NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Adam! These look great also, and the price is certainly reasonable. I won't sleep a wink tonight thinking about my options.

Better. Get. One.

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

At that price I was hoping you would get me one. ;)

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I just lost my Internet connection. :lam:

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy097: You've got me at least thinking about it. I'll need quite a few adult beverages before I order one.

wmbjr, Drygulch, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  6. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

[​IMG]
    Tonight's planned shave!

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, JR Reyes and 8 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I agree with Adam, if you can shave with the pain stick the PRC Kamisori will be easy and you don't need the round point.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember - NO Variation

November 24

Razor - Feather SS AC Pain Stick
    Blade - [​IMG](5)
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea

Well after about a week of really nice blood free shaves you just knew things were getting too routine. Something was bound to change and it appeared the first change today was the lather. Yes, BoSFat has been amazing and this morning it seemed like it slicked up even more than normal. Just had that extra zip to it, if that makes sense. Love that soap. And the brush with it. So, feeling great, everything good, let's grab the Feather and get busy.

I am a shower shaver. One of those strange beings who prefers to shave in the shower instead of the sink afterwards. The only normal exception is that I do my head shave at the sink before I shower and shave my face. And I will occasionally shave at the sink when trying something totally new. But normally, like today, it's shower and shave time for me. Also, normally, there's no issue using the shower mirror and shaving without my contacts in, as I put them in afterwards. Yes I have to stand close to it but I've never encountered a real problem. The only problem is a bit of steam on the mirror but that is easily sprayed off with the shower head and all is well. Same as today. So why tell you all of this? Well, because I learned this morning just how close I stand to the wall looking in the mirror at times. Such as this morning. I completed the first pass without incident as I have been, then went for the second pass. I went XTG on the right side of my face then added just a bit of lather along my goatee line and turned my head left to get a good view of that area. I brought the razor up, angled, began to set it down and leaned in just a bit. That bit was enough to cause my arm to make contact with the shower wall which, of course, jostled the razor which had just made contact and, despite my attempt to instantly rotate the blade away from my face, created a cut along my jawline where it joins the chin. Not as bad as I've done before, or as it could have been had I not reacted so quickly to get the blade away from my skin, but enough to ruin a great run of no injury shaves! I cussed a little bit, wiped it off, then went ahead and finished that side, the left side then went for the finish on the neck.

Final stroke from chin to adam's apple and I'm thinking about that goof as I observe a little blood on the cut. And.....my concentration goes bye-bye......I fail to adjust angle going into the bottom of the stroke and........yep, that'll bleed too. Nice little cut at the bottom of my neck. Both cuts closed up nicely without much work, the alum worked them over good and was fairly quiet overall but the streak is over. And, the pain stick has gotten its revenge for a week without pain.

Still got a nice DFS for the effort, if you ignore the cuts. And ignoring blood and pain is just part of my normal life here anyway. Thanksgiving in two days! Who's going to carve the turkey with a straight?

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I hadn't thought of that too bad I left my straights at home!

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    November 25, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Mongoose B3 Dr. Bomber Handle
    Blade: Kai Captain Original
    Lather: Chiseled Face Sherlock
    Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
    Aftershave: Chiseled Face Sherlock
    I really enjoy using the Mongoose, IMO once you've found the sweet spot (which is very easy) you'll be guaranteed a great shave every time. Since I limited my WTG passes to one, my neck has never looked so good!! The best move I've made in wet shaving. Hey this CF Sherlock is fantastic! The aftershave is dynamite! The RR Plissoft has become my go2 synthetic brush. I'm going to do a brush rotation today or tomorrow, I have a couple I'd like to revisit. I have the privilege of watching my 2 1/2 year old grandson and 1 year old granddaughter today. Can you say Barney... :)
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!
    image.jpg

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  12. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll enjoy having them there. We're expecting our grandson who will turn 8 just after Christmas. He and his parents are in Jacksonville now, but up until about 1 1/2 ago he used to be at our house 5 days a week. Introduce the kids to the Wiggles if they haven't discovered them already. Was much easier for us to watch over and over again than Barney! Get a bunch of them and you'll have an easier time with repeats. :happy036:

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I love watching the babies, my grandson is into Barney and Thomas the train. I'm so glad Netflix has plenty of different things to watch, my granddaughter wants me to hold her :) I'm more than happy to hold her.
    I've actually done this a couple of times now and have had great success!! :) It's all about planning the day ahead of time, meals, shows, I have the toy box out and ready. I'll have them from 8-3:15. The Wiggles aren't on Netflix :(

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Learned.jpg
    Will post my full shave report later, but it didn't go that great. Main thing I learned, if you still have a strongly mentholated aftershave on your hands, you should be very careful which part of your body you scratch. I am not sure Osage rub is going to stay in the rotation after this...

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 8 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Oh my goodness.

16. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

[​IMG]

17. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Gillette Super Speed Y3
    Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Strop Shoppe Baker Street
    Pinaud Clubman Original

Put a fresh GSB in my birth quarter Super Speed and went with face lathering the Strop Shoppe Baker Street.
    Squeezed out my wet brush and swirled for 20 seconds in the soap container. Seemed like I ended up with a ton of product. Went to my face to spread things out - nice and smooth, then added water and began to work it. Several rounds of water and brush strokes. Had a nice thick lather that felt smooth and slick. Then a brief pause for a photo:
    IMG_1773.JPG
    2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Very good reduction. Pass 2: ATG. At this point had a DFS.
    I splashed a small amount of water on my face and using the lather that was there, did some touch up where I could easily feel stubble and I ended with a near BBS. A cold water rinse followed by a small amount of touch up in my trouble spot and the baby came home. For some reason, the whiskers are easier to feel when the water is near freezing. ;) The Pinaud Clubman was mild and my face and neck felt great.

A nice BBS from the fresh GSB in my Super Speed with the enjoyable Strop Shoppe Baker Street. @clint64 suggested that the fragrance might be a little more noticeable if I face lathered. He was right. Still very subtle, but very pleasant. A great shave. Today I'm working from home so I get to avoid Atlanta traffic. It's lighter this week, but it can still be brutal.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.
    :happy069:

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

th-2.jpg :shocked003:

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

11/25/2015
    Razor – Wolfman OC with Triad SS Helix
    Blade – 7 O’clock Blue (3)
    Brush – Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
    Lather – Mystic Water Lavender Shave Stick
    Post - Witch Hazel & Myrsol Agua Balsamica Sample

[​IMG]

I am off the rest of the week. It was very nice to avoid the Atlanta rush hour traffic and just have a peaceful morning. For the shave this morning, I decided to use Mystic Water Lavender. I love the scent of Lavender and this soap captures in perfectly. I swirled the stick around my face until I had a nice even coating and used the brush in a circular motion to build the lather finishing off with paint brush strokes to get a nice slick even coating. I went with my normal 3 pass shave paying particular attention to my trouble spots. Finished off with some touch ups around the chin. Overall a very good shave but not as close as yesterday. This was the 3 rd 3 pass shave with the 7 O'clock blue in the Wolfman and it was showing signs of dulling on the ATG pass. Closeness A- and irritation an A. Finished off with a splash Myrsol Balsamica from my sample pack. I hope everyone has a fantastic Wednesday.

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel