Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. Did three shaves with the Voskhods before switching over to the Astra SP's. The Voskhods are a touch smoother than the Astra SP's, but the Astras are just a hair sharper.

I think @Darkbulb had good results with Astra SP's as well. I personally haven't met a Russian blade I haven't liked.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Troy M likes this.
  2. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Astra SPs are my-go to blades. Lab Blues are catching up. Voskhods incoming?

BeShaved likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You'll like the Voskhods. One of the things that annoy me with the Astra's are the wax dots. Voskhod blades don't have those.

ShaneS likes this.
  4. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

I hate the dots as well.

Anyone have a line on a good deal for the Voskhods?

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Put a Voskhod in for Day 3. Slightly less quality shave today, but not the razor's fault. I was reading on another thread, and got all amped up for a Glacial shave, Stirling Glacial Lemon. Absolutely nothing wrong with the soap, but not the best for face feel by the 3rd pass. The Voskhod being a little milder of a blade, I found myself buffing a bit on cleanup, and left a little line of irritation on my neck. Again, sloppy shaving on my part.

Ryan, I think you are totally right about the pressure, and we were both right about angle.... After reading your comment earlier today, I made extra sure to use ZERO pressure, and any of the perceived drag was gone.

I am still not sure what I think about its mild/aggressive factor. It's kind of like those psych experiments you read about where a blindfolded dude get a rag soaked in onion juice put over his nose, then bites into an apple. It doesn't shave like it feels. Way closer. At this point, I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't claim to be a mild junkie, but with only three shave completed, it is early to say. For myself, and my preferences, I really like it a lot.

BeShaved, Redfisher and ShaneS like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. Feels aggressive, but actually isn't...but it's not mild either.

7. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

First shave today was excellent. I didn't need ATG pass or any touchup for a smooth BBS shave. As I mention in my SOTD I paid close attention to angle and pressure. It feel like the razor is made of iron...not so much from the weight but the overall presentation on the face. Very cool. I have the 100mm handle and felt that it balanced very well, and the design keeps the water off the handle when rinsing the head between passes.
    I'm very pleased and looking forward to more Blackbird shaves.

PLANofMAN, ShaneS and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Apparently I will also own a long handled boxed black version soon. I don't see myself doing the mix and match with the black and satin, but I'm not going to rule it out. :)

Drat. I just realized that this means I'm going to need to buy two open comb baseplates when they release. I'm OCD enough to not be happy with one color to swap between both razors.

BeShaved, ShaneS and obturador like this.
  9. Number six

I went ahead and gave my BO Blackbird a light Ren Wax coat. I was doing my horn and wood brush handles and thought why not. It made the razor slightly shinier and there was some black residue on the rag. I'm sure it will continue to age and wear but more slowly. I prefer my shaving gear smooth and shiny. :bath:It still looks great.

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I hope that in a year or so we'll have a thread showing off the patina on the black blackbirds like is done on the old black painted Leica M cameras :)

People go out of their way to get that aged look but the ones that have worn 'naturally' over the past 40-50 years fetch a premium.

[​IMG]

BeShaved, obturador and ShaneS like this.
  11. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

I wonder how long it will actually take for that patina to come out.

12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I had my first shave with the"bird" this morning, I used a Polsilver blade and lathered up some Razorock xxx. A couple test strokes on my cheek and I went to work. I noticed a pretty solid feedback, I knew I was shaving. After the first pass I rinsed and felt my face, very good reduction almost BBS on my cheeks. Relathered and went ATG on my neck and WTG once more on the rest of my face. This is my standard routine. Rinsed off and applied my after shave. No burn and no irritation. Near BBS results. Very good for the first run. A couple other notes, I didn't experience any drag and I had no problems finding the right angle. The second shave will tell me more as I am always more comfortable after the initial shave with a new razor. Very good!

image.jpeg

BeShaved, PLANofMAN, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  13. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I think a long time. Years probably. Razors experience maybe an hour a week of use at an absolute maximum. And they are used lightly and in a forgiving environment that washes them(sort of) while they're used. It's not a very stressful application for a product. Of course, it will collect scratches as you smack it around your cabinet or drop parts. Mine are worn from that kind of thing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

Do like my Blackbird!!!

BeShaved and Darkbulb like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Tracking number shows that my Blackbird has landed in Colorado. Hoping for delivery today or tomorrow (although tracking shows Saturday)

ShaneS likes this.
  16. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

According to USPS, mine has been stuck Chicago since 30/12.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I thought I would show off some of the exquisite details on the wooden case today.

Shane put as much thought into the cases as he did the razors. Each slot has an extra deep cutout beneath the base of the handle. Push on the base, and the razor lifts out.

I know it's kind of hard to see, but this is master cabinetry level work. Each box is made from four pieces of wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    BeShaved, MoAllen, ajc347 and 5 others like this.
  18. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Problem is that it is not available anymore.....

BeShaved and JR Reyes like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Shane has said that he is considering offering cases for future limited/special edition runs.

I'm not sure the demand is there to offer them separately as a full time offering.

BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Number six

Today was my third shave with the BB. I switched to a Polsilver and the results were pretty much on par with the Voskhod, perhaps a bit sharper. Most importantly is that I'm getting awesome results with not much effort and almost no touch ups. Today I didn't go ATG, it really wasn't necessary. My neck really likes this razor. I may be getting the best neck shaves of any of my razors. Twenty four hours later I didn't even need to shave above my lip! I have to admit this is a bit of a surprise since I have several high quality razors as well. Nice.
    (this post has been published elsewhere, i.e. across the pond)

clint64, Robyflexx and ShaneS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.