$500 to a great brush for $14 bucks, why, enlighten me, just can't justify large dollars for a brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by pundi64, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

+1 (business end razor...like that)
    Like anything in life $$ spent is all relative to means, so we can not judge not knowing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Redrock, Marverel, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I might actually reward myself with a really nice guitar someday ... when my abilities have reached a level that justifies the expense ;) But that day might never come...

Well said. Do I NEED a dozen razors and twice as much soaps to scrape some hair from my face? Definitely not, but I very much enjoy having and using them. And stuff like an AlumiGoose Razor and a Simpson Chubby are still on my wish list. Some will say I'm crazy, but it is worth it to me.

Jim99, Redrock, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great post @Marverel very insightful. :happy088:

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't understand why so many people are so concerned with how much money other people spend on brushes. I very seldom see threads about it being stupid to spend $200 on a SS razor because a Weishi gives just as good of a shave, but these brush threads lately....

If you are happy with your $6 brush, I am happy for you. If you enjoy LE run Chubbys, and have a few hundred extra? Good for you too. FWIW, I don't own any high end brushes.

For a bunch of friendly, civilized gentlemen, a lot of judgement sure gets passed on threads like this.

Drygulch, youngunn, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  5. Robyflexx

This whole thread is getting blown out of proportion. I posted a wise crack as a joke but everyone certainly has the right to drop some heavy greenbacks on whatever they please. Heck if I didn't have any restrictions on my cash flow I'd be geared up to the teeth. :happy102:

Jim99, Redrock and Primotenore like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

Dude, I wasn't picking on your post, or even necessarily on any post on this particular thread, it is just the idea, and these sort of "you're a fool to buy X when my Y works just as well for a tenth of the price" sentiments are just showing up more and more lately.

Sorry if I seemed cranky.

Redrock, Primotenore and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Oh I know buddy, I was just agreeing with you. Hence the reason for the quote. Truthfully if it wasn't for some of our well to do members I probably wouldn't even know such beautiful gear existed. :happy097:

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You should read some OneBlade and/or a lot of Kickstarter threads :)

On a semi-related note it does 'sadden' me a bit when people's first instinct - without even having tried it - slams anything new and proudly declares that it's no better than a $5 Gillette NEW. That's another behavior I don't quite understand.

youngunn, Redrock, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  9. Red Rider

In that case I'd like to declare that I'm very happy with my dramatically more expensive toilet seat.
    http://www.amazon.ca/TOSHIBA-washing-toilet-Cleanwash-SCS-T160/dp/B003I89FWU

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Jim99, Redrock, battle.munky and 3 others like this.
  11. Red Rider

Takes one to know one. :taunt002:

Jim99, Redrock, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

13. Robyflexx

Redrock likes this.
  14. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Simple direct , not cranky but truthful, good answer

Redrock and Robyflexx like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ahem...

It's your money. Enjoy it your way. ;)

Drygulch, youngunn, Redrock and 5 others like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Guilty as charged, sir (though I don't recall comparing it to a Gillette NEW). I slammed their restrictive choice of blade and compared it to a Shake Sharp razor.

I also want to apologize for some of my comments earlier in this thread. I myself have purchased some stupid expensive brushes. More for the collector's aspect than for the pleasure of actually using the brush.

"Hi, my name is Ryan, and I'm a wetshaving product hoarder."

mrchick, youngunn, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It takes a real man to recognize his errors. And real men use the Veg. ;) Perhaps a moratorium on the word "stupid" is in order. Just a thought.

RyX, youngunn, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Some people have more dollars than sense. /shrug

Redrock and Robyflexx like this.
  19. rzedan

rzedan New Member

Definitely great points.
    I've sourced many knots from different places and have been surprised at how even the Chinese manufacturers are open to names and interpretations of the name you'll give the hair you're going to sell.
    Many of the (badger) knots I've placed are under $30 and it's hard for me to really justify a luxurious brand over $100.
    It's important to take into account that Simpsons and others source their hair, but make the knots themselves, making European labor costs impact the final cost of the brush.

Redrock, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We could just ban both the word stupid and the veg and make the world a better place. ;)

I'm not saying the veg is bad...but there's toilet water and then there's 'Toilet Water.'

Drygulch, Redrock and Robyflexx like this.