get a lot of things at Walmart if you pay for them first and then it`s free shipping and you pick up at the store ( that`s where I get my Personna blues), 100 per pkg. Or ebay isn`t bad. The weirdest part is that you can buy a rack of blades, 6,8, I don`t know how many they`re stacking these days, just about anywhere. Be glad when "they" wise up and go back to `one blade is best`

Well, good luck hunting.

Bill