January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The ears to Adam's apple pass is the one I have been struggling with too. That is ATG for me as well. Let me know if you figure out any tricks to make it happen.

wmbjr, Bill_F, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I feel like a shorty would make it easier. I can't get my skin flat enough for the width of the razor unless I tilt the blade at a dangerous angle. The left side I got fairly smooth with a nice hardly felt stubble only when I put some pressure on my fingertips and rubbed ATG but the right is pretty rough. I might hone up a razor I have without scales and see if I can maneuver it better in that spot. Learning to use my left hand would probably help me but it feels like I could kill myself so I haven't tried more then a few times.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 12, 2016 (Shave 6 of this Focus)
    Razor: Cattaraugus model B52T 5/8 muted square tip
    Strop: Drygulch Leatherworks Chromexcel Horse/ Linen
    Soap: Jabonman Lima-Incienso
    Brush: 28mm Ubersoft in Aluminum handle
    Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum Bar, Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: Lustray Blue Spice
    image.jpeg
    Focus for this month is seeing how different treatments affect the edge. Second shave with Chief Cattaraugus, first one was off Welsh hones, with Chromium oxide, linen, and leather stropping. This time it was off a Colorado natural hone, with linen and leather stropping only. I am also going back to only two passes, with touch up. Three passes was giving me too much irritation, and not much of a better shave. I did a N/S and a S/N pass with no touch up today. Razor was sharp, but didn’t feel really smooth. I think that’s because I didn’t use the pasted strop. Neck was DFS plus, which is better than it has been with three passes. Had a couple of rough spots on my jay though. Calling the overall shave a DFS, B for closeness, A for irritation, C for smoothness, and B for keenness. Next shave will use the pasted strop, and see if that brings the edge back to where I want it.

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 11 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How do you like that Lustray Blue Spice? Been thinking of ordering some.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I tried using my shorty on this pass and inadvertently stabbed myself in the neck. Nicely honed round tip dig right in. Good times.

wmbjr, Bill_F, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've never used a shorty but my parker style shavette makes this pass easy which is why I feel like I could do it with a shorty. I still struggle seeing around the scales while I'm shaving that direction on the right side. Maybe I should just break down and start using my left hand for February or March's focus. I'm not fond of round tips. I think I have one and I may cut it off some time and make it a spike tip.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Scent is classic old man or barber shop. Skin feel is good. Scent is not too long lasting. I have been using it as a splash on my non-shave days as well, because I really like the smell. Its a good inexpensive aftershave.

wmbjr, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It looks like you have the DOC figured out! Sharp blades, low angle! Cool photo today too!

wmbjr, Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

What a fourth quarter!

wmbjr, Rufus T., Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I have noticed that all of the Pinaud AS and colognes change as they dry down. Glad she liked it!

wmbjr, Marverel, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette 1947 Super Speed
    Blade: Personna SS Lab (4)
    Brush: Frank Shave Finest Badger (travel brush) 20/45
    Soap: Route 66 A Perfect Gent
    A/S: Captain's Choice Sandalwood

Breaking out the travel brush for a few days. This will be better understood in the next few weeks. Outstanding shave again today. The Route 66 A Perfect Gent is another outstanding shave soap from this company.:happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    12 01 16b.JPG

wmbjr, Rufus T., Bill_F and 12 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

That's the first report I've read where washing and changing AS were necessary!

wmbjr, Rufus T., Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It has to be one of the better Championship Games I've ever seen. Very similar to the Texas vs USC game. I got to talk with my daughter a little earlier today and she said Tuscaloosa went crazy last night. Lucky for her classes don't start until Wednesday.

wmbjr, Rufus T., Bill_F and 6 others like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I over did it. I had a palm full of the liquid Macho Sport, I should have known better. :)

wmbjr, Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  15. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

I was reading about perfect gent last night. After discovering frozen margarita was sold out. Then I discovered they don't ship outside the U.S. So it didn't matter. Apparently they are going to be shipping worldwide very soon though.

16. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Just a face shave tonight and since I have a beard there wasn't a lot to do. Just clean up my neck and shape my beard. Still very enjoyable nonetheless. I've had very little growth on my head in the last 24 hours due to the superb performance of the 1924. I'm back in love with maca root, even the smell. One day off combined with a terrible cream made me grateful. I hope all are enjoying great shaves.

17. Bama Samurai

Day 12 - 90 Day intro to SR

image.jpeg
    Whipped Dog "Sight Unseen" 5/8
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic

Route 66 Lumberjack
    Alum
    Mennen Skin Bracer

Sticking with the WD straight...I was able to complete WTG followed with XTG, with a little extra work on the jawline. After two passes I had a DFS, but I decided to use the FB to catch it. I have been making the lather a bit wetter, and it's helping the razor glide better. Handling this blade is a bit different than the Ralf Aust. I think I may prefer the heavier Aust, but will continue on the WD for a week before switching back. Dried the razor and gave it thirty laps on leather, all set for tomorrow. We are having a warm spell, was out in 52F full sunshine as I went about my day! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.
    Have a wonderful evening!!
    :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs154: [​IMG]

Bill_F, clint64, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks Adam-and you're lucky, as this is my first commentary on here with my new laptop :)

TomJ89de, Bill_F, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

January 13

Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed (Z3)
    Feather (3)
    Rudy Vey Shavemac two-band silver tip badger
    Route 66 Lumberjack
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Alt Innsbruck

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

SOTD_011316.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, TomJ89de and 16 others like this.