January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

I've promised my wife I won't touch one for a year.... I know what my December focus is.

Drygulch, Bill_F, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It will be a breeze in a year. That's how long I waited.

Drygulch, wmbjr, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. TomJ89de

I know nothing of it but have you tried the strop yet? I imagine that's make or break and takes time to master

Drygulch, wmbjr, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

I will strop today for the first time. And no kidding, reading and absorbing knowledge for a year allowed me to have a understanding of SR shaves though I'd never actually done it. If you spend the time focusing on angles and pressure, the straight will come naturally.

5. TomJ89de

I look forward to getting to that point. I also look forward to how your next shave goes including the first strop good luck with that.

6. Bama Samurai

Thank you! I have a shave planned in a couple of hours, will post the outcome!

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, do you plan to use a hanging strop, a paddle strop, or a hanging strop stretched across a flat surface? I thought I would start by stropping on a flat surface.

Drygulch, Bama Samurai, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  8. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I know others have said this, but let me add mine. Welcome to the 30 Day crew! We're glad your with us!

9. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 30 Day crowd, we're glad you're here! I like the Rapira too, but I found that I liked the Super Stainless, better than the Swedish Supersteel. Not sure why, but the Super Stainless gave me closer shaves in more razors with less irritation than the Swedish Supersteel. Naturally, everyone is different (Your Mileage May Very) so stay with the blade you like for your focus, and checkout others later when you feel like it.

PLAla, Drygulch, Bama Samurai and 5 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

January 3

Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (Z3)
    Feather (2)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silver tip
    TSD Unscented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum

SOTD_010316.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I made almost three months with wet shaving before I went to straights. I haven't looked back. 30 day foci are very helpful with straights too.

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Charlie-

I have a four sided WD paddle, two sides leather, two sides of ChromOx balsa red and green. I will learn to strop on that, and gain a little touch and confidence. After that...

I have a new black 45 from Adam that is hanging right now. Gravity is straightening it out, and I am hand rubbing it daily to condition it per Adam's info letter. Once my strop skills are ok, I'll move over to Adam's 45.

Edit: I have not shaved yet today.

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

My opinion is that it's easier than people think.

14. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

DFS this morning. Lather was my best yet, nice and smooth with a great cushion to it. This proraso green is very newbie friendly, loving it. Shaving technique felt pretty good today as well. Was extra cautious around the adams apple and did not get over confident this time. Near perfect shave except a pretty decent nick on my chin where I have a scar (goes all the way across horizontally) which I have not had an issue with until today.

15. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

January 2016 Focus -- Blade search for the 1958 Executive

January 2

Razor: Gillette 1958 Executive adjustable
    Blade: SuperMax Blue Diamond (2)
    Brush: Stirling Kong
    Soap: Arko

Another good shave from the SuperMax. Again very close and no irritation. Still more touch up required than with the GSB but a good overall shave. Today was again very close to BBS but not quite. It did very well lasting yesterday but not as long today.

I tried arko again. I had a hard time with it last time I used it. Well I still have a hard time with it. I used it as a stick and smeared it all over my face. Wet my Kong really well and started swirling. I get plenty of lather using it but it seems to dissipate and just is not very slick for me. Probably will just put it away and only use it as an emergency travel soap. Oh well.

One more day with the SuperMax and then will draw my next blade.

Edit: For some reason I can't get a picture to load. I will try again later tonight or maybe take another picture if I get a chance.

16. Bama Samurai

I largely learned on Proraso. Very glad it worked out for you! Good day today!

Bill_F, Norcalnewb, wmbjr and 4 others like this.
  17. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Question for face latherers: what's the best way to do creams? My thought is to put a dime sized dab on each side and then using a damp brush begin working it around. Or is it better to smear it on with your hands as if you were smearing a shave stick so it is everywhere and then work it with the brush. Thanks for the tips. Tomorrow will be my Proraso red since everyone talking about Proraso.

Marverel, Rufus T., Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I just put a dab on each side of my face and go from there.

Rufus T., Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

+1

TomJ89de, Rufus T., Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Asia is covered, this 'no buy' for a year sounds like insanity to me.

TomJ89de, Rufus T., Drygulch and 5 others like this.