flexball power razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by john jackson, Dec 13, 2015.

1. john jackson

john jackson New Member

does anyone know if that new power razor from gillette called flexball power will truly give a closer shave than any other razor like a triple blade disposable??????????????? can anyone please tell me. or is it just gimmick? rsvp.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No idea. I haven't used a cartridge razor in 8-9 years.

So I'll just say, Hi! Welcome tothe Den!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Since you asked; it's a gimmick. Of course most here would agree, any razor containing more than one blade is a gimmick:)

4. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I have a flex ball without the power option, and I can't even get close to smooth shave with it. The only razor I've achieved BBS with is a DE. Then again, YMMV.

Welcome to the den!

178-bplatoon, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm waiting for one with a vacuum bag and mulch attachment. :D

Welcome to the Den!

6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use a Gillette Flex Ball Fusion , not the powered version. I thinks it's just a marketing ploy. The power flex ball is half again as expensive. Also they have a different blade set up just for the Power Version, (exact same blades, but they only work on the power flex ball) Look them up on Amazon.
    I also use a Weber DE razor and an Above the Tie DE Razor. I can say that all of the razors I have give a great shave. I find with the Gillette Flex Ball I do not get any Razor Burn or Nicks and Weepers. I only started using the Flex-Ball Razor because of problems with my hands. It seems that four or five times I get nicks with my double edge razors.

That's just my thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  7. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Before you know it they will come out with a helmet that will give you the closest shave possible while brushing your teeth and combing your hair too.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

178-bplatoon, Billyfergie and richgem like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You do bring up a valid point, Patrick. If one suffers from hand or nerve issues, shaving with a traditional razor can cause some serious damage. Still a better option than growing a beard:)

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Since starting Invisialign, I have never brushed my teeth so frequently in my life (after EVERY meal or snack). So, I will look forward to this new helmet technology.

10. mantic

mantic U TOOB

John, Gillette says the ball technology will catch about 20% more hair per stroke, but they've always been very sketchy on the details (every stroke? Every part of the face? They don't say) and there has never been any independent, peer-reviewed research to confirm or deny the claim. Further, the "power" variant doesn't really do anything for the shave--the most it can do is temporarily numb the area so it doesn't feel as irritating during shaving (but doesn't help afterward). Gillette lost a court case about the "power" razors that claimed it made the hairs "stand up" for a closer shave. You will find few fans of fancy, multi-blade cartridges here at The Shave Den (personally I think the pivot concept in general is worthwhile but the ball variant isn't worth the extra money).

11. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I had to read a bit about the razor as I have not used cartridges for several years. Without trying it I suspect the following things:
    1. The vibrations will surely help to slice the whiskers as it adds some side-wise movements. But that you also get with any razor if you just tilt the head slightly, like a guillotine.
    2. I just assume the flexball helps to keep less pressure. Here again, with some practice you could ease the pressure with any razor.

So I think the razor makes the shave easier for a newbie, but it definitely got also some drawbacks:
    1. The blade are tightly together, meaning clogging will be a problem. I came from cartridges and clogging was always a major problem for me.
    2. Multi-blade razors means you do multiple passes in one stroke, without relathering between. That is just painful.

So yes, it probably got both its good and its bad sides.

12. jon radin

jon radin Member

After 1 year exclusive DE shaving, have tried Fusion Proglide Manual, just finished shave 16 with first cartridge. Got another BBS, no irritation, no weepers or bleeding. Used exactly the same prep, shave cream and brush, and slow, short, no pressure strokes, 2 pass XTG, ATG shave technique as I learned for successful DE shaving. With a shave cream I do not find any clogging. Swirl cart in sink of cool water every few strokes just as I do with a DE. Better shaves than 95% of my DE shaves. Went to DE shaving because I couldn't shave with a cart every day, too much irritation. After learning DE shaving and being able to shave every day. I took the same process and products to the Fusion Proglide and have gotten great daily shaves. Wish some of the DE guys I learned to shave from on Youtube, like Mantic 59 would try and review the Fusion Proglide. It would be really helpful.

Leo K. and PatrickA51 like this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My results are almost the same. I went with the Gillette Flex Ball Fusion and have yet to get any Nick's or Weeper's, and or any Razor burn. I find that when I Use one of my DE Razors I 9 times out of 10 get a Nock and or a Weeper. I do realize that part of my problem (with Nick's and Weeper's) is due to my Hands going Numb not due to the Razor I use.

Spyder likes this.
  14. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I might just do that. I'm actually working on a video titled "How To Shave For The First Time" aimed at adolescents.

15. jon radin

jon radin Member

Thank You Mantic, you were my first 'tutor', your videos introduced me to DE shaving and Sharpologist has been a frequent and regular source of great information about the latest in the wet shaving world.....I hoped you would explore the cartridge side of wet shaving....I enjoy DE razors but Carts seem to offer an equally enjoyable option for the morning ritual. Just as there is now a wealth of information and reviews about DE razors and blades, I think many would appreciate your experiences and opinions about the various ' Modern shaving systems'. In addition, hearing how pre-shaves, creams and soaps and aftershaves match up with various Cart razors would be very helpful. Not one against the other, how about both together!

16. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

IMHO, best option for sensitive skin.
    The handle with Power and Flexball technology is great.
    I've used with Gillette SkinGuard and ProGlide.

Unfortunatelly, today the power motion has died.
    I own the SilverTouch handle from Feb 2015.
    But I've used It about 30 times.
    Too weak for my tastes ...