$500 to a great brush for $14 bucks, why, enlighten me, just can't justify large dollars for a brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by pundi64, Dec 26, 2015.

1. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

$_57.jpgt6.jpg s-l140.jpg p036cl0n.jpg Yes I know on the Bay there are many Badger, (different grades) of hair, but I've also seen some costing a fortune, are you just paying for a prestigious name or what.
    I've been using brushes in the $12 to $20 range and seem to be very good.

I saw one the other day selling for $895.00 this is ridiculous , seem like just getting stung by a red ant. (ouch)

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The difference between shaving and collecting. :)

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

True that.

While I love and enjoy my 5 USD boar brush, I can see why people are paying loads of cash for a Rubberset 400 for instance. Better shave? Nope? More cool? Much indeed.

I only need to look at my own shelve. I reach for, and prefer, the 5 USD boar over my 80 USD badger... it simply suits me better and I feel I get a better shave.

Derhey, Redrock, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  4. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I never realized a brush could be that expensive.

Redrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

They can be.
    But that's the price to sell. Your price to buy. Tot sale price is in between. After I started using the RR synthetics at $12 I can't justify more.

Redrock, rzedan and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Much of it is in the name. The Ralph Lauren Purple Label sterling handled shave brushes sell for $500 and up.

A brush with a hand turned handle, made from exotic materials, and filled with a hand tied, hand stuffed, presorted hair knot, will always cost more than a brush with an injection molded handle filled with whatever Chinese knot fits it.

Even with those caveats, paying more than $200 for a brush is just stupid. $150 is about where the actual value of a resin handled brush and the value of the name on the brush start to separate.

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree that a brush should not cost that much. Brushes under $20 perform just as well If not better than a expensive one.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I guess that I am stupid.

9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Stupid rich!!! :happy097:

rzedan likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Edit: actually I would have probably said something along the lines of "paying for percieved value." It sounds better, but means essentially the same thing. :D

Redrock, macaronus and Robyflexx like this.
  11. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

If I had the money I'd buy a $500 brush. I like luxury.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I don't currently own a brush over $150. Can I tell the difference between a $30 WD silvertip and a Shavemac Silvertip? Yes certainly. I didn't like either of my 2 $30 WD brushes and ended up giving them both away while the $90 Shavemac remains part of my regular rotation. In terms of value received for the price paid, the Shavemac wins hands down. There are certainly those that collect brushes just as there are those that collect razors. In my mind, a collector does not regularly use the items they collect preferring to keep the brush, razor, etc. in mint or pristine condition.

One of the nice things about this hobby is the ability for a wide spectrum of people with varying budgets to participate to the fullest. Each comes with their own perspectives. I like the fact that there are choices available for all the shaving related items that can satisfy the shaver looking for a great budget setup as well as those that are looking at higher cost items and every where in between. I am very thankful that we have the number of choices that we have.

RyX, Redrock, battle.munky and 8 others like this.
  13. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

While there are significant performance and quality differences between let's say a badger brush for $30 and one for $90, I think the gap begins to close at around $200. You have already reached a very high level of workmanship at that point, so it doesn't get much better than that. A $400 brush won't be twice as "good". Everything beyond a certain mark is mostly special design or material that people enjoy ... nothing wrong with that, I guess ;) Does a King Cobra shave 10 times better than a vintage Injector from Ebay for a fraction of the price?

I like to compare this to acoustic guitars. There are huge difference in quality and sound between a $100 and a $300 Guitar, a little less maybe between $500 and $1000. To me, a Hanika 54PF that costs about 1000 € is worth the money and at the same time is everything I might ever need. But there are others willing to pay 3000 € or 5000 € for their instruments just because of very subtile differences in sound or playability - or just because they want a unique instrument made from specific wood or by a certain luthier.

Redrock, PLANofMAN, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  14. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Well said Clint.

Redrock and youngunn like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

All my custom acoustic guitars were handmade by a luthier. They were (are) expensive. To me, it was worth the additional cost to get an instrument customized to my own personal style and playing preference.

Re: shaving brushes. I've had in my possession several brushes that are considered pricey ($200+). I found the quality and performance of these brushes to be quite good. Did they perform exceedingly beyond what my Omegas, WDs or Semos do? Not in my own personal experience—at least not enough to justify the additional investment. Given the finite amount I wish to invest in shaving paraphernalia, I prefer to put the lion's share of my money in the 'business end' of shaving gear (i.e. the razors). Others wish to invest and acquire high-end brushes and I say, more power to you. It's not my own preference, but we are all are free to indulge ourselves in this hobby in the manner we each see fit.

Redrock, PLANofMAN, macaronus and 5 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Exactly, without judgement of other's choices.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

Redrock, clint64 and Primotenore like this.
  19. Boojum1

:signs011:

Redrock and clint64 like this.
  20. Boojum1

:signs002:

Redrock, clint64 and Primotenore like this.