January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I shaved for years with an electric razor before I started using a DE. At first, shaving ATG on my neck resulted in nicks and irritation. After months of working on my technique and shaving mostly WTG on my neck, I began with extremely light ATG strokes. I can now shave ATG on my neck with no problems. Continue to focus on your technique, and it may come for you in time. :happy088:

2. wristwatchb

Tom, I'm sorry you had a bad shave today. I'm sure you will eventually master the 1924 and eventually get some wonderful shaves with it. :)

3. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Thanks I like to think it's a right of passage that we all must go through in the search for the perfect shave

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That was some crazy :kngt:

5. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I Don't Know Nothin'

I just had one of the best shaves in awhile and yet... I'm feeling a little discouraged by it. The lowdown:

Old Type generously sent by @
    Israeli Red Personna
    Penhaligon Endymion
    Omega 48 Pro
    Thayer's Witch Hazel
    Tabac aftershave

So why the discouragement? Because I'm not sure I have anything figured out yet.

As you might have read elsewhere, I'd run across a $5 Old Type while waiting for this one to arrive from Germany. But that first one gave me some of the very worst shaves I had until I happened on "shimming" for some blade gap. Well, I decided to try this second Old Type as Gillette intended and guess what? One of the better shaves I've had. The blade is different. I suppose that could be it but it sure doesn't seem like it should be such a drastic difference. I'll study them side by side I guess and see if I can come up with something. I'm adding figuring out these two SC Old Types to my January 2016 focus.

Anyway, the 48 seems to be breaking in nicely. I'm somewhere around 6-10 shaves in with it and it's already beginning to split and spread. I actually prefer the Omega to the more broken in Semogue 2000 because I seem to get a better lather that is actually willing to leave the brush. But figuring out these boars is one of the things this month is all about so onward and upward.

The "soap" I used was Penhaligon Endymion which I guess is no soap at all but a cream. I never used a cream. I don't know how to use a cream or what it's supposed to be like. So I pushed it around in my bowl with the wet brush. It loaded the brush but it didn't lather per se. Finally, I gave up and just painted what I had on my face and hoped for the best. It worked great! I really liked it whether I used it "right" or not.

Remember how I said I didn't think I could hang with the Tabac smell when it arrived Monday? Well once again I learn that what something smells like in the bottle and what it smells like in uses vary drastically. In use, Tabac aftershave smells very nice to me. Amongst my favorites in fact. From thinking I'd be getting rid of a barely opened bottle, I'll now be on the prowl for Tabac soap. Go figure.

Anyway, I don't get the razor. My brush experience seems to be different from any I've read about. I don't know how to use cream but it worked. I like an aftershave I hated a couple days ago.

Great New Year's shave, but I don't know nothin'.

6. wristwatchb

Welcome to the January Focus! I dab the shaving cream on my face in a few places, and then I face lather. Your Pro 48 is a nice brush, and it would work perfectly in this fashion.

7. wristwatchb

January 2

Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (Z3)
    Feather (1)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silver tip
    Route 66 Lumberjack
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum

SOTD_010216.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Jan 2 Focus Shave 1

Today's razor and treatment is a Dovo Master's Series finished on Shapton 12k, Dovo red/back paste and then 200,000 grit diamond paste. Unfortunately I forgot to strop the razor before the shave.

The shave felt smooth but I got 3 weepers. 4 passes no problem except for the weepers. The alum test had some sting, given the smooth feeling during the shave I was disappointed. Faceturbation and yes it is BBS.

Irritation B+ Closeness A

Castle Forbes Cedar Wood Sandalwood with AoS Tallow Sandalwood
    Simpson Polo 8 Super Badger
    Whitehead scuttle
    Dove Master's
    Forgot to strop
    Speick AS
    Speick ASB
    Chanel Egoïste
    IMG_2144.jpg

9. wristwatchb

Hello Keith. This is a great start to 2016. It's interesting that you didn't strop the blade but got a smooth shave anyway. That's good data point even if it wasn't intended. So you went from the 12K stone, to red, black, and then diamond paste? Do you have a different (linen?) strop for each level of grit?

10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Sorry to hear about the shave but it is definitely a learning process. Like Clint said take your time and listen for that audible feedback from the razor. One piece of advice I got from Clint and Adam and others was to make sure the water or radio or fan or whatever makes noise is off so it is just me and the razor and I can hear that feedback that it makes to know I am at the right angle. Hope the next shave is a great one!

11. wmbjr

The permanent newbie! Definitely looking forward to reading about your learning process with the straights.

12. wmbjr

Looking forward to your thoughts on the DOC and the various blades. It is one of the razors I would eventually like to own so your month will give me good insight for later!

I also enjoy all your updates on the soaps so looking forward to the other soaps you use this month.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January 2016

Straight Feather Goose Focus

January 1

Happy New Year! Well, a year ago I had my first 30 day Rule shave and was off and running. To the newbies I say WELCOME and hang in there! It gets better by the day. And, it gets more fun too. Just think about it, in a year you'll be shaving just like me! Okay, okay, I hear you guys.....yeah, maybe not the best plug for the group. However, technique really is everything. Without it I would have bled to death a few times I'm sure.

For January I'm focusing on two razors, the W.B. Speed Rabbit TSR and the Mongoose, on loan from @Rufus T. Since the Goose uses AC blades I'm using the Feather Pros. So here we go for January 1.

Razor - Mongoose
    Blade - artist-club-small-professional-blades.jpg
    Brush - BoS Omega 10066
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea, The Veg

I've been wanting to try a Mongoose and thanks to Vince I have the chance. What a guy eh? My first impression of this razor is two things.....sharp looking and HEAVY. Wow! No need for pressure with this thing. I'm familiar with the Feather Pro from my time with the pain stick but have never had it in a single edge configuration. The first pass was impressive. Felt very smooth and definitely sharp but very controlled and seemed milder, which of course would be due to being in a guard and not just a Feather SS handle. Second pass was XTG and a third pass put the baby to bed. Very impressive. I could have had BBS on two passes with a bit more concentration so I have that as a goal for the month. DFS on one, BBS on two. Great razor and great feel. Of course having BoSFat ahead of it didn't hurt.

I'll stay with the Goose another day and probably return to the Rabbit on Sunday. Hope your year got off to a great start! Mine was good.....busy day at work and I didn't mind at all.

goose.jpg

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The cartel approves of this guy. So smart, so quick to learn, such good taste. :happy088:

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

1) What is your baseline/benchmark setup?
    2) Have you attempted to completely isolate the variable that's caused the problems for you?

But hey, congrats on catching a great shave today!

16. Bama Samurai

New Year's Day 2016

image.jpeg

I did my first lifetime SR shave today with the @Keithmax Ralf Aust 5/8. I did a complete N-S pass and almost a whole E-W pass. Crazy audible feedback! I concentrated on two spine width angles, and it peeled the whiskers clean off. Surprisingly the Route 66 protected my face from my novice SR skill! Alum was alright. Touched up with a Gillette Fat Boy, ISZ and Clubamn, and I had a great experience. No blood at all! Time spent reading all the stuff about SR really paid off today! Will definitely doing again tomorrow! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado!
    Have a super Saturday!
    :)

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Very nice! Welcome to the dark side.

18. Bama Samurai

Thank you! I must confess I was a little nervous at first, but it was easier than I anticipated. I credit the Brotherhood of the Pain Stick and the SR guys like Adam, Keith, Kevin, et al for giving me the knowledge I needed to make it work. But as you observed earlier, after that easy of a first day, I worry the initial mishap just might be a glorious disaster.

But hey, what's the worst that could happen?

19. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

Sheffield England has produced three of my top five straight shavers that I own. This is my first 9/16 hollow. After lots of research, trial and error, and and hairless arm (and part of one leg) I got this steel into a whisker wrecking machine. THIS blade will be my focus for the month. After which I'll be doing a complete restore complete with new scales.

2 passes wtg and xtg with Stirling vanilla sandalwood providing the fluffy protection. This had to be one of my favorite scents of all time. I enjoyed the larger blade. The jibs I line on all my straights. The big blade felt well balanced in my hand and frankly want too nervous after the first few strokes. Do I have some things to learn about honing still? Yes sir. But this was a great first step in my learning process.
    [​IMG]

20. wristwatchb

Great job, Chris! :happy096: