What's Your Best Shaving Related Find or Discovery of 2015?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by figment714, Dec 1, 2015.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

With 2016 rapidly approaching, it's a good time to look back at the past year. What was the best thing in the shaving world that you came across in 2015? It could be anything from a specific razor, soap, brush, aftershave, technique, whatever...

Let's hear about 'em!

My #1 find of 2015 is Dominica Bay Rum w/ Lime Aftershave.
    (The best Bay Rum splash that I've tried with just enough Lime to leave a crisp, tropical scent, and an excellent value too!)
    [​IMG]

Followed closely by Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Shaving Soap.
    (Unsurpassed performance, top-notch skin care, wonderful packaging, and well scented)
    [​IMG]

Edit: added photos

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

ROUTE 66
    is where I found my kicks in 15'
    rss-R66-product-BourbonJungle-copy-600x600.png
    rss-R66-product-PerfGent-copy-300x300.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I'm dying to know what that saponifico 70th smells like....

4. figment714

From the Saponificio Varesino website:
    "The fragrance is a fresh cologne, aquatic, floral and aromatic, with woody base note and amber."

I would agree, and add that it is a complex scent. I get top notes of citrus (bergamot) with a woodsy, earthy base.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My 2015 personal best 'discoveries' by category;

Razors
    In July I received my Wolfman...I think that's when I truly fell in love with stainless steel razors...
    [​IMG]

Brushes
    New Forest
    Discovered them, as in bought my first one, after they closed up shop and realized these were some of the best all-around brushes I've ever tried.
    Here are two of 'em:
    [​IMG]

Blades
    Vintage Schick Twin injector blades.
    These should last me some time
    [​IMG]

Soap
    iColoniali's Smoky Mango
    An absolutely incredible soap both for performance, scent and price
    [​IMG]

Aftershave
    Floid Blue
    Went from never having tried it to it being one of my top two aftershaves. I have..uh...six 400ml bottles now (the last four are still en route to me though...) :D
    [​IMG]

Mugs
    Love the vintage silverplated mugs I've been able to acquire. I use them 3-4 days a week and they look great, retain heat well and just brings a nice, vintage/sentimental 'feel' to my shaves - even though the rest of the gear sometimes is...a bit more modern :)
    [​IMG]

6. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

I discovered that shaving doesn't need to be a chore and I've learned to appreciate the shave to the point that it's pretty damn enjoyable! Oh, and I also discovered the Shave Den.

7. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

6 bottles:eek:
    I'll have what he's having!:D

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man....this has been a good year.....But so far, and under the circumstances, there are still 3 weeks left....

So.....at this point, the most obvious thing would be...I discovered The Schick Simplified Automatic Razor......This is no small thing....I've always been fascinated with the repeaters but this masterpiece of functional art easily exceeds any and all expectations...This is one razor that is just about perfect in every way...
    image.jpg
    And for After Shaves it would be....I got to try The Veg! It was kind of a Loved/Hate thing....I loved it/my wife hated it...ha,ha....Actually I liked it when I put it on.....When I woke up the next morning Iwould discover that it had morphed into something I didn't altogether care for...and I would catch myself wondering if one of us had had an accident and wet the bed...then I'd smell it on MY hands...opps...then I'd realize it was the Veg! Whew!....So it didn't stay around, but it was something I had wanted to try for many years....

I list this next item simply as a favor to all my friends who continue to daily shave with a DE....I rediscovered my favorite DE blade is the Perma Sharp Super nothing else comes even close....

As life is a work in progress things change.....so at this point in time, Injectors are my favorite form of whisker removal....SEs are a close second....

If any other new discoveries make themselves known before 2015 vacates the premises....I'll addendum said discoveries with due speed....

Well....Mighty Mouse Struck at my place....2015 is also the year I discovered the famed PAL Injecto-matic....
    image.jpg
    This has been a Grand Year....}8^))

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    twhite, mrchick, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  9. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

For me it has to be here, the shave den. If it were not for all of you and the great and helpful posts, I'd be lost and my face and neck would look like one big scar.

twhite, mrchick, RaZorBurn123 and 8 others like this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I second TSD as my discovery and hobby shaving as well.

mrchick, RaZorBurn123, Joef and 5 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

La Toja Shave Stick

12. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

:signs011:

I just started traditional shaving this year, so everything has been a great find for a newbie when compared to carts. However, TSD has been the best thing so far for me, and especially the 30 Day Thread with some of the most helpful guys in shaving!

twhite, mrchick, BigCabDaddy and 7 others like this.
  13. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I'm going with The Shave Den as well.

Thank you for the many blessings
    I have received and given...

...to be continued
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hmm...2015.

Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica. Proof that vegan soaps can be just as good as Tallow formulas.
    [​IMG]
    Kiss my Face shave cream. I'd heard about it since I started wet shaving, and never ever read a bad review. I wish I'd purchased it years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Blackland Blackbird. A twist on the classic Edwin Jagger DB89 head design but in stainless steel.
    [​IMG]
    Irving Barber Company (IBC) Razor. A modern shavette style razor design. Delivers a fantastic straight style shave using Injector blades. (Edit: also uses DE and Feather Artist Club blades, but I haven't tried either).
    [​IMG]
    Edit:
    Derby City Chop Shop's Small Batch Shave Tonic. Great stuff.
    [​IMG]
    and Farina Gegenūber's 1709 Original Kölnisch Wasser and Kölnisch Juchten.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  15. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Recognizing the YMMV caveat, and if you've tried these, what's your assessment of the 70th Anniversary compared to their Dolomiti and Manna? (which I really like)

though I imagine it's all about the scent, since I assume their core Beta 4 blend is used in all of them?

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Another 'for certain' vote for having discovered TSD!

mrchick, BigCabDaddy, Joef and 3 others like this.
  18. figment714

I have not yet tried the Dolomiti or Mana versions yet (I plan to), but the 70th Anniversary is a new blend that they've termed Beta 4.1.

As taken directly from the Saponificio Varesino website:

"In addition to the previous formulation "Beta 4.0", that has been reworked, we added the butter of illipe, which prevents and combats skin dryness giving long lasting hydration and bringing back its own elasticity. We added Macadamia oil, known to have a natural sun protection factor (SPF). In addition to protecting the skin from the sun, it moisturises and protects.

A specially designed formulation to ensure extremely comfortable shaves and a fabulous post shave .

All the above characteristics are the explanation of the name Beta 4.1"

mrchick, Rufus T. and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Wow!
    Color me Enabled!
    :scared011:

Joef and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some finds from 2015 that could be placed into the 'Best' category by me...
    Vintage Engels 'Leader' 13/16" round point— a real rarity, my first NOS razor and a spectacularly-smooth shaver!
    [​IMG]

Route 66 Soaps - quality lather and skin conditioning; plus love the scents! Outstanding shave soap....
    routee66.jpg

Vintage CMON HF 'Hand-Forged' 5/8" square point; stumbled on this on ebay last August, got it for song and its just a great 60+year old shaver in terrific condition...
    [​IMG]

Fine 'Snake Bite' Aftershave — got my first bottle early last year and immediately loved the stuff. On my third bottle this year...:D
    SafariScreenSnapz015.jpg

youngunn, mrchick, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.