Open Comb ID Needed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Apr 29, 2008.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Okay, I'm looking for a definitive ID on this one. Is it a New? And if so, is there anyway to identify year? I think they were made in this style from '21-'29 with a thick guard (style 102A) and pre-1921 with a thin guard (style 102). How do I know if it is a thin or thick guard? :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Fat handled tech? Or a New? I dont know the difference. But its one of the two :D

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Also, theres a geocities site with ID serial #'s and dates. I'm sure somebody will chime in with it.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

If it were a gillette, it would be either a old style or a new improved. news and techs do not have the studs to hold the blade, but rather a bar. most likely this one is a gillette clone.

5. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

The problem is I can't find a serial number. From what I can tell it appears to be the New.

Here are some News posted elsewhere. Looks the same, but I can't know for sure without knowing what else is out there.

[​IMG]

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You're right! I just found a source with the News coming out in 1929. This is more like the earlier New Improved or whatever preceded them.

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

What about the Old Style head on a New handle? Although the fit is so perfect. Were they interchangeable?

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Honestly I really don't think it is a Gillette. I don't see a gillette stamp logo, which would be strange, and the new handles don't have as deep of a ridge. I would be very surprised if this is not a generic knock off.

edit: but yes, the handles were interchangable, between old, new improved, new, and techs.

9. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Right. The NEW first came out in late 1929-early 1930. This definitely isn't a NEW. The "New Improved" isn't considered a NEW. This definitely isn't a Tech — no Tech has an open comb or the studs. This isn't even a Gillette.

This seems to be the same thing I just bought in gold from Bronco. It arrived today and I haven't had much time to look at it. All I know so far is that it's not a Gillette or Gillette prototype. I suspect it's foreign made and not as old as it appears, maybe 50s-60s. No markings makes it much harder to identify. It's cheap metal unlikely from a major manufacturer. I suspect it's Russian, Polish or German. It was designed for modern thin blades.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Or course, yours may not be the same as mine.

Richard

10. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

[​IMG]

Getting this pic down by yours for a better comparison.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

The texture of the handles appear to be different. Yours appears to be more linear while mine is diamond or diagonal cut like the New handles.

12. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Right. Not the same handle. Yours is more the Gillette type.

Richard

13. Will

Will Nevermind

I think it is a Gillette handle with a replaced head???:confused:

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't think it is a new handle at all. I think it is a copy cat, but the bands on it don't look right for a Gillette. Close, but different.

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow, those look like new...cool razors.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

speaking of which, if you have one of the middle ones (New Norfolk) I want it. Wanna trade? :D The ones pictured belong to Mr. Razor

17. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yup. I posted those because it had the best shot of the New handles. But, it does appear that the polished area at the end of the handle is longer than mine.

But, still brings me back to identifying. Anyone know of an identification source for non-Gillettes?

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Looks like a Lonsbury which came free with the purchase of 50 blades. A Gillette copy from the 30's 40's. No info on company or blades.

19. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Thanks, Bronco! I'll see what I can find down that avenue. I knew someone would have some kind of idea.

:signs021

20. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Not finding any reference to "Lonsbury" and blade or razor. Any idea where I can get some background? Anyone?