January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Another great name for this thing we call shaving.

TomJ89de, Bill_F, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Very interested in that CC Sandlewood. Clove factor????

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Jan 13 Focus Shave 10

Today's razor is Wade and Butcher finish with a Shapton 12k, Dovo green/red paste, CrOx then 200,000 grit diamond paste. They blade felt very smooth, the smoothest yet. I really thought I had nailed the shave but the alum produced some stinging and I just missed BBS.

Irritation B+ Closeness A- Smoothness A Keenness A-

Castle Forbes Cedarwood
    Gemstars Customs Elk Antler silver tip
    Whitehead scuttle
    Wade and Butcher finish with a Shapton 12k, Dovo green/red paste, CrOx then 200,000 grit diamond paste
    Dry Gulch strop
    Lucky Tiger AS
    L'Occitane Cade ASB
    Hermès Terre D' Hermès
    max - 1.jpg

4. Keithmax

I have the same problem. Here is how I improved on this pass.

I use my right hand for the right side and left hand for the left side. I hold the razor upside down, my hand is above the razor. I then use the opposite hand to reach over my head and stretch the skin. First with my jaw closed then I open my jaw and pull the skin even higher. With this method I can get every thing but the bottom inch of my neck. For the bottom inch of my neck I return my normal grip and use a scything motion.

wmbjr, Troy M, TomJ89de and 8 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

I use Arko when I travel too. Works in any water.

wmbjr, TomJ89de, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Keith, you have a very nice set up, and I'm glad you're getting some wonderful shaves. I'm convinced from all the straight razor activity this month that I will need a pasted strop. I was hoping to "get by" without one, but time and again, everyone says the shaves are smoother with it. Is a pasted strop messy to use? A bathroom floor of green and red crayon "snow" won't be well received. :)

By the way, Hermès Terre D' Hermès is my favorite cologne. :happy088:

wmbjr, clint64, Marverel and 5 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

Adam, the Chief Cattaraugus is one cool looking straight razor! You must have a high place on the dark side. And you're also demonstrating to me that a pasted strop is necessary for a smooth straight razor shave.

wmbjr, clint64, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Charlie, it is only a little messy when applying the pastes. When I apply the past to the strop the Dovo red/black is the easiest since they are like a crayon. Once the strop is pasted it is not messy at all. While pasting there is no 'snow' or fall out from the stropping. You just need to carefully wipe the blade with a micro cloth or tissue to remove the paste from the blade.

I high recommend a pasted strop to maintain the edge. I also added a finishing stone and so far I have not have to use more than the finishing stone and pasted strops to maintain my straights.

wmbjr, clint64, TomJ89de and 6 others like this.
  9. wristwatchb

Doug, your wintertime outdoor photos are great! You guys have had some snow this winter. We still haven't had one inch of snow here in Kentucky yet.

wmbjr, RaZorBurn123, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent post. Beautiful razor!

clint64, TomJ89de, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

We have had very little snow this year so far. This can change in a blink of an eye. Might happen down your way also.

wmbjr, Drygulch, RaZorBurn123 and 6 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Thank you, Keith. This is helpful. From what I'm learning here and reading elsewhere, I'm looking at a pasted strop, a 12K Naniwa synthetic stone, and a DMT D8C lapping stone for edge maintenance. Does this sound right to you and the other straight razor experts here? Thanks again for your help!

13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD January 13, 2016
    Focus Day 10

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Rapira Stainless (3)
    Razor: Wet Shave Club 3-piece
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Lather: Proraso White
    WTG, touch-up

A decent shave this morning. My neck has a little more stubble left on it than some past shaves, but it is certainly acceptable and devoid of redness or irritation.

For you Proraso users.....this morning and yesterday the lather on my neck (which is where I shave last) has dried up a little bit and become pasty or chalky. I shaved with it but the lather I reapply for touch-up is more slick and hydrated. Am I not using enough water in the lathering process? The Proraso White produces a pretty thick lather, but the drying has been unusual.

Otherwise this combination is working quite well. I really enjoy the Proraso and am sure the drying issue can be rectified.

I hope you all have a great Wednesday!

SOTD 1-13-16.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    wmbjr, Drygulch, RaZorBurn123 and 8 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Sounds good to me. I have a Shapton 12k stone but from my research the Naniwa is also highly regarded.

PS: I am enjoying the TdH perfume today. It is a classic for a good reason.

Drygulch, clint64, TomJ89de and 4 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

You and I are the chosen ones. :cool:

16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

If you use the pasted strop too long you may end up having to go bad to about an 8k to straighten out the bevel again. Stropping even with paste can make the bevel less wedge like and more bullet tip shape and the finishing stone alone may not cut it all the way to a wedge like profile again. If you go to the hone once a month and the pasted strop every week with the normal leather daily then you should be fine with what you have listed.

17. Keithmax

Good point, I do not use the pasted strop every time. I use it after 2 or 3 shaves because I have a tough beard and then I touch up the razors on finishing stone once a month. It could be just because I am OCD when it comes to shaving.

18. wristwatchb

Thank you, Mark. This is very helpful. I appreciate it!

Drygulch, clint64, TomJ89de and 3 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

And I don't need a wood chisel, right? I hope not. I'm not good with wood chisels. :scared003:

You guys keep me in stitches. :happy102:

wmbjr, Drygulch, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  20. obturador

obturador Active Member

Oh my I've been so busy that I haven't been able to post my progress. Anyway here it goes...MY NECK IS THRASHED...

Why might you ask? Well I normally try to avoid shaving on a daily basis as my neck, and skills are not up to the task. So why did I shave three days in a row??? Well work sadly played a part in.

So thus I post a question.. if you have to shave every day...are there any suggestions to get there?

wmbjr, opsimath, Drygulch and 8 others like this.