Aristocrat - fixing a bent comb?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rsrick, Apr 29, 2008.

1. rsrick

rsrick New Member

I recently bought a small collection of Gillette's from ebay and went to work on cleaning them up.

I noticed on one of the Aristocrat's that I received that two of the combs on the far left and one on the far right not sit level with the rest - the right hand one is slightly bent inward, the left are bent inward and outwards. Is this something I can fix myself or is it best left for someone else (my wife is involved in the jewelry world and has access to several jewelry repair shops)?

Other than the combs, the razor is in good shape. Shows a bit of use, some plating loss. and a bit of tarnish. TTO works smooth and squeak free. Still needs a bit of tlc to get it fully cleaned.

Can this be returned to a daily shaver or is it worth trying to fix?

(Unfortunately I do not have enough posts to be able to link some pics of the damage.)

p.s. Just noticed that there is a restoration subforum ... would a mod please move this into that forum ... thanks

Thoughts?
    Cheers,

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It could be worth just trying to bend it with plyers. Otherwise, dont worry about it. There are plenty of other razors out there. Just be careful not the snap them off. But than again, it probably wouldnt make much of a difference.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I have never been able to fix a bent tooth. Every single time I try, the tooth breaks off as soon as it moves.... course I do keep trying, so i'm not gonna say it can't be done.

4. JayKay

If you heat it first till its flexable, you may have better luck. Although, this will probably destroy the gold coating.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Possible, but a lot of these razors are alloys... and you never know how they might take heat, although my unheated track record is quite poor.

6. JayKay

Mhmm. Cant hurt it any more than breaking it off anyway. Figure a bent toothed razor is garbage. It cant get any worse :D

7. rsrick

rsrick New Member

Thanks. I'm going to fiddle with it this weekend to see if I can fix the teeth. Worst that can happen is that I turn an unshavable razor into an unshaveable razor.

cheers

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Mine too! :ashamed001 Several times over!

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

just break off ALL the teeth.
    Done.

10. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

ha

hahaha, turn it into an unsafety razor. I have been wanting to try one!