Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

You need a shave. ;)

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great Tweed!
    BCD's right about the shave....With a BBS, we'd be calling that cap " The Young Guy's Cab Driver's Lid"......lol

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Not only am I am man who loves a good wet shave, I'm also a man who loves a stylish hat. I love fedoras, trilby hats, and pork pie hats—in that order. I love pretty much all makers/brands of these types of hats, but I'm especially partial to Stetson and Kangol hats.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

If I recollect, I took this just shy of the Arizona state line in southern California. I rarely shave when I'm on a road trip. Unless I'm back east, anyway.

Bird Lives and BigCabDaddy like this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Here is an actual pic of me with my Stetson Glensfalls.
    This is my first hat / cap in this style. Normally i don't wear any caps or hats.

But i love this one. My Girlfriend is very happy about it too.

[​IMG]

Here two other ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here with Beard and fresh shaved...

Greetings
    Thorsten

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. Bird Lives

Which is you now.....the bearded or cleanshaven chap ?

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. Bird Lives

We should take up a collection and pif you a nice travel shave kit....Maybe a Baby-pro brush and a travel Ever Ready cigarette case model....:lam:..........
    Hey.....Just kidding....:happy102:......but I bet it feels great when you get home and remove those itching whiskers....whew!

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Right now it's a mix of both...i will try to give you a "live" pic today.

9. BigCabDaddy

Part of the freedom of traveling for me is not shaving. (Keep in mind that I travel primarily by motorcycle.) I do carry a Bic disposable should there be a "shaving emergency." I've used the Bic on exactly two occasions with "lather" provided by motel soap bar. ;) image.jpeg

10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Very cool bike and photo @BigCabDaddy! upload_2016-1-23_11-15-26.jpeg

TheManWithNoName and BigCabDaddy like this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

I go by two *and* four wheels...but can only go three days before those whiskers have to come off. That's why I could never grow a full beard. Can't stand the itching.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  12. BigCabDaddy

image.jpeg
    Yeah, thanks. I miss that bike. Even though I love my new one, there are many times I question my decision to get rid of that one. Particularly since it was paid for.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. BigCabDaddy

The itchy phase is definitely something you have to get through on the way to a beard. That's why I don't really get today's ultra trimmed beards. To me, they would amount to perpetual misery.

14. '65 G-Slim

My job won't let me grow a beard...I can get away with a soul patch for a while, and I'm pushing it with my Fu Manchu 'stache. But I work in a hole in the ground, and my supervisor is cool, so I can get away with a few things.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Blue Borsalino Fedora and Sable Lock & Co. Trilby...
    image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    BigCabDaddy and TheManWithNoName like this.
  16. TheManWithNoName

BigCabDaddy and Bird Lives like this.
  17. Bird Lives

Thanks Matt....Yeah, I think I have a preference for the raw edge, and I like the thin ribbon on that one aswell...};^))

Hey....I've rebashed this from a center dent to a diamond bash....which do you guys like better?
    image.jpg Or image.jpg + image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    TheManWithNoName and BigCabDaddy like this.
  18. Bird Lives

I'll answer my own question....The Diamond Bash looks great...It brings the hats height down a hair and makes the sides very straight, no taper...But the center dent gives it a tad more height, and with this hat the center dent is the winner...}8^))

With a taller larger fedora, I think those Diamond Bashes look great, like Bogart's lid in the Maltese Falcon...
    image.jpg image.jpg

Or Dana Andrews hat in Laura..
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    TheManWithNoName likes this.
  19. TheManWithNoName

I like both styles. But I will say that with a smaller crown and brim, I like a straight center dent. With a larger hat like my stetson, I like the teardrop crown. These are kind of general rules of thumb for me. I will say that it really depends on the hat. There are some hats that have a smaller crown and brim that I do like with a teardrop crown style, and some larger hats where I like the straight center crease in the crown.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Bird Lives likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

Theres a hat site that has a thread called "Hat On A Stick" and I've seen some pretty cool pics of hats sitting on everything from radio antennas to Swords...ha,ha....

Lets have some fun like that of our own....

Heres A couple of my hats you have seen too many times before, sitting in a real 'Hat Tree' I moved indoors..
    image.jpg
    Heres my Lock & Co. Resting comfortably at the top....
    image.jpg
    Now lets see what you got....they can be on anything....lol!

Robyflexx likes this.