Russian blades. Two prime factories, owners and location.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

After some reading on Russian blades I noticed that all though many Russian DE blades are on the market, they came from only two factories.
    One in St. Petersburg and the other in Moscow.
    Decided to share research listing which DE blades are from which city and company.

St. Petersburg vs Moscow Russian blades.

Via St. Petersburg by Gillette/ZAO Petersburg Int.

Gillette Silver Blue (light blue)

Gillette Platinum (dark blue)

Gillette Rubie Platinum

Perma-Sharp

Iridium super

Astra Super Stainless (blue)

Astra Super Platinum (green)

Sputnik

Polsilver

Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)

Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow)

Nacet

Via Moscow by JSC Mostochlegmash :

Voskhod

Rapira Platinum Lux

Rapira Swedish Supersteel

Rapira Stainless Chrome

Rapira Super Stainless

Ladas

Sharp Star

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

You have Sputnik listed under both factories. They are produced by Gillette in St. Petersburg.

BearCWY, AGHisBBS and Red Rider like this.
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice post @Red Rider great info. :happy088:

4. cmorris357

Mostochlegmash also made Sharp Star blades. Hard to find in bulk, but Tryablade.com carries them.

5. Red Rider

Thanks Chris. Fixed.

6. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time out to make this list. I just decided to try and compare all the Gillette blades I currently have and attempt to try out as many of the others as I can as well. I didn't realize how many are made in the same factories. It will be interesting seeing if any are similar even if they are named differently but made in the same factory. I will be having to get a lot more than just Gillette brand blades for this test.

7. Red Rider

@NapalmCola Once I realized that Russian blades although vast were basically made in only two different factories I felt a list was needed. Many of the established brands once belonged to other companies were purchased and consolidated into the new ownership production facilities.
    I also wonder how many are just re-branded same blades now that they are under one or in this case two roofs.
    I did find it funny that both my Rapira Stainless blade and the Voskhod blades both state "do not wipe" look, feel and function the same minus the different labeling. Could just be my biased now knowing they are made in the same plant. I did use them back to back.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Mostochlegmash. I think that's what my grandma used to feed us. Some potato's and then after that we didn't want to know.

BearCWY, NapalmCola and Robyflexx like this.
  9. cmorris357

Beats haggis. My grandmother was of Scots extraction. My father extracted large amounts of Johnnie Walker.

BearCWY and NapalmCola like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

11. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I have came across threads saying someone knew someone knew someone who worked quality control at one of the factories and KNOWS that each blade is made from different machines in different parts of the factory.
    Of course I have also came across posts where former employees afraid to reveal there identity who KNOW that they are all the same blades from the same single machine just repacked for different price points and for different global markets that they can make more profit from.

The truth is out there...

Que the eerie music.

BearCWY, Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Chris I'll take your word for that since I don't forsee having a chance at trying it, unless McDonalds replaces the McRib with a Haggis verison.

13. Red Rider

Done. I guess you'll be trying it then. :signs002:

[​IMG]

BearCWY and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. Red Rider

Bumping this thread and asking for any shave feedback regarding the above mentioned DE blades.
    Consider : Smoothness - Sharpness - Longevity - Cost - Re-purchase scale.

jimjo1031 and BearCWY like this.
  15. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

In the 6 months I've been DE shaving, it's interesting that nearly every blade I've tried happens to have come from the St Petersburg factory...

16. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

Soooo.... who knows the truth? It kind of makes Russian sampler packs pointless I think...

BearCWY likes this.
  17. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I have tried many of the blades listed and they do preform differently especially in the smoothness category. 4 from each manufacturer and have a few more to go that I have on hand. I can say that of the ones I've tried Sharp stars are the smoothest and plenty sharp, followed closely by Voskhod from the Mostochlegmash plant. From the other plant my top 2 are Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O'clock super stainless. All of the ones I've tried preformed a little different than all the others in my humble opinion in the razors I've used them in. That being said YMMV of course but I haven't done a thorough trial on them like using the same soap and razor each time, I may have to do that someday a post it.

18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Looks like all my favorites come from St Petersburg.

BearCWY likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like a couple from each. Both make very good blades.

BearCWY likes this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Mine too.

BearCWY likes this.