Some soaps you won't buy again?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rusty blade, Sep 3, 2015.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

New contenders to the list:

RazoRock XXX. Plain mediocre performance. Much better alternatives out there.
    MEM Olive. Meh. Okay performance, a bit tiring scent. Too expensive for it's own good (merely because I have to get it online).

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

Great.....just placed a large Razorock order lol. Soaps I won't buy again:
    The Holy Black--Skin turns bright red and it burns. Everyone I know that has tried it had this problem--not just sensitive skin
    Captain's Choice--Got the Bay Rum scent and it smells NOTHING like the matching aftershave. Smells disgusting
    Art of Shaving Cream--alright lather but slickness is not there. Way overpriced as well.
    Anything PAA--Agree with everyone else...just a weird egotistical dude who won't get my money

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

MdC.

Because I have a lifetime supply.

4. ezcape49

ezcape49 New Member

Williams - Lather breaks down
    VDH - Better lather then Williams but not that great either. I do love the scent on it.

5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

sound like some upcoming PIF's are in store ... good example of YMMV on these posts as some people hate what others love.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Williams. It smells like bug repellent.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend Arko, Through the Fire Ignite, or Through the Fire Quench either then. They all have that cintronella, almost ammonia type smell.

8. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately ill probably never buy cella again. Not because its bad. I actually really enjoy it. I just have so many soaps that is hard to get to them all. After 3 years my tub has lost its almond scent and now smells kind of animalistic.

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Anybody wants to get rid of soaps .. Pm me .. I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands..
    Soap I'm never buying again is proraso.. No slickness at all. My skin is dry after each pass. No matter how long I lather, how little or how much water..

10. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

For me it's Cella, while its a great soap I just really don't like the almond scent. Unfortunately for me that means I will never get to try Boellis Panama or ABC either :(

11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

For me:

Pre de Provence; not a bad soap, not a great soap, I would much rather use the other soaps in my rotation
    Williams; life is too short
    I am sure there are others, just can't remember. If they are not as good as TSD original, Arko and Tabac, I don't have a need for them.

Dave

12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Col. Conk Amber - it didn't agree with my skin. The other Conk soaps I had were great.
    Williams - dries up on me. Too bad, I want to like it.
    VDH Luxury - not a bad soap at all, but I have so many others to use that I feel are better.

13. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I've only been wet shaving now for about 4-5 months but every soap I bought I like I don't have that many but I would buy them all again...
    Cella
    Proaso white, proaso cream red
    Caties bubbles De La vie
    Razorock X X X
    Stirling Tuscany
    VDH..Deluxe and luxury
    Col. Conks bay rum
    Cavendish Himalayan
    Soap commander jap. Grapefruit
    Original old spice
    Nivea sensitive skin
    Arko
    Wilkinson blue tub

I wouldn't buy the original Old Spice again but I don't think you can get that anyway

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. KCphotog

KCphotog Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Proraso, just couldn't get a good shave out of it. Lather wasn't slick at all no matter how much water I put in it. I see why people add glycerin and uber lather it. Plus it was a pain to clean out of the razor head, left a nasty gunky film. Also Dapper Dragon soaps, performance is nice but they lose the scent. Only soap I have had that has done that.

15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

For me:
    Williams-have 2 pucks and think that will last over a lifetime
    Razorock XXX- for some reason this soap just doesnt do it for me, post shave and slickness
    Stirling-I have quite a few of them and have since found better soaps
    Cella- Same reason as Stirling, but it is a GREAT soap
    Proraso- Similar to reasons above but dont think it is a great performer

a lot of this changed when I got my Saponificio Varesino, as I would be perfectly fine with only having those soaps.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm crazy but since I've switched to a super adjustable I can't tell the difference between the soaps or the blades that's how smooth that razor is

17. Ahh Oui

Ahh Oui Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that The Holy Black didn't work out for you. It's been in the rotation for a couple of weeks now (they had a booth at a tattoo convention, oddly enough) and it's been doing well for me. I really enjoy that fragrance, especially the after shave. Bummer that people are having bad reactions to it!

m54daboll likes this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I can't do this. You know why? I won't buy most soaps again. As many as I rotate I doubt I'll ever run out of anything. For the most part, I have too many I'm curious about I've yet to try. Now if you wanted to know which I'd rebuy if I ran out...

19. Ahh Oui

Ahh Oui Well-Known Member

...darn fine point!

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Start shaving your head too. You'll go through things about 3x as fast. Although my stuff is lasting twice as long since I moved from boars to synths.

Terry, Mike Brown and BigCabDaddy like this.