The Haul: December 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Nov 30, 2015.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If you've haven't seen one before I'd say keep it unopened. This must be ultra rare if you haven't seen one. Good score! I likey.

Mustache, mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Mail truck came with some boring items we have seen before. A cased Schick Krona with Blades, Cased E1 Fatboy (needs number paint only), a fat handle Gem Junior, and a Gem Micromatic in the green art deco box (which is my favorite color that was offered).

MC1205 (1).jpg MC1205 (2).jpg MC1205 (3).jpg MC1205 (4).jpg

ObiDon, alpla444, dscaver and 13 others like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Misphit and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Finally scored a Wilkinson Flip Top - and a nice one at that! :D
    The flip-button under the head works very well and the head springs open without any hesitation. No scratches/dings on the handle/head. Happy, happy.

I've never actually held one and for some reason I thought it was going to be a bit 'flimsy'/lightweight but it is anything but.
    The weight and feel reminds me quite a bit about the Wilkinson Sticky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the small lot there was also a Wilkinson Sticky and even though I already have 2-3 of them this turned out to be my first grey bottomed one (the dark blue bottom/logo was for the US market and the grey one for the European market and rumored to be even milder).
    [​IMG]

alpla444, PLANofMAN, dscaver and 10 others like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The dear mailman was also kind enough to drop off these two items tonight;

1) A rather nice, cased white handled Schick (L1?) razor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) A cased gold, Schick Pivot cartridge razor
    A surpsingly nice weight to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alpla444, dscaver, theFAT98 and 10 others like this.
  6. JacobRayRazors

JacobRayRazors Active Member

Koraat makes some gorgeous razors. Good choice!

Smoothy likes this.
  7. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Thank you. He does indeed, this is my third razor by him...

8. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Have decided to stick to my self-imposed no variation rule in order to focus on technique with the Fatboy.
    This straight will get to mow soon enough

Misphit likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I can't remember if you've ever tried the Bonded carts before but if you haven't, don't open it. They're that nice.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know what I'd put in it.

John Beeman likes this.
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Antique Shop finds today. Seen here before cleaning. Left behind a rubber set.
    Don't know much about brushes but these looked good and price was ok. Under $30 for both brushes.
    Did not plan on picking up Schick E2 but came with case and instructions all for $15. The nicest condition one was the GEM OCMM no brassing looks like new.$15
    Fatboy still had old Personna blade (made in UK blade in).
    E1 date code believe 1959. Brassing on inside but functions well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Jim99, youngunn, Smoothy and 6 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What better gift to give that special someone who has everything? A 2016 Shave Den Calendar! Please pm @Douglas Carey for details. Hurry as supplies are limited. :santa
    image.jpeg

youngunn, Smoothy, alpla444 and 7 others like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, my Gillette Red Tip just arrived and it was worth the wait! Excellent weight and balance, quality build, close shaves and very good condition. I've tried it out and I love it! It shaves like my Rocket HD, or like my fatboy set on 5. This razor just earned a spot in the rotation!
    IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1406.JPG

youngunn, Smoothy, alpla444 and 11 others like this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received my $25 razor lot that I wasn't quite sure why I bought.
    Unfortunately I think I was even less sure after having looked it over in person..

Here's the lot in total:

Pic set 1
    [​IMG]
    Two brushes: Rubberset (lucite) and Opal (black).
    The Rubberset brush has unfortunately some bad scratches, grooves on one side and might just be binned.
    The Opal was a pleasant surprise though - solid feel and doesn't look too bad at all.
    A two-sided strop. Neat wooden handle and the leather looks 'ok' apart from an area ontop of it. Potentially binable.

Bottom row: Three hair-cutting/curling(?). Ugh. Bin.
    An unopened..eh....Diarrhea Remedy solution. Not really my thing but surprisingly there's actually a 'market' for old medicinal items like this. It's in great condition and heavy.

Pic set 2
    [​IMG]
    Top row: An Iros Keen straight razor. Easy to date this one as the brand was only active 1925-26. Unfortunately it's a bit short on steel. Bin
    Too bad, it has some nice details on the spine.

Bottom row: The other straight (Rochester) is in much better...but not great....condition. Scales are intact and looks like they could be horn or celluloid.
    The maker is Robeson Cutlery Co and from what I could find online this would date to 1900-1920 and this brand seems to have quite the following.
    There might be some hope for this one.

Pic set 3
    [​IMG]
    Top row: A third straight razor. Columbia Cutlery Co, Worcester MA - "Extra Hollow Ground, Fully Warranted"
    Nice looking razor but with an edge that has a bunch of rust and chips in it. I'm thinking bin.

Bottom row: The box included a slew (10-12) of NOS Ever Ready SE blades many in their original paper wraps.
    There was also a metal blade box I've never seen before and a larger metal holder, with the same decorations on it that you can slide the blade box into.
    It appears to be able to hold two of the boxes. Not sure what that is from but it's pretty dirty.

Pic set 4
    [​IMG]
    Hey, some good news. A really, really neat looking Rolls Razor, Imperial No 2.
    No crack in the honing stone, leather strop in good condition, blade looks good and there is every possible piece of paperwork in the box incl. the inspection/QA note.

And then there's what I thought looked interesting in the auction listing...something a bit 'off'-looking in an Ever-Ready box.
    Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a type of hoe/wedge razor I've never seen before, complete with stropping handle.
    The wedge blade has a hole in it that the top of the handle goes through and then turns to secure it in place. A simple and rather elegant solution.
    The razor and blade is in good condition. There are no marking on the razor itself but the blade sports the name "Torrey No. B".
    A quick glance at Waits' compendium shows that it's from around 1890. The ad states that the blade can be kept in working order indefinitely so I should be able to get a shave out of it down the road :)

Fun trivia: The Columbia straight razor is from Worcester MA - and so is this Torrey wedge razor.

Waits:
    [​IMG]

The razor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the end, was it worth $25? I'd say so.

gorgo2, Drygulch, youngunn and 13 others like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I reached out to Muehle and they were kind enough to take a look at my photos and replied with:
    "Thank you for sharing the images. The brushes were made in the early 50’s. The third one from the left (large) most likely a few years later."

16. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I think so; I don't know much about early wedge razors but they are fairly rare and Torrey straights have a good reputation so if you can hone that blade it should be a nice shaver.
    Also that Rubberset looks salvageable, lucite is pretty forgiving.

17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This is DEFINITELY my favorite AS. I regret not buying 2 extra when it was on sale last year =( 80kr per bottle.

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I got this one for free. I have not tried it yet but it smells very nice.

Omelmad and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Did you put it on your skin or smell it from the bottle? Because according to me it's 5 times better on your skin. Try it out =) I find it difficult for someone to not like it, but I know better haha

20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Only from the bottle so far :)

Omelmad likes this.