How did the shaving forums change your life?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Lyrt, May 23, 2008.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

How did the shaving forums change your life?

Aside from shaving, of course. And yeah, I like to write forums and not fora. Personally:

1) Photography. Here’s the first picture I posted in August 2006 on B&B:

[​IMG]

What prompted me to dust off my D70, buy a macro lens and get off my ass and work was Richard’s (Rustyblade from SMF) great SOTD photographs.

2) Pipe smoking. A friend of mine was interested in pipe smoking and made me try it, but if I persevered with it, it is thanks to Rick and his DDoD posts. Rattray’s Old Gowrie and Red Rapparee which I discovered thanks to him remain my favourite tobaccos.

3) Absinthe. I had always wanted to try absinthe and always thought it was forbidden. Thanks to Bargepole from SMF, I was able to buy my first bottle.

4) Perfumes. Duh.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great idea!

1) Languages. I love writing, talking and reading in English and these boards help me improving my skills

2) Money. More money for shaving stuff, less for other things

3) Friends. Found many new friends on the shaving forums and have met quite a few from the German ones in person.

4) Perfumes. Didn't own a single one before starting wetshaving

5) Style and gentlemanly behaviour. No explanation needed

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Turned me into a pipe smoker. Is that a good thing? YES!

4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

The voice of reason.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Got me into shaving with a straight razor. And acquire more creams and soaps than any man will need... and razors... and razor blades... I was into scents before, but the forums has certainly refined my taste, and willingness to try new, I wouldn't have been caught dead with something "rose" or "lilac" in my cabinet a year ago :p

And the biggest change is that "my stuff" in the bathroom now takes up more space than my wife's :rofl

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Hmmm.....hard question. I'm sure I'll forget to mention a lot. :ashamed001

Other than all my great friends, the only thing I can think of is soapmaking. Never had any interest or even heard much about it before the forums.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

And you're very good at it, too :eatdrink047

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Hmmm....omitting any shaving-related changes (of which there have been quite a few) I'd have to say that "meeting" new people from different cultures and walks of life has changed me a bit. Particularly when mucking around in the off-topic/conversation areas of the forums. I've learnt a lot from that.

James.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

besides the obvious shaving,
    I got in to wood turning so I could make brush handles
    Pens that don't come from Walmart.
    No longer can share a bathroom with my wife

and I think that being around such a classy bunch has really helped me cool down and enjoy things more. The sense of community is awesome. I feel like you are all friends.