January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens!

Happy New Year!

Welcome to the 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule or Focus discussion threads. Throughout 2015, each month a group of TSD members have gathered and posted their experiences with thirty day exercises. Though the discussion can be boisterous and wandering--technique, and the interplay of technique and gear are the topics that drive our discussion, and a love of this hobby bonds us together.

When I was a brand new DE shaver, GD Carrington introduced me to the concepts, and I started to do thirty day rules. My shaving happiness increased immensely, as I finally learned to use all the gear I had collected on my search for great shaves. The two types of exercises are in action on this thread.

The 30 Day Rule

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for new shavers and more experienced shavers who up have a problem that defies any solution. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's have another great year sharing our hobby!

The housekeeping:

We play nice, always.
    We love newbies.
    We follow the forum rules.
    We focus on the here and now.
    We welcome all to post here, and all razor types and styles.

Thanks for reading, and I hope your 2016 is the best ever!

Chris

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    tuxxdk, Bill_F, Seabs and 11 others like this.
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I'm baaaack! (or will be come January 4) and expect to be posting regularly again as I will focus on my Schick Type C1 razor in January.

Happy New Year all!

Bill_F, Jim99, Seabs and 13 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

So glad you're back! Happy New Year!

Bill_F, BigCabDaddy, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks Chief, no place I'd rather be...except, what's with the poll? We on a diet this new year? No cookies in the poll?!!!
    :eek:

Bill_F, BigCabDaddy, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Shhh...... We still have all the cookies!

Bill_F, BigCabDaddy, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

First of all, let me say how great and amazing it is that we are celebrating a year anniversary on this thread. When we began a year ago I figured we'd have a few months run and that would be that. Little did any of us in that original group know how much this thread would come to mean to us and how much it would impact so many others as well! Not only that but I had no idea that I'd go from trying to learn how to shave consistently to working with Artist Club, straights, kamisoris and so on. I've seen many of my comrades here take the same progression as well. From newbies trying to avoid injury with a DE to wielding straight razors with total confidence. So, to the newbies among us now, take heart! Following the Rule and Focus will make your journey not only successful, but also will allow you to have a great time along the way!

Now, as to my January, I'm keeping it pretty simple this month. I'm calling my focus the Straight Feathered Goose! For starters, I'm going to continue working with the traditional straight razor in order to work toward mastery. Then, thanks to the gracious @Rufus T. , I'm also going to be trying out the Mongoose. I have been considering giving it a try, and he generously loaned me his to take it for a spin. So, the Straight Goose.......but with Feather Pro blades, hence, the Feathered part.

I know, I know, kind of tame for me this month but I'm hoping to give the Mongoose a solid try as well as getting closer to perfect TSR technique. I'll also be getting my Henkotsu Kamisori off to be honed and hope to have it for some fun in February.

So, get out the popcorn for another month with the 30 day crew. And let the great shaves AND shenanigans bring in the new year!

straight gooses.jpg

7. Bama Samurai

:happy088: Looking like a strong month already for the dark side!

mrchick, Bill_F, Seabs and 9 others like this.
  8. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Glad to see you back! Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the C1. It is one of the razors I am always on the look out for, hoping to find at a decent price. Have a happy new year and see you in 2016!

Bill_F, BigCabDaddy, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Pics to come when it all comes together. Dark side, January through March.

mrchick, Bill_F, BigCabDaddy and 8 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Pics, I assume and expect, also when it all comes apart. I may not be bleeding as much as normal. Somebody needs to take up the slack.

Bill_F, Seabs, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

It's good to know you support my effort the same way I did yours!

With great schadenfreude.

Bill_F, Drygulch, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  12. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

My January will again focus on my 58 Executive. This time doing a blade search to find blades that do or don't work with the razor. I am not as well supplied as @NCoxSTL when it comes to blades and especially odd blades so my selection will be more limited and less exciting/deadly. I will be placing the blades in a hat and randomly drawing a new blade to use every three shaves. (And yes, I will leave them wrapped as I have no desire to take up the slack on Neal's attempts to bleed). So my selection will include the following

20151231_023017-picsay.jpg

The ones hardest to read include the Bolzano Superinox in the bottom left, the 7 O'clock yellow in the bottom right and the Astra SP also on the right second down. The derby, dorco, and Lord blades have not treated me well in the past so those could be interesting.

I shall see how various blades do in this razor while using the 6&7 settings on the adjustable dial. They will be used based on my findings this past month. If I have shaved the day before then it will be 6 WTG and 7ATG (Chris's settings). If it has been more than a day then I will use Vince's settings of 7 WTG and 6 ATG. I will continue with my Stirling Kong brush and will face lather only this month (definitely becoming a convert). I will use a variety of soaps and aftershaves.

The first blade up starting Friday will be . . . the SuperMax Blue Diamond.

Hodge, mrchick, JR Reyes and 13 others like this.
  13. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Thanks for a great introduction Chris the focus was explained very well

Bill_F, Seabs, BigCabDaddy and 6 others like this.
  14. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

My short time getting to know you all and getting to know my razor has been brilliant. I'm looking forward to a new year with you all and all the things I'm going to discover and learn thanks for welcoming me and thanks for the help :signs097::thanks:

mrchick, Bill_F, Seabs and 12 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome back.

16. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - made up my mind on a focus to start the new year with.

focusjan.jpg

Since I almost exclusively used boar brushes lately, I want to give my two 2-band badgers a little more love in January. I plan to switch them every other day.
    The second focus is OC razors. I want to use each of these for a week: Merkur 15c, Phoenix DOC, Gillette New and the Gem OCMM. I have ordered a R41 head that might arrive next week, but I guess that will be a topic for another focus.
    Third focus: I'll try to use up some of my soap samples (WSP Gaelic Tweed, Stirling Bay Rum and Vanilla Sandalwood) to make room for new stuff in the cabinet ;)

Halvor, Darkbulb, JR Reyes and 14 others like this.
  17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I will be in possession of 2 new stainless steel razors by January 4 - Blackland Blackbird and Ikon B1 standard. I will use each razor for two weeks. I am going to keep all other things the same: soap - Route 66 Lumberjack; brush - Omega 10066; blade - TBD but likely Astra SP. My Weber will see duty as the exclusive head shaver of January.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

@Bama Samurai thanks again for a wonderful thread setup. @Rufus T. Glad you're back! I've missed you. :) @NCoxSTL UR the MAN! I love reading your daily journal aka SOTD. :happy088: The best! @TomJ89de Welcome to the 30DC! It's your turn to bring the milk. ;) @wmbjr I'd be lying if I didn't say I was jealous of your lovely 58 Executive! No one has as many weird blades as Neal has :p sometimes I wonder if he's not having uncle Vladimir Or as Neal calls him Vladdy custom make them for him. @Marverel you have a great plan in place, my only concern is when that R41 arrives everything will change. Stay focused :yoda @Troy M throwing down the gauntlet! Wow! You've been very busy!I look so forward to reading your thoughts on both new razors. Congratulations! :happy088: @clint64 always with class. I can not wait for your thoughts on the aluminum Mongoose! And whatever else you have coming.
    Me? I'll give my new iKon B1 Standard a spin, I would like to use my Gillette Milord more (used twice) but most important I want to hang out with this wonderful group of friends.
    Kerry

mrchick, Bill_F, BigCabDaddy and 12 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome back!

Bill_F, Seabs, BigCabDaddy and 10 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am going to join in again, and I am going to continue to work on my straights for the next month. I'll post a picture in a bit of the three I will be using.

I am going to reserve the right to use an occasional DE, as I have found some work mornings just don't work to well with straights.

Bill_F, Seabs, BigCabDaddy and 10 others like this.