January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I smear on face and lather with a brush, adding water as needed to the knot of the brush.

clint64, TomJ89de, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Jan 3 Focus Shave 2

Today's razor and treatment is a Dovo Bismarck finished on Shapton 12k, Dovo red/back paste. Today I remembered to strop first. Yesterday's Dovo and today's razor shave very similar, well identical to me. The only difference is the diamond paste finish and forgetting to strop.

The blade felt much smoother today, I am guessing because I stropped the razor. The first pass also did more beard reduction than normal. Four passes felt very smooth but I had several weepers, I think this was due to some pimples and yesterdays weepers. The alum showed that I had less irritation than yesterday except for where I had the weepers. BBS today too.

Irritation B+ Closeness A Smoothness A- Keenness A (I upgraded my scoring systems to match @Drygulch)

QCS Fougère
    Gemstars Elk Antler silver tip
    Whitehead scuttle
    Dove Bismark 2
    Dry Gulch strop
    Lucky Tiger AS
    Castle Forbes Lavender ASB
    Creed Royal Mayfair (Windsor)
    IMG_2147.jpg

3. Bama Samurai

It sounds like either too much water or not enough soap on your face. Get crazy with it, and when you think you have enough, do some more.

4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Sounds like the plan! Thanks guys.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Keith, congrats on a smoother shave today. You mentioned the use of diamond paste yesterday. Do you use 1 micron, 0.5 micron, or something else? Thanks for your help!

TomJ89de, Drygulch, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  6. wmbjr

I thought I had twice as much of both as I needed. Will definitely look into more water. It produced an explosion of lather it just disappeared and want very slick. Will add more of both but especially water and give it one more try next week.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Not sure what micron but is 200,000 grit.

Just looked it up, 0.1 micron.

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]

Ikon B1 Standard bar razor with bulldog handle. Paired with a Shark SS. Lather: Dusy Kabinett Brush: TGN Finest badger.

9. Bama Samurai

Shave 2 - 90 Days of SR

image.jpeg

Today's activity was a bit more complete. Before prepping I carefully took 12 laps on the leather paddle. Then it was time to load up some Route 66 and get with it. I guess I stropped it without killing the edge, it shaved much the same as it did yesterday. Pass one went well, but I made poor lather at first, but I adjusted and was able to complete a NS pass. I wanted to see what effect the razor had in different areas, and predictably, the cheeks were pretty smooth, but everywhere else needed another pass. Pass two was as much XTG as possible, no issues. After a rinse, it was 90% CCS with a bit of rough left on the extreme angular parts of the jaw and chin. Fixed it with a FB, and it was time for alum. The alum was hotter today, but tolerable. I did have one minor weeper, but still no real cuts. Two hours later my face feels pretty good, just a touch of irritation in the neck fold but nothing bad. I finished with 10 laps on the leather after thoroughly drying the razor. I think I am getting it, but can tell that I have much to learn and practice. It was a nice afternoon, got out in the sun with the dogs for a bit. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.
    Have a great Sunday!
    :)

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD January 2, 2016

Pre: Warm shower
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (4)
    Razor: Shave Club 3-piece
    Brush: Badger
    Lather: Soap Commander Vision (sample)
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Speick a/s, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, ATG, touch-up

My planned focus begins on Monday. I posted in the SOTD thread this morning but then had to run for a day trip to Atlanta. But we're back now safe and sound and wanted to post in this forum too.

DFS results today! Little to no irritation. One little nick near my nose from a moment of poor concentration, but excellent other than that. The Vision scent from Soap Commander is bright and minty - a great way to begin the day.

The Rapira blade continues to work for me. I know it doesn't agree with everyone out there, but I guess that's why there are so many brands of blades! There is one for everybody.

My plan is for Monday through Thursday of this coming week to use Proraso White with the Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic brush and continuing the Rapira Swedish blade. I'll start a new blade on Monday. As I said above those have been working for me so far. Then Friday through Sunday of next week I'll experiment with a different soap or cream. My goal is to focus on pressure awareness and blade angle.

Hope you all had a great Saturday!

[​IMG]

11. Bama Samurai

Sounds great! Angle is everything, good luck!

12. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Welcome to the 30 Day crew! Glad you could join us! I'm sure your shaves will get even better as you make your way through your 30 day rule. I like Proraso cream too. I used up almost a whole tube of the sandalwood and one of the menthol (C.O. Bigelow cream) before I started working with soaps.

13. obturador

obturador Active Member

If I'm not too late to join the party....I'll give the 30 day focus another go. I'll be using my awesome new Blackbird paired with Astra SP blades, Soap Commander Courage, omega 10066. That was my new years shave setup so I won't be breaking the 30 focus .

Boojum1, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 11 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Welcome to the 30 Day crew! We always have room for more, it's never too late. What you've laid out satisfies 30 Day Rule guidelines too, if you wanted to claim the more rigorous standard. I used Astra last month and thought it was a very nice blade, and looking forward to your impressions of the newest DE on the block. Good luck!

Norcalnewb, clint64, Bill_F and 8 others like this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome aboard!
    If it felt as smooth as yesterday, you stropped it correctly! Take your time and build up some muscle memory.

Norcalnewb, clint64, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January 2016

Straight Feather Goose Focus

January 2

For January I'm focusing on two razors, the W.B. Speed Rabbit TSR and the Mongoose, on loan from @Rufus T. Since the Goose uses AC blades I'm using the Feather Pros. So here we go for January 1.

Razor - Mongoose
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Soap - TSD Lanolin Bay Rum
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea, Clubman

Day two of the Mongoose and another good shave. However, I did discover that it has a bit of a harsh side but I'm pretty sure it was my fault. I used my WW brush and TSD Lanolin, great lather so no problem there. However, when the razor weighs as much as this one does it's important to remember NO PRESSURE. I did fine on my face but on the ATG pass on my neck I started to bear down just a bit. Bad habit, probably, and sometimes I add a bit of pressure with a regular DE to try and hurry the DFS along. With the Goose that really creates some irritation. I felt it as I did it, the scrape and instant burn. The Feather Pro is such a sharp blade (as my previous blood has attested) that you really need to let the razor and blade do the work. Lesson learned. No blood, just a lot of irritation that the alum was more than happy to point out. And the Nivea. And the Clubman.

Finished two passes with a very high level DFS other than the irritation. Tomorrow I go back to the Rabbit for a few shaves. Hope you had a great Saturday.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The BOPS appreciates your kind words and stands fully behind you. Far enough to avoid the inevitable blood spurts, but right there somewhere close behind you anyway!

bops.jpg

Norcalnewb, clint64, Bill_F and 7 others like this.
  18. wmbjr

Welcome aboard! Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the blackbird. What other razors do you use that you can compare it with? Anything vintage?

19. obturador

obturador Active Member

Ty ty, I still consider myself a newbie and my experience with razors is limited. I can tell you that I'm enjoying it thus far (mind you I'm only 2 shaves into it). I'll do my best to describe my journey.

Norcalnewb, clint64, Bill_F and 8 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

I am doing the NB16, but something tells me 2017 is gonna be a big year.

Norcalnewb, clint64, Bill_F and 6 others like this.