Blackland Brotherhood (BB)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    I know that two shaves is too soon to make a real judgement about my BB but my first face shave was amazing! Shane, did you secretly map my face and observe my shaving habits? This thing seems to be custom made for me! 2 passes and I have a BB-BBS shave! Even on my neck and I never have a completely smooth neck.

BeShaved, ShaneS and Boojum1 like this.
  2. Troy M

Sorry, I see now that I was a little squeely like a teenage girl. (cough) (grunt) (spatooey) Decent razor. (grunt);)

PLANofMAN and ShaneS like this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I may have missed it. What blade did you use Troy?

4. Troy M

Sorry, got a little overwhelmed by the shave. Persona Blue that was included with the razor. 2nd use.

PLANofMAN, Boojum1 and ShaneS like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm going to have to revisit those blades.

Number six and Troy M like this.
  6. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Love the vintage old spice bottles. If I wasn't a student I would pick one of these razors up. Such is life. I will have to wait.

BeShaved and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

I just looked up how much it would cost to pick up that Ralph Lauren set.... yikes. It's freaking gorgeous though.

ShaneS likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Oh, the brush can be picked up from time to time for about $20. It's a bit harder to find the other pieces, but it's doable. Took me a few years. The biggest difficulty is that it's vintage. Hasn't been made since 1998, and I doubt it was a big seller even then.

It is lovely though. Exudes luxury like no other brush and mug set...except maybe for some of @Darkbulb's silver shave mug sets.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well thanks - and it seems like I will be able to pair those silver mugs with my $20 RL brush come Monday :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

So many products so little money!

11. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

If anyone has a s RL shaving brush available, I'll happily take it off your hands...

12. Troy M

I've heard that one factor in extending blade life is to have a shallow angle. I wonder if the BB will contribute to that? Any thoughts?

13. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

Just a question? Am I a member? Haven't used anything else since II got mine. Love it and my Mongoose! Best 2 razors Ihave!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    PLANofMAN, Darkbulb, ShaneS and 2 others like this.
  14. Troy M

Face shave #2 today and the angle of attack was even more instinctive when shaving from ear to neck. Not quite as much from neck up. I may just use 2 passes from top to bottom and see what happens. Didn't even do any touch up today and everything is close to BBS.

ShaneS likes this.
  15. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Never heard that one. What's the reasoning behind that?

Troy M likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Later today, I'm going to do an in-depth review of the Blackbird. I will explain the phenomenon of why people keep saying, "It shaves differently, and I don't know why."

I do know why, and I know why some folks are having trouble with this razor. I'll explain both reasons, and include pictures. I'm also going to explain why this is really not a razor for people just learning to wet shave. This is a razor that will show you exactly how good a shaver you really are.

Stay tuned.
    Added you to the list.
    You won't be getting mine. :)
    Possibly...and I do have thoughts on that subject. I'll save them for the review.

BeShaved, Robyflexx and Papa Roy like this.
  17. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I will be needing to update my avatar picture, as the Blackbird has arrived, and I completed my first shave with said implement! Having shaved for the last four months with either my schick Krona, or my 70s vintage superspeed, and before that, my 50s Canadian Tech, I must say that this beauty is HEAVY.... good heavy, mind you. The enclosed Personna blues seemed to work very well, but I will be trying the Astra SP (my favorite to date blade). Given the handle length I have been using, I used the shorter of the two. As for the shave, I found the shave to be much closer than I have had with the aforementioned razors, but not unexpected. I got a slight nick on my upper cheek, due to user carelessness, but the rest of the shave was DFS to BBS, with a WTG, and XTG pass. Further shaves with the BB are absolutely going to happen this week. This is my first "expensive" razor purchase, and I am VERY HAPPY with it. ( PS, I got the KS two handle, stand, and soap deal.... )

BeShaved, clint64, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  18. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

PS, please include me in the club...

Boojum1, clint64, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ...and you are on the list. :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Troy M

I think it is because a shallow angle is more efficient and thus the blade is doing more of what it is capable of - shearing the whisker off, rather than scrapping it off with a steeper angle. So...if a blade lasts 3 shaves longer with a Blackbird and at the current depreciated cost of razor blades, the cost savings in blades alone will allow me to pay back the cost of the razor in around 345 years. Bonus!!;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.