Show off your watch

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I blame @ChiefShaver for having me seriously considering a Slow Watch as a birthday gift to myself. Only bad thing is that that is several months out in time :(

2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Shame on me...:git::happy093::happy108:

Believe me, you did absolutely the right thing. You will not be disapointed.

I will post my watch here in few moments...please be patient with me...;)

Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  3. ChiefShaver

Here is my new watch...have a look:

[​IMG]
    Slow Watch from Swiss. Modell "Slow Jo 09". Stainless steel body, with "cream" coloured dial and an brown calfskin armwrist from Italy. Looks wonderful to me and feels even better on my wrist. Here some more pictures..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Logo is engraved on the back of the body.

For all who are interested in a watch like this, here the link:

https://www.slow-watches.com/

Greetings
    Thorsten​

4. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

That could take some getting used to. Interesting concept.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. ChiefShaver

I love it...it´s a bit "weird" at first, but after a few hours it´s "normal" to read the time. I thought it would need more time, but i´m now glad it didn´t. Will not miss it anymore.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So the Slow is a 24 hour watch and you have to estimate to the quarter hour the exact time? The time in the top pic is about 11:03 am?

Darkbulb and ChiefShaver like this.
  7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Your guess looks right to me. I really like that watch.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Citizen, circa 1988. It's all I wear now.

0214161039.jpg

wristwatchb and ChiefShaver like this.
  9. ChiefShaver

Yes, you´re right...The time is only marked with 11, 11:15, 11:30,11:45,12 and so on and on...so in 30minutes steps. The time between is a lucky thing to get...sometimes i have it spot on and sometimes i´m 2 or 3 minutes away from the exact time. But that´s no problem...for me at least.

wristwatchb, Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I haven't worn a watch since December 31, 1993.

11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:bounce017:Stunning:bounce017: @Darkbulb!

12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah. Every bar is 15 mins.
    I grew up with the 24hr system so it would be kinda nice to 'return' to that.

What I really love about the Slow is that the entire 24 hours is represented as one cycle on the watch. The 'day' is on the top half of the watch (6am to 6pm) and the evening/night is on the lower half.
    Seeing 'how much of the day' we have left - or have 'used up' is so much better illustrated through that.
    Nowadays most of us look at our phones and time is being represented as '4:13pm' for instance and that linear way of looking at time leads us, I think, to view time as milestones (15 minutes until the bus, 7 minutes until re meeting starts, etc) - and while that's understandable and sometimes necessary it may also prevent us from really seeing the passing of the full day and remember to take advantage of it.
    Phew, that was a long sentence :)

Second thing I like is the shift away from a focus on the "exact" minute. Most of the time it doesn't really matter if it's 4:12 or 4:14 - and most of our watches are also a few minutes off anyway :)

Third thing I like is the deliberate design choice to keep the face clean from logos and 'Swiss made' - all that was, by intent, put on the back of the watch.

I think I got my face/band combo worked out and will see how long I can keep myself from getting one :)

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks - it's incredible what $30 can get you on eBay sometimes :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's well out of my league but the black one with brown band on the website caught my eye.

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thorsten, it is a beautiful watch. Thank you, sir, for sharing the photos. :)

ChiefShaver and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Hruiz

Hruiz New Member

[​IMG]

I'm 24 and love watches!! This is the piece I've got on my wrist right now!

18. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

DSC_1280.JPG
    Maratac 21 jewel automatic. Sapphire crystal. NATO band.

Keeps terrible time, I have to adjust it weekly and wind it each night (so much for automatic). But the sapphire crystal is gorgeous and I like that there's no brand name visible on the face.

gorgo2, wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Before the computer came along and replaced the typing pool, I worn a watch to work. I felt naked without it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Even though I must admit I often look at my phone for the time...I still 'need' to wear a watch for that same reason as you. Odd.

DLP likes this.