Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obturador

obturador Active Member

My 2nd shave with the blackbird/astra sp was very good. Just a minor cut on my lower neck. While using soap commander soap I think I did feel the resistance that PoM was talking about.

I wonder if applying a light coat of pre-shave oil to the cap would help? @ShaneS do you think the finish would be messed up by doing that?

RyX and BeShaved like this.
  2. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I'm nearly certain it wouldn't have any negative effect. In fact, black oxide parts are often oiled or waxed to provide extra protection to the part. So I don't think oil would be problem. But then, I've also never seen the need as I don't personally encounter that resistance. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

BeShaved and obturador like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting. I wonder if it's my hair type, skin, or the angle of the razor that is causing that sensation for me and others?

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Not sure. I can't recall ever feeling the razor to be tugging/resisting - quite the opposite really as it has always felt very smooth.
    I think I had a two-shave-or-so 'learning curve' before I found the, to me, best angle but that was mostly to do with efficiency.

The world of wetshaving is one big YMMV - heaven knows what it could be...skin, technique, soap, blade, phase of the moon, etc... :)

BeShaved and Omelmad like this.
  5. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Not sure. Granted, I've also been using the razor almost daily for something like 6 or 8 months, plus however long I was using the plastic version. So I've got it about as dialed in as I imagine you could. But when I use a Mongoose, I wind up with a lot more razor on the skin than the BB and that doesn't cause noticeable drag for me either. Maybe it's just me?

Hard to diagnose what's causing your issues, but the only solution I've found to get better shaves with a razor is to just shave more often with it. I absolutely hated the Cobra the first several times I used it. Then I figured it out. Maybe that will happen to you. Or maybe it won't. I sure hope it does, though. :)

BeShaved and Omelmad like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting answers from both of you. I suspect I just don't have it dialed in properly.

As @Darkbulb has previously alluded to, this razor has a learning curve. It's rare that a DE razor requires any degree of skill to use. The Blackbird is unusual in that, while it does require skill to master, it is both equally forgiving and easy to use.

While this might sound like a contradiction, it isn't. Make of that what you will.

BeShaved and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I dont know about that DE razors doesnt require a degree of skill, hade you tried using a merkur37c? =P personally that's a razor that was very different from all other razors I had tried.

One thing that pops up in my head is your pre shave, i know you don't get this drag with other razors. But is it possible you are using some kind of preshave. Like a soap in the shower or something like that that might be leaving some kind of residue?

When I use oliveoil bath soap and get some on my hands or face, I feel a type of "drag" because the soap leaves a little residue. Have you changed anything in your pre shave routine?

BeShaved, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I was going to shave this morning, but thought I would check the tracking number 1 more time before I headed up. Guess I will wait until after 4 p.m. today!

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine is on our crazy lady's mail truck as we speak. I did not so much plan for it, (holidays, drinking and naps) but I will have three day's growth for today's shave. I have a pretty heavy beard. (I am one of those silverback gorilla types.) To me, if I can take that first pass off comfortably, while using a brand new razor, then smooth myself out without letting go of any blood,,, it's an instant winner. Like pulling Excaliber out of the rock. :)

I'm not saying that if the shave doesn't work out as planned, there isn't a learning curve for a new razor, and it will improve with time. I have had a couple PERFECT first shave razors for me so far (YMMV), the S2 being one, the Fatip one, and I know this sounds odd considering my first two choices, a pre-war Tech the third. What I am saying, is that the Blackbird has a chance to fall into that perfect category, today.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't changed anything in my routine. My 'pre-shave' is usually water, hot and post-shower, followed by lather.

I ought to try a preshave oil on my next outing with this razor. That might be the missing 'X-Factor.'

@ShaneS & @Darkbulb do you guys use pre-shave oil?

BeShaved, Troy M and Omelmad like this.
  11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm.. Okey. It was just e theory =P

BeShaved and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    No, I think you might be on to something. I'm sure I've seen at least Shane post that he uses pre-shave oil. Not sure about DB.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't.

14. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I don't either. Never tried it, actually.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Drat. Foiled again. No super sleuth award for me. :(

16. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

Razor has arrived, looks and feels great! All parts machined perfectly insuring a precise fit resulting in absolute blade fit! Congratulations, couldn't be any better. First shave was fantastic!

17. PickledNorthern

Okay, I just met Crazy Mail Lady at the door, and the Blackbird has landed. I haven't seen a pic of the tin put up yet, so I just want to say: Shane, I like the tin, the cards and the packing. Good job.

Okay, I would like to post some photos, and have been trying, but I quit. My God.

The machining of the razor is really first class. This thing is that occasional work of art we talk about. I appreciate the harder lines and sharp angles. They are what caught my eye in the first place. I am no millwright, but I know that when a line or angle on a piece of metal isn't right, you round it off. It takes good work to leave it edged like that. Kind of like you need a better sheetrock finisher to leave your walls flat as opposed to orange peeling everything. I know that the recessed handle being sort of proprietary was a point of discussion earlier, but after seeing it? I like it. It is a perfect fit, gives it a look of stability, and really, what other razor would you use it on? "I wanted to attach a fluted gun barrel to my EJ, but..." And the design of the head certainly doesn't prohibit putting a different handle on it if one chooses. I'm saying good call on this design point.

So far, I have nothing but excitement and positives to report, based off of handling and appearance only. I will shave in a little bit, and get back to you.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I think I've sorted out my issues.

Pre-shave oil literally makes no difference to the feel of the razor, so for the second pass I opted out of using the pre-shave oil and focused on getting a thin, slick (super wet) lather instead of my normal lather. I'm happy to report zero to little drag on that go-around.
    Tomorrow will be Blackbird free, unfortunately. Aggressive razors are occasional use items for me, and while this is one the milder side of the aggressive scale, I feel my blue tip calling me. I have a bit of irritation on my neck after this last go around. It's been getting worse and worse over the last few days.:)

Edit: I would probably be irritation free if I'd been opting for my usual one pass +touchups on my neck that I normally do, but I've been putting the Blackbird through it's paces, so two and three passes have been the norm.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    twhite, nunhgrader, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

How crazy is she? :)

twhite, nunhgrader, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

She is actually okay, she is just more cartoonish than anything else. She lurches around in her mail truck like she is driving a go cart at the track. Groan that little underpowered thing forward as fast as it will go, then screech to a stop at the next box,,,, 100 feet away.

Once in a while you see her headed back to the PO at the end of the day. She is all hunched over the wheel and intense looking, like her last name is Andretti, trying to pass you in the left lane, but going nowhere fast.

RyX, twhite, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.