January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

That's very true. Imagine a whole year of not buying anything shave related!

Drygulch, Bill_F, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I don't think it can be done. :happy102:

BigCabDaddy, Drygulch, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  3. TomJ89de

I'm all for encouraging others but I agree, it can't be done. Sorry no buyers I have no faith

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I'm going to give it a try. I'll be lucky to make it through January.

5. TomJ89de

Full respect for trying, I have it somewhere near trying to walk on water though. Like with all addictions you would have to remove yourself from that circle creating the addiction.

6. wristwatchb

You'll make it, Clint. If you want something this year, PM me. I'll buy it and PIF it to you. You can pay me back in 2017. Totally under the radar. Just like we agreed. :scared007:

It's all in good fun, and I admire everyone who has committed to NB16. I'm actually thinning my inventory down and enjoying what I have too. I may pick up a couple of straight razor related goodies, though, this year. Have a great weekend.

7. TomJ89de

What a great idea enable the addictions, and if you put interest on the pay nothing for a year offer, make a load of cash too. If you need a partner in this deal count me. I will handle things over the pond!

BigCabDaddy, Drygulch, Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

Sounds good. We'll enlist Keith to be our Asia distributor. We'll have global reach!

9. TomJ89de

:happy102::happy102::happy088:

BigCabDaddy, Drygulch, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah Im excited to finally have a Pils razor in my den. Ive spent the past several months exploring aggressive razors and while enjoying the efficiency of many of them, Im starting to appreciate how close a shave I can get with a milder razor using proper technique.

BigCabDaddy, Drygulch, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

Straight Razor Focus January 2:

Homemade PS Oil
    Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger
    Stirling Gatlinburg SS
    Frederick's Celebrated Razor
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Gatlinburg AS

I didn't shave yesterday, so today was my first shave of the new year. I continued on with the same level of shave I had gotten the past few days with the straight. I will admit to one thing: I had been getting very close to BBS the previous couple of shaves, so I purposely kept it a little rough today. I was getting so close that I didn't need to follow up the next day. I was doing a two pass, WTG and ATG, so today I went WTG and XTG. I also did not do any clean up. This shave is easily a DFS, but it was very comfortable.

As I noted in a post above, I do find that my breathing gets a little strained when working my neck. This and some skin stretching will be my focus for the next few shaves.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Well I did order an Ikon OC head on sale before the New Year. Also, I will get on the waiting lists for another Wolfman razor if and when James opens up the lists again. But I disclosed that before the NB 2016 attempt. My big temptation is fantastic deals that come up on the various forums. I am just trying not to look at those.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree it is nice to shave with a milder razor and get great results. Plus I like the fact that the milder razors do not bite as hard when I make a mistake.

14. TomJ89de

That is something I'm aware of I just started getting BBS with my mild razor and I've jumped on an aggressive one. I need to make sure I keep well practiced with mild ones.

Drygulch, Bill_F, wmbjr and 3 others like this.
  15. TomJ89de

Great pic straights are so cool well beyond my skill set though

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

3 passes DFS on my beard. But boy is it efficient.

BigCabDaddy, Drygulch, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  17. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Just completed my first january shave. The 37C and Astra blades performed as expected. I may have pushed a little too hard to get a BBS shave (slight razor burn) but I am very happy to have made a start in my "month of improvement". I typically shave every other day, so I'm looking forward to my next fourteen shaves!

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Watch. :)

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That'd probably be a two pass razor for me, my beard is pretty average/light.

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thanks for the kind words. I got my first straight about a year ago. Looking back, I should have waited. I learned a ton on this 30DC thread over the last year, and I think this has prepared me better now.