Fun Test Lathers

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DDuckyMark, Dec 6, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I was bored and thought bad to a few weeks ago when I had said something on the 30 day thread about lathering Lava bar soap. So I decided that today was the day. I didn't want to use a brush I liked because I am sure pumice is bad for the hairs so I pulled out the new to me mystery brush I pulled out of the Nationwide box tour box. It feels like boar but it sheds more then I can accept and it kinda thin and overly stiff. I thought that lathering just Lava would be boring so I lathered up Proraso White, Modern Williams, and the lava. All three latherings used the same brush and mug and they were all loaded for 30 seconds. Pictures were taken 10 minutes after lathering was complete. So proraso first.
    [​IMG]
    I managed as good as ever with the proraso. A good solid lather that felt good between the fingers.
    [​IMG]
    I've always gotten decent lather from Williams. This was as good as the Proraso. Even in lasting power.
    [​IMG]
    Lava lathered better then I thought. It feels good between the fingers and is rich and creamy. However, within minutes I started getting bubbly and breaking down. In a pinch you could use it but why bother? It would ruin brushes and dull blades. Might be fun to try with a disposable at less once just for giggles.

RaZorBurn123, Robyflexx and Joef like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice write up a fun read! :signs154:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I thought lava was a hand soap with pumice in it.

4. DDuckyMark

It is. I keep it around to get the gunk out after I work on the cars. I forget how it came up when we were joking about it. Something about ivory lathered with a cotton ball and then something about exfoliation and Lava bar soap. I wouldn't shave with it but it was a fun trial lather.

the brush Ai used lost so many hairs that it took me longer to pick hairs out of my soaps than it took me to lather all 3 and take the pictures.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't think shaving with pumice lather would be good for your razor. I have lathered with Dove soap. However, real shave soap always works better.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. DDuckyMark

It was just for fun. Only way I would shave with this would be with a disposable. Even then I would worry about the brush. Today I used a brush that will be having its knot pulled tomorrow. Pumice is probably just as bad for the brush fibers as it is for the razor.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Clearly, you are a witch.
    [​IMG]

And he lathered Williams!

NCoxSTL, CyanideMetal and Robyflexx like this.
  8. DDuckyMark

It was my first and only soap for over 12 years. It is true what they say. Practice makes perfect.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. richgem

I'm sticking to witchcraft. ;)

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

11. DDuckyMark

That works too. I'll get fitted for my pointy hat later this week. I'll start on the handmade broom tomorrow.

richgem and Robyflexx like this.
  12. richgem

[​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I'll bet he floats....

14. richgem

like a duck.

Robyflexx and CyanideMetal like this.
  15. DDuckyMark

I actually sink like a lead duck but I swim really well so I make up for not being buoyant.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

Williams isn't too bad if you treat it like MWF and soak it in some water. It gets softish and lathers pretty easy. My in use pucks have mellowed and no longer smell like bug repellent. I have 2 partial pucks soaked and pressed into a cream jar. I keep it damp and sealed up. Works easily every time I try with either a face lather or a bowl lather.