Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I bought a new fedora from Hats in the Belfry in Philadelphia. How can I get the front to stay snapped down?

2. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Hat etiquette for Men from Emily Post.

Men
    Hats can be left on…
    • Outdoors
    • At athletic events (indoors or out)
    • On public transportation
    • In public buildings such as post offices, airports, and hotel or office lobbies
    • On elevators
    Take hats off, including baseball caps …
    • In someone’s home
    • At mealtimes, at the table
    • While being introduced, indoors or out (unless it’s frigid!)
    • In a house of worship, unless a hat or head covering is required
    • Indoors at work, especially in an office (unless required for the job)
    • In public buildings such as a school, library, courthouse, or town hall
    • In restaurants and coffee shops
    • At a movie or any indoor performance
    • When the national anthem is played
    • When the flag of the United States passes by, as in a parade
    Greg W.

Bird Lives and Sara-s like this.
  3. rmcintyre84

I found a fedora yesterday at an antique store I would have purchased if I only had a smaller head: an official Dick Tracy hat.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Pork Pie - Nice Weather
    Wolf - Snowy Weather

5. rmcintyre84

My new fedora from Hats in the Belfry.
    2015-10-17 09.49.06.jpg

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I should stay away from hat shops!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Stetson 150th anniversary newsboy cap, in a reproduction of an original fabric. Very comfortable too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Spyder, Jasman, Spud and 1 other person like this.
  7. rmcintyre84

I picked these up yesterday: fedora salt and pepper shakers.
    2015-10-25 08.41.42.jpg

8. rmcintyre84

How do you guys get the feathers out of your hat bands? I bought a fedora from Hats in the Belfry. They told me I should be able to just pull the feather out. So I did. Turns out it was glued in, and left behind glue and feather residue. Suggestions?

9. rmcintyre84

With books, trophies, photos, and knick-knacks, I've run out of horizontal space for my hats. So I decided to go vertical. However, I didn't want to use a 3M hook, or even a standard hat rack, for fear of misshaping my fedoras. So here's my solution. (Please note: I'm not a tool guy, so this is not art. It's a definite example of form following function.)

I started with a 1 1/2 in. corner brace, two screws (I don't know what size; they came with the brace), two 3/4 in. #8 bolts, and nuts.
    2015-11-06 14.46.05_resized.jpg

I attached the brace to a 4 in. PVC coupler with the bolts and nuts.
    2015-11-06 14.46.26_resized.jpg

The screws required 5/64 pilot holes. I attached the piece to the wall, being careful to not over-tighten the screws. (We have plaster walls.)
    2015-11-06 14.46.52_resized.jpg

Et voila, an inexpensive, ugly, but functional hat rack that won't mess with my hat's shape. Now to make six more.
    2015-11-06 14.47.13_resized.jpg

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

@Ryan B
    This is great Gorg....everyone should check this out....very good advice, and right on the money....Anyone who wants can sport a sky-piece and have it not only fit right in, but compliment you and add to whatever look you are trying to pull off...Except of course trying to look like James Bond or someone specific..ha,ha...But no kidding, with this kind of advice and take someone you can trust with you....a hat can really help with finding your own look....They are not just for hipsters anymore....}8^))

11. Bird Lives

Emily gives us a good point to work from....So if I may be so bold....;I have read numerous lists on Hat etiquette written in the day, aswell as in the 80's, and early 2000's....so I feel qualified to add my twist to Emily's list....Please feel free to plagerize this, but don't quote me....}8^))
    Hats can also be left on:
    While eating at food counters, fast food restaurants, and snack bars...also bars...

In shopping malls, fast food courts, Department stores...watch your old movies, Jimmy Stewart always keeps his hat on when eating at food counters or having a coffee at a drugstore counter...

In any restuarant where there is no safe place to hang your hat...if the place isn't classy enough to provide a safe haven for your lid, then put it back on and don't worry. Don't trust it to a waitress or waiter! Repeat, do not trust a hat you care about to a waitress or waiter. They will invariably place it somewhere where it will get sat on or ruined, don't ask me how I know....In a nice resturant, that doesn't have a hat rack, ask for a corner booth or window seat. You can set it in a bay window shelf or on the corner triangle piece that connects a corner booth to the corner...Or when all else fails, ask for an extra chair and hang it on one of the top ears. If none of these work, put it back on and don't worry...How many cafeterias have you been in where 75% of the men and boys keep their baseball caps on, just because you have a nice hat on doesn't mean you have to put the hat in serious danger of having a coke spilled on it or sat on...The Baseball cap etiquette has made a few changes in modern style rules..

Also some religious functions actually prefer you wear your hat...You need to google these in advance...Islam and Jewish traditions many times prefer you are covered...

Town Hall and Courthouses keep hats on...unless you are actually in a meeting or in a coutroom that is in session.

When you pass a someone on the street or are casually meeting a man, it has always been fine to courteously touch your brim, even if casually greeting a young lady, but if she is older you might consider removing your hat...Because of this, some ladies are insulted if you remove your hat during an informal greeting, makes them feel old...disgression is required here...And many men consider you over doing it if you do more than a brim touch at the most...

And also, while you should always;whether wearing a hat or not; make an effort to be polite...You don't want to appear to be making a statement or point by over doing the hat etiquette thing these days. Hats are definitely making a come back and the etiquette aswell...But over doing it can look like you are making a 'show'out of it....It's more important to just be cool and polite...

I wouldn't keep my hat on while:

During a formal introduction...

Having dinner at someone's private home..

Anywhere, where you would take off a baseball cap, ha,ha!

Elevators are a point of contention...Some say in a building where people live, you take your hat off...I think when sharing an elevator with ladies and you are not carry anything, it doesn't hurt to remove it...
    Man, this looks great....now this is a perfect example of a hat becoming part of your look and not the other way around....And this look is timeless, and would be in good taste just about anywhere...
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    GatorJoe likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Wow man...this might be a good time to bump this thread back up....wow....It's been chilly, rainy and windy for days...almost weeks...I have probably soaked my favorite Lock & Co trilby too many times recently...Thats why it pays to get a good one...I can't recommend a good fur-felt enough...just make sure you keep them away frim the heat when letting them dry...they will shrink...Allow to dry somewhere cool...

Anyone waiting on a hat for Christmas....This is the one my wife gave me last year at this time, and I've sure been loving it this winter...
    image.jpg

13. Bird Lives

Absolutely killer....Is this keeping you warm this winter?

14. Bird Lives

Too cool for school....:happy088:

15. rmcintyre84

My Santa fedora.
    2015-12-09 08.42.52.jpg

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  16. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

17. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

This is about as close to a Fedora as I get:
    [​IMG]

It's about 20 years old and is my go to had for bad or cold weather. Oddly, it's made from buffalo hide -- the only such hat that I have ever seen. I've never run across a dealer who has seen one or even knew that they were offered. I treated it with Obenauf's leather dressing when I got it, and have repeat the process every few years. It's the easiest hat I own to keep clean -- just rinse it under the warm water tap.

GatorJoe likes this.
  18. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

When I started loosing my hair, it seemed to get a little cooler up top. Hats help, but not conducive when working out, working on cars, and etc. So I find myself, wearing wool watch caps a lot. I am inclined toward the WWII like ones. I use one when I shave with my WWII era Gillettes. :D

Greg W.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    BigCabDaddy likes this.
  19. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Anyone wearing Peeky Blinders style hats? It seems like combining hats and razor blades would be a natural around here. ;)

20. Bird Lives

I think so too....Baseball caps are cool for baseball and the like....but otherwise they are a little like cartridge razors.....not that there is anything wrong with cartridge razors.....:happy097:

BigCabDaddy likes this.