January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Interesting about 1947. I'd eventually like a 1947 razor as that is also my father's birth year. He is not a shaving enthusiast by any means but I would still really enjoy having a razor from that year.

I'd also eventually like a 1981 razor - that's my birth year. But I'm not actively looking for these yet. I have too much other equipment to use and learn!

RaZorBurn123, TomJ89de, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  2. PLAla

Beautiful brush!!

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Got to be this one:

TomJ89de, wmbjr, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 1, 2016 (Shave 1 of this Focus)
    Razor: Ontario Cutlery Co. Geneva NY 5/8 muted square tip
    Strop: Drygulch Leatherworks Chromexcel Horse/ Linen
    Soap: Sterling Glacial Peppermint
    Brush: 28mm Ubersoft in Aluminum handle
    Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum Bar, Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: Lustray Draggon Noir
    IMG_2922.JPG IMG_2919.JPG
    The focus this month is to see how different finishes feel on the straight razor. My first razor I picked was one of the first ones I honed. It is an American razor made in New York by a company that still exists. I actually have one of their kitchen knives. I touched up the edge on my Translucent Arkansas stone, and stropped the edge on linen and leather. I successfully made a long lasting lather with the Sterling. I think I might be done with the Glacial soap. It performed well as far as slickness and cushion, but the level of menthol numbed my face to the point that I can’t really feel the way the edge was moving on my face. This caused me to apply more pressure. This helped me figure something out. I don’t think I ever got the bevel set with this razor. The bevel is the most important part of the edge, and if you don’t have a good consistent bevel on your razor, you won’t be able to polish it out to a sharper edge. So this shave, I used my hardest stone, but it felt neither keen nor smooth consistently. I actually had two lines of about 2 inches where I used too much pressure, the blade skipped, and sliced into my neck. Whoops. Finished all three passes. Closeness B, Irritation C, Smoothness D, Keeness D. Going back to the hones and going all the way back to bevel set on this one before next shave. The Draggon Noir is awesome stuff. Scent didn’t last long enough to irritate SWMBO, but I smelled nice for about 30 minutes. Then it died way down. Burn felt like clubman, and 16oz was only $6.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Always remember.....for safety....do as I SAY....not as I DO!! Well, mostly anyway. Bold and adventurous types are welcome to follow along.

RaZorBurn123, TomJ89de, wmbjr and 6 others like this.
  6. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

First shave of the 30 day rule went well today. Razor was gliding across my face. But I must have been a little over confident when I got to my Adams apple region, which is the hardest part for me to shave and a sensitive region. On the face, WTG, XTG in both directions. On the neck, 2 WTG passes. Everything feels great except the Adams apple

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the kind words!

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

RaZorBurn123, TomJ89de, wmbjr and 6 others like this.
  9. PLAla

SOTD January 1, 2016

Pre: Warm shower
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
    Razor: WSC 3-piece
    Brush: Nylon synthetic
    Lather: Pacific Caffeinated Shave Cream
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Captain's Choice North, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

My focus will begin on Monday since the holidays are still upon us.

Decent shave today. Only needed one pass with touch-up due to shaving late yesterday afternoon. The Pacific cream didn't lather like I remembered. It almost seemed as if the brush sucked up all the cream before the lathering in the bowl could do anything. I was not too happy with it this time. I've used it before with more success.

I've enjoyed the Rapira blade! I am new to this style of shaving and have now tried three brands of blades - Rapira, Astra SP, and Personna lab blue. I feel the Rapira is the best of those three.

I've noticed a few bumps on my cheek so I may take tomorrow off from shaving. Either tomorrow or Sunday. That's a little unusual for me so I'll need to do some analyzing to see what might be behind the irritation.

I hope all have a great New Year's Day!

View attachment 87603

cmorris357, NCoxSTL, Troy M and 8 others like this.
  10. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Happy New Year everyone! This month's focus is on 2 things:

My King Cobra razor, and using this Muhle Synthetic brush that I had for a while.
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, Troy M, wristwatchb and 8 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ummmm......is there a problem in there somewhere?

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I humbly suggest no prep other than hand washing (no cloth) your face with mild soap and lukewarm water. Over prep is a very common source of irritation. Your razor DE or SE already provides sufficient exfoliation, any hard scrubbing and you risk adding to the irritation.

13. Bama Samurai

So far so good! The neck is the trickiest part. I really like the that you're sticking to WTG on the neck. Chasing BBS on the neck is tricky, and largely unnecessary. Nice day today!

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Fantastic picture. How much snow do you have? Fine L'Orange Noir is nice. Clean.

15. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

If only I'd of read this before my shave. Bad technique tonight coupled with over prep. I've got cuts weepers and Lots of burn my head is killing me :happy102: it is a valued lesson I'm one of life's people that learns best the hard way. This 1924 is all or nothing in terms of angle, you get it right it's a beautiful shave if angle is off slightly it bites. I'm definitely pressing on it a little as well I will get there. The pain I'm feeling now will improve my technique, I don't want this again. This will be an interesting focus.

Norcalnewb, Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 5 others like this.
  16. TomJ89de

Seems you had an interesting shave also. Today I learned not to persist with poor lather next time I will wash it away and start again, I also learned I need to show the 1924 more respect and slow down I'm approaching it with the confidence I gained using my 34c and it's a totally different ball game

17. TomJ89de

Although I'm sitting here in agony, I'm very pleased you had a good one :happy088:

18. TomJ89de

Great pic again Douglas for some reason I like the way the fine is angled.

19. Bama Samurai

We all had these days in the beginning. Don't let it get you down!

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The 1924 does require a great deal of respect. I've found it best to start with the head nearly flat to my face. As you start the stroke drop the handle until you hear the whiskers being cut. With time and practice the angle will become second nature. Also a very light touch is needed. If you forget you'll pay a price for the error. The 1924 will punish incorrect technique quickly. At least that is what happened to me.