Black Weishi 9306

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Dec 7, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

If someone is advertising a specific model Weishi, one would assume they know that it's a genuine Weishi. I don't believe the other Chinese companies making TTO's are knocking off Weishi's, but are just producing TTO's that are similar in appearance if they are based on the original Gillette patent design. Keep in mind the Weishi itself is based on, and basically a knock off of the Gillette Superspeed patent.

I don't know that the 9306 series has any bad ones, depending upon each individuals perception and preference. I have read some posts online that the 9306-H that comes in the blister pack does not shave as well as the other 9306's. Other than that, I believe the difference in the various models is merely the finish, handle length, and the aluminum handle vs the copper alloy handle.

A place I consider good for reviews is Amazon. These are people who have actually purchased and used the product & the review indicates whether the reviewer is a verified purchaser.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    tuxxdk and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Very nice collection. It does seem odd that they don't put their brand name on the razors. I've always thought Weishi was a mild razor, some say more mild than a Gillette Tech. I have one but it seems more of a knock off than a Weishi talked about here. Think I'll try an actual brand name one.

3. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

The description of aggressiveness is all over the place, but I believe the general consensus is it's about the same as the Gillette Superspeeds.

There are a ton of TTO's from China that look almost identical to the Weishi. Nanjie is a good example. From photos it appears to be identical, even comes in a similar blue plastic box with a blade and brush. It is about half the quality of the Weishi with thin metal and sharp poorly finished edges. I bought one about a year ago off Ebay for $1.99 with free shipping, thinking it was a Weishi...not quite! It does however shave OK, just not very high quality.

Daywalker and Robyflexx like this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Thank you.

5. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

Great collection! Although I have a nice ming shi DE razor, I think I'll also order a weishi:)

Misphit and BigCabDaddy like this.
  6. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I have the long handle gun metal weishi and it's a very nice razor that shaves like a feather popular except it's heavier. Just trying to find the perfect blade for it. As a new shaver I'm finding razors need to be matched with the proper blade example the feather popular shaves best with a feather blade. Put a derby blade in the feather popular and it's a horrible shave.

Misphit likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In my experience, Gillette Silver Blue in a 9306 is a very nice shave. 9306 is a Flare Tip clone, basically. I have one sold as VDH and like it very much.

8. gregkw1

Shaved with the weishi today....New bolzano blade= horrible. ...New shark blade= fair at best....New Gillette dollar store blade??? Horrible. Got a close shave but I felt pulling and tugging the whole time 2 passes only. 5-6 weepers. Water rinse stung like heck. Hope to fair better in 2 days. My skin is like tissue paper and can never shave two days in a row back to the drawing board.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Sorry bud. Bad shaves suck because it's so long before you can get back up on the horse to try again.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Greg,
    That's a shame. I have a friend with a similar situation. He has very tough whiskers yet extremely sensitive skin. He simply cannot use any DE/SE razor. He uses a Trac II and a Mach 3 and even with those he still gets some irritation. Hopefully your condition will improve allowing you to enjoy the tremendous variety of shaving tools. I do wish you the best.

11. gregkw1

That's very kind. I can get a really nice shave with the feather popular and a feather blade. I'm just looking to use my other razors with other blades so my shave is not always the same thing all the time. More fun that way. I'm going to try my new gold adjustable on setting 1 next. Maybe that's what will work.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting the black! A very fine family in the photo.

I began with a Weishi gunmetal black long handle and it has been a consistently pleasant performer. Several Gillette vintage razors later, all of which give a different experience, I would still recommend Weishi as a starter razor to anyone

BigCabDaddy, Misphit and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Ooooh, shiny pretty! My brother has sensitive skin and found the gold slim to be much more comfortable than others. Hope you have a good experience with it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Got my 9306-C (Gunmetal) today. I can only say that the plating and finish is flawless (Mühle level) and the doors open and closes nicely with a good feel to the knob. Blade-alignment seems perfect as well. The little blue case with mirror that's customary of Weishi will do nicely on travels.

I'm very surprised and pleased. It feels like an excellent buy.

15. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

Don't the different varieties of the Weishi 9306 have different weights as well as appearance? I have a MTO Weishi 9306 in chrome, so I guess that makes it a 9306F. It's a very mild shaver, needing a sharp blade like a Feather or Personna lab blue, to shave effectively.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy088: GREAT Weshi collection. :happy096:

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

No pics = it didn't happen:)

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. gregkw1

I have a weishi gun metal long handle. Very nice razor. All the weishis shave nice and mild. The one touch is a weishi. The van den hagen is a weishi. It's very similar to the feather popular. The popular shaves best with a feather blade so the weishi might also work better with a extra sharp blade. I am now an adjustable guy and will never go back. So now all my razors are retired unless I get a few days growth and use something different for fun. At least my new display is fun.

Thumper4524 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. gregkw1

20. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

Same here. I've pretty much retired my Weishi and now use my Fatboy and Slim Adjustable.