Anyone know Gillette 195's story?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Apr 25, 2008.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Hey! I've been trying to satisfy my curiosity and find out a little more about the story of this razor. From what I've been able to gather, it is known as a Gillette 195. The 195 comes from the original $1.95 price tag of retail versions. Although, this razor stamped with a F-4 was never release for retail sales. It is my understanding that the F-4 would normally refer to the 4th quarter of 1960, but this razor was actually made as a prototype in the mid to late 50's. I was hoping that somebody might know something about it's background and how someone from down here in Louisiana came to possess one. Help? :confused:

[​IMG]

2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Bronco informed me in the Newbie forum that he has some reference book titles that may help, but I was wondering if any of you has heard anything about its history yourselves.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I don't know much about it's history, but I can tell you that every one I see on ebay, brings an insane amount of money.

4. sparky5693

Administrator
    I think I remember reading that it was the initial design of the fatboy, and that it was changed to be more comfortable/user friendly, but that was a long time ago, and my memory may be fuzzy.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That makes the most sense of what I've heard so far. That is, the initial design or prototype for the fatboy, not your memory being fuzzy.

;)

6. sparky5693

Administrator
    Okay.... that made me laugh. :happy102

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Anybody in the afternoon crowd have any input?

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I don't know anything about the razor...but I lova you avatar, Father Sarducci! :D

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Thanks! I've used this same avatar in all my forums for over eight years now. It's a little old school but at least I'm easily recognizable.

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Those were the days...whena the show wassa actually funny. :)

Welcome to The Shave Den!!

11. BABYFACE

BABYFACE New Member

The Extortionately expensive 195

From what I gather and what I have read:

This particular design was patented by Gillette designers, Meyer J. Shnitzler and Michael Douglas Benedict on March 19, 1956.

It was test marketed under limited supply and then abandon in favor of the 1958 Gillette Adjustable which moved the blade adjustment dial from the base of the handle up below the razor compartment- AKA The Fatboy. Probably because the new design was more user friendly

So manufactured as a prototype and available to consumers for one year,price would have been a $1.95.

Pretty obviously the most scarce and collectible of the original Gillettes.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sounds logical to me, but then why do they all display late 1960 date codes?? I think there are mysteries of Gillette that we may never know.

[​IMG]

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Does the 195 have the same lock-down feature of the Fat Boy?

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

No the 195 and D-1 Fat Boy prototype I have don't have that extra 1/4 turn to lock down, they just screw tight.

15. mmack66

mmack66 Member

I don't know what the exact mechanism is in there that does the adjusting, but it seems like it would have a lot more stress on it being operated that far down on the handle. Then again, what do I know?

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Why would you think this? The Merkur Progress has a bottom adjustment, and I have never heard of any issues with them.

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The progress is a much simpler design than the 195. I've seen the blue prints for the 195 somewhere and there are tiny parts everywhere inside. The Merkur is basically a threaded rod and a spring.

18. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Then I guess it really was Progress! :happy102