Tony Miller or Kanayama?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Babweiner, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Babweiner

Babweiner Member

I need a good strop, one that will last. What is your opinion? I'm not necessarily looking for the best deal, just the best piece of equipment for my needs. I'm a dialy shaver and would like to not have to purchase another strop for a long time. I know very little about these brands but I am learning a lot from my searching. I'm just looking for personal opinions and experience at this point. What's the best and why?

Thanks, ~J. Babcock

Kizurra likes this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Illinois Co. #127 or #827. Ridiculous quality for the price you pay. I believe Glen is still using his #827 from the 1980's.

Kizurra, 45auto and gssixgun like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you'd go wrong with either but if we're dreaming I be all over the Kanayama. I have 3 strops an Illinois 827 an a older Illinois that I picked up new in an antique store with no model number on it but it's a thick piece of leather and the last is a inexpensive Star Shaving Strop. I really don't feel the need for another as I'm able to maintain my razors to my satisfaction. It's a bit of a oversimplification but a strop keeps the edge clean and aligned.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. Miller is highest of standards

Kizurra likes this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Walkin' Horse horsebutt strops work great for me. Tony Miller's are good as well.

Kizurra likes this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You went into another category with this..

The $100 plus Super Premiums, there are no bad ones in this level
    TM's, SRD's, Kanayama, Neil Miller, these strops are at a different level..

I own one of the first three, I need to talk to my friend Neil about getting one of his soon..

Find the one attribute that sets one of these apart for you, quality here is just not an issue so you have to shop aesthetics..

Kizurra, Hanzo and alpla444 like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rekindling an OLD thread here from Jan 2013:

Not a Kanayama, but I did acquire my first Tony Miller strop.
    It arrived at my office yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to open the package until today.
    Really a lovely piece of crafted leatherwork and hardware.
    Specs: 3.0" wide Heirloom Artisan Premium Fast Bridle Leather Strop; Premium Fast Bridle Leather with Heavy 3-Ply Handles.
    Super-soft & buttery-smooth surface; some real heavy-duty hardware. Quality-built piece! I look forward to giving it go later today! :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I ended up purchasing a Kanayama. I'm pleased.

9. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Good call.

Kizurra and oscar11 like this.
  10. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Man that looks good. Tony does great work! Did you pre-order the strop?

Kizurra likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tony actually had this strop in his shop as it supposedly had a small mark or scuff on the leather handle (I can't find it & I've looked!) and so he didn't wish to sell it at full-price.
    So I wound up with a gorgeous strop at a slightly reduced price and no waiting period. ;)

Kizurra and JoeB like this.
  12. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Wow! What a lucky guy you are Kevin!

Kizurra and HolyRollah like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Luck is right. I knew from his site that his current inventory was depleted so I emailed a request to get in the queue. In his reply he mentioned the 'less-than-perfect' strop that is available unless I had to have one absolutely pristine. I took the strop and upon receiving it, it sure looks pristine to these untrained eyes. ;)

Kizurra, JoeB and gssixgun like this.
  14. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Very nice I own the Tony Miller Heirloom 2 a nice strop but there's nothing that compares to the Cordovan on my Kanayama 8000 it's so silky slick I love it and the suede component is also a sweet surface, another high end maker is Alistair Westenholme of Westenholme strops he makes some very high end gear they look amazing.

Kizurra and kamp like this.
  15. kamp

kamp Well-Known Member

Jamie I got his starter strop 3 "with Latigo leather and Linnen, it is a very nice strop, even for a beginner. But he sure makes some very nice strops.

JoeB, Kizurra and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Maybe someday I'll get my hands upon a Kanayama. Of course, by the time I get around to that, either they'll either no longer be available or priced through the stratosphere (or both).;)

Kizurra and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  17. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

If you're serious about obtaining a Kanayama Kevin, I'd bump it up on your priority list. I'm sure a lot of folks thought they'd have plenty of time to pick up one of Neil M.'s fine examples as well, and Kanoyama-San is in his 90's now with no apprentice to take his place.

Though I don't own one, the Scrupleworks strops (http://www.scrupleworks.com/strops.html) appear to be mighty fine. The flax linen component looks very similar to what Neil used for his strops.
    [​IMG]

18. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

:signs011: his age and neither of his sons will be taking over so when he's gone the strops are gone. I have the 70000 and will be getting either the 80 or 90 just to have and love my 70. The draw and feedback are fantasic and its ready to go out of the box, no break in or pasting needed.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Those do look like fine well-crafted pieces! I almost bit on the 3" horween/linen....(must resist temptation!):scared001: :rolleyes005:

entropy1049 likes this.
  20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

good choice