My Razor Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DDuckyMark, Dec 18, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm reserving this space for my restorations. I'll post pictures of the blades now in just a few min and start hand sanding right after. I have 8 straights and 2 of them are mounted to scales. I'll leave those 2 for last.

I have:
    A Hope Cutlery Improved German Eagle 13/16
    Mongomery Ward 6/8
    George Wostenholm I XL 5/8
    C. Klauberg "Masterpiece" 9/16
    Lee's Warranted 5/8
    Lee's Warranted 9/16
    Gelle Freres Fabricants Faux Frameback 6/8
    Unmarked Mystery 5/8

They are all heavier grinds, none being more than 1/2 hollow if that. Pictures and more detail in the coming posts.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    youngunn, Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  2. DDuckyMark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will become a round tip. I'm going to grind off the tip to get rid of the hole in the blade. To keep the eaching I'll make the tip round instead of square. I need to wait for a DMT for this one. I'm afraid to use a cut off wheel or bench grinder. It needs hand sanded and buffed some but no chips in the blade! It was my daily shaver in my teens until my oldest son was born. I'm sorry to say that my neglect has gotten it to this point.

BeShaved, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This razor has alot of pitting. I'll be sanding it after I try doing a steep bevel set to see if it interferes with me getting an edge on it. I love the weight of this razor and the shape of it. I hope I can do something with it but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

BeShaved likes this.
  4. DDuckyMark

George Wostenholm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have the most hope in this razor. I have the original horn scales(cracked) and lead wedge. I was hoping to reuse the wedge and use the scales as a pattern. There is not much wrong. no deep pitting, no chips, no holes or heavy rust. I'm starting here with this razor. I'm very excited about it.

BeShaved likes this.
  5. DDuckyMark

Klauberg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big frown on this already narrow razor. Also has hone wear. I haven't decided to make it narrow or short or both. Might be one for the bin.

BeShaved likes this.
  6. DDuckyMark

Lee's 5/8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A little pitting but not too bad. One more for the deep bevel set before I do anything else.

BeShaved likes this.
  7. DDuckyMark

Lee's 9/16
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much pitting. One small chip. Deep Bevel set again but with a real chip I'll be waiting for a DMT to do this one.

BeShaved likes this.
  8. DDuckyMark

Gelle Freres
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BeShaved and TheFiveO like this.
  9. DDuckyMark

????? 5/8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BeShaved likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I vote 'bin' as you'll have to remove much steel, especially at the heel, to lose that frown. You'll then have something close to a letter opener.

11. DDuckyMark

I think I'll decide when the last of the rest of them are done. I got it for $10 with the Wostenholm as a lot so I got it for free. It would make an interesting letter opener. Like this key
    eba42113790d72bf2ffd4aac01d95a92.jpg df8550f437c8441c98cbf333db12c0fb.jpg

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Okay that's just totally :signs021:!!!

13. DDuckyMark

I might make one of those too.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Go for it DDucky it's killer and cool that makes it (killercool)! I just coined that, so when they ask tell them Roby said it! :cool:

15. DDuckyMark

Should be easy no need for an angled wedge. Probably have that done sooner then the real razors. way less work. I can do it with a dremal too.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  17. DDuckyMark

If I posted pictures of the tip end of these could you guys help me decide what grind they are? I know they are heavier (except the Faux Frameback) but I have a hard time deciding how heavy.

18. DDuckyMark

Ok been sanding a fe hours on the Wostenholm. Doesn't look like I've done much but make it not shiny. Maybe some of the dark spots are done.

I feel like I can get discouraged easily doing this so Ill pose a question.
    Which wood should the Wostenholm get from this picture?
    [​IMG]

When I get discouraged sanding I can work on the rough work on the scales. This razor had the least to do since its in the best shape and still has the original lead wedge I'm going to reuse. I also have the original scales to make a pattern off of. I'll be working on that key too. It looks fun and I have a nice scrap piece that's the perfect size. I'm thinking one piece scale for the key.

19. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Hey this lovely looks familiar..... :signs021:

20. DDuckyMark

Yep. All honed up, mostly. If I can ever get my Arkansas stone lapped and burnished. It's almost last on the list. Polish and new scales is all its getting.