January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Hmmm...who do they play next? Seattle?
    Haven't we seen that game already ?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451884061.405547.jpg

Agreed, nothing to talk about.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Revenge will be sweet

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yup. Now that's enabling!

4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

hmmm...
    How's that possible? They don't play each other next season!

nuthin' but net!!! :sport001:

5. Bama Samurai

Bill, you may want to try a sharper blade to get to BBS. That's what I think stopped you today, lord is indeed very smooth, but not in the sharpest class of blades. You quite obviously had the angle correct if you could hear the razor peeling them off! Throw in a day two Feather or a GSB and you'll catch for sure now. :happy088:

6. Bama Samurai

That is a good day! You're well on the way at this point! You noted something that's also true for me. My best shaves have always come on days when I managed to focus on angles and shaving well, and was not concerned with the outcome whilst shaving. Stick with this approach for the rest of the month and I venture that you will be almost able to shave in the dark. Nice work.

7. Bama Samurai

Reports like that make me happy. That's razor looks great in black!

8. Bama Samurai

@Douglas Carey

I am so late to the party. Happy Birthday! I hope it was a great day.

9. Bama Samurai

Nice write up! I look forward to following the reports. :happy088:

10. Bama Samurai

Also @Keithmax

I won't be commenting much, but I am soaking it in. I hope you guys discuss all month!

11. Bama Samurai

Day 3 - 90 Days of SR

image.jpeg

1 WTG, 1 XTG and some touchup. No FB. Got mustache area smooth for first time. Nicked my ear a touch, no issues really, but some blood was shed today. I think the strop is going ok so far. I had a little irritation afterward in trouble spots, but honestly didn't have a great angle day. Feeling good about it. I looked clean shaven and felt mostly smooth. The process is much more deliberate and slower than I've experienced, but I assume it's because I still have no routine, or stroke pattern. However, the blade feels better in my hand, and the grip is feeling more natural, too.

Have a sterling Monday!
    :)

12. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I, like Adam, am still refreshing this 6/8 round point sheffield blade. I think I *could* give it a few more passes on the finishing eschter. But I really like this blade - a lot. My daugther took the time to organize and "rate" all my soaps and suggest my choice for the evening/focus of the month. Winner - Stirling Vanilla Sandelwood - best scent ever (so far). The other 25 soaps and creams must bow to the prowess of this great scent. Blade was better than two days ago but still not tip top. The ikon slant for a single pass ATG finishing pass left me with a dfs.
    Stirling unscented preshave oil
    Stirling Vanilla Sandelwood Soap
    Alum for skin stretching and post shave
    Stirling Vanilla Sandelwood post shave splash
    Stirling unscented post shave balm
    9/16 round point Sheffield made straight
    Ikon 102 slant with Voskhod blade (1 of 5 shaves)
    IMG_20160103_47283.jpg

Hodge, Rufus T., Boojum1 and 15 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

While you may get faster shaving with a straight takes more time than shaving with a DE. If I don't have adequate time or feel rushed I pick up a DE or SE instead. You are doing great for the first week.

Rufus T., wmbjr, RaZorBurn123 and 9 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Thanks. It's way slower, I am not timing it or anything though. Luckily I can get away with late afternoon or evening session without a hitch. The sound of the razor doing its work is hypnotic. :)

Rufus T., wmbjr, RaZorBurn123 and 7 others like this.
  15. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words I'm glad you continue to be happy with the sr. What you say Is very true and the way you word it will help me stick to it. I think more than once my bad shaves have come from obsessing over BBS from now on I will just do the process to the best of my ability and see the results at the end. I won't be playing with straights for a long time after a promise to the wife. I'm finding myself intrigued by slants. Do you have any experience?

Rufus T., wmbjr, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  16. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris! I think you're right. I gave up trying to get the BBS today after failing to clear the stubble in one of my trouble spots. Next up in my focus is the GSB. I suspect it will do better at getting the BBS than the Lord. :D

Rufus T., wmbjr, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  17. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1/4/16

Phoenix Double OC
    Lord Platinum Class (2)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

IMG_2136.JPG

Second shave with my Phoenix DOC loaded with the Lord Platinum Class. 2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Pass 2: ATG, Very good reduction from both. Nicked a mole on my lower neck during my second pass. Operator error, it's just outside where my beard grows. Did my normal amount of touch up using the lather already on my face and neck. A cool water rinse and after a small amount of touch up, I realized I wasn't going to catch the baby today either. The Pinaud Clubman stung a medium amount. I had enough lather left over for at least a couple of passes.

A nice comfortable near BBS from the Phoenix DOC and the Lord Platinum Class. Both passes were very smooth, provided very good reduction and gave me a DFS+. I did end up with a spot of irritation because I nicked a mole that is going to be rubbed by my shirt collar today. While my main passes seem to be very close and comfortable, I still haven't been able to catch the baby with this combination. @Bama Samurai thinks it's because the Lord just isn't sharp enough. I suspect he's right. Looks like I'll be moving on to the GSB tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Hodge, Rufus T., wmbjr and 12 others like this.
  18. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone.

Today I switched blades:

- Stirling Barbershop
    - Semogue OC badger
    - Merkur 15c
    - Feather (#1)
    - The Body Shop Arber ASB

Got tons of lather from my Stirling soap today, so I decided on three passes instead of the usual two, just because I did not want to waste that much product :p. And so I went back to WTG for the first, then XTG and ATG. To my surprise, the Feather blade made very little difference compared to the Polsilver. Maybe a tiny bit more stubble reduction on the first pass, but barely noticeable. All three passes were pretty smooth though and resulted in an almost BBS shave with just a little more irritation than yesterday (either caused by the 3rd pass or the new blade).

While the scents of Arber ASB and Barbershop soap are totally different, I still think they make quite a nice match ;)

I'l use this soap/razor/blade combo again tomorrow and maybe switch razors on wednesday - a little earlier than planned. I guess I'll join Bill with the DOC then.

Rufus T., wmbjr, wristwatchb and 12 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

01/04/2016
    Razor – Cobra Classic
    Blade – Feather Pro (5)
    Brush – Rudy Vey with Shavemac Finest
    Lather – MdC Fougere
    Post - Witch Hazel followed by Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

As usual the MdC was a joy to lather. Just a brief loading of the brush and then face lathered adding water slowly. I had more than enough lather for a 5 or 6 pass shave. I can tell the Feather Pro blade performance is starting to fall off. The blade didn't feel as sharp but on the positive side it did loose some of its harshness. Going with a 3 pass shave I ended up with a near BBS which is more than good enough for a work day. Finished up with witch hazel followed by a splash of Fine Platinum. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

Hodge, Rufus T., wmbjr and 13 others like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD January 4, 2016
    January Focus Day 1

This is a reiteration of my focus for this month:
    • I will use the same razor all month - a no-name 3-piece from Wet Shave Club. It's been good so far.
    • Beginning January 4, on Monday through Thursday I will use the same soap and the same blade and the same brush. This will be a technique focus time.
    • On Friday through Sunday I'll explore some other soaps or creams and a new blade and different brush, but still with the same razor. Generally one of those days I do not shave any way, so that's a good window to do a little exploring
    Today's shave:
    Pre: Warm shower
    Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
    Razor: 3-piece
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Lather: Proraso White
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Speick a/s, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, ATG, touch-up

I can already tell that Proraso White will be a good choice to work with multiple times this month. It goes on thick and cushions quite nicely. I'm pleased to be working with that soap over the long haul and getting to know its tendencies.

This will please the cartel......I really like the Rapira blades! I started a new one today and they really work for me. I will try the other Rapira varieties in due time and compare them with the Supersteel.

My technique is getting better with each shave. The confidence about blade angle along my cheeks and upper face is pretty high, but less so in my neck area. I'm not shooting to get every single hair on my neck right now. That would lead to irritation and other troubles. I'm going for as smooth as I can get with two passes and a touch-up. My upper face is rather smooth with those passes. My neck is fine, but I want to continue to improve the angle there as well as pressure awareness and concentration.

All in all a good shave this morning. I am a teacher and therefore and heading back to work today after the holidays. It was good time off with my family and it will be summer before we know it!

I hope everyone has a great day!

[​IMG]

Hodge, Rufus T., wristwatchb and 10 others like this.