Best and Worst Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Of all of my Gillette DE's, my '64 Tech is my least favorite. The others are superb.

2. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

The best Gillette razors for me are a tie between the Tech Handled British NEW and a Red-tip Rocket.

The worst Gillette razor I've used is a brass #58 Aristocrat - the handle is just to slippery. I have an Aluminium #58 and it feels like a completely different razor in use (light, manoeuvrable and significantly improved grip). The use of aluminium changes the nature of this razor completely.

3. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

I love mine, same year. Almost as heavy as my Rocket HD, but I like it better for some reason, maybe because it's my birth year, maybe because is US made... idk... ymmv

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've got a metal-base Super Adjustable long, and I find it too awkward. And if I work the Fatboy more, maybe I won't find it so clumsy. My favorite has to be the pre-war Tech Fatty. It feels the best balanced of the lot.

chrisbd likes this.
  5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have 10 different Gillette vintage razors and like them all. A 40's style Super Speed, Red Tip, Slim Adjustable, US and Brit Tech's, NEW SC and LC, 08 OT Single Ring, 1919 OT Bulldog and a Rocket HD5oo (in transit). I'd have to separate them by aggressiveness, comfort and looks. Since I prefer a more aggressive shave I'd rate the Tech lowest and the OT Bulldog as the most aggressive. I'd rate my NEW SC and LC as being the smoothest most non-irritating shaver. For pure aesthetics I'd put the OT Bulldog and Red Tip as dead even. I don't regret having aquired any of my current vinatge Gillette's.

brit, chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I always received a outstanding shave from my aristocrat 46/47

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    brit, chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

Not fond of old types or techs otherwise get a great shave from most others.....favorite would be either a red tip, new long comb or maybe the under rated slim twist.

chrisbd likes this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

What "Tech" are you referring to as the Gillette Tech's were made for decades and varied dramatically.

U.S. Tech blade gap .56mm
    Ranger Tech .blade gap 64mm
    Gillette FH Tech Canada 1932 Pat. prior to 1952 Triangular blade gap .67mm
    Red Tip U.S.A. blade gap .66 - .73mm

chrisbd, Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  9. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Red Tip a Tech? You lost me.

chrisbd and Red Rider like this.
  10. Red Rider

Wanted to show how the favourable red tip gap compares to an early Tech more so than a later Tech. Sharing the name Tech alone should not imply shave similarities. Different gaps, material and designs varied within the decades and locations Techs were made.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    brit, chrisbd and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Solid information thanks. :happy088:

chrisbd, Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

Sorry.....to be more specific, I am not fond of US 3 piece tech razors....I have always considered the Ranger Tech,(which I like), a superspeed variant even though technically it is in the "Tech" family (no pun intended).......Thanks for posting the blade gaps!

13. Red Rider

You and practically everyone else. That is why the Canadian and English versions prior to 1952 are the go to variants in the Tech world.

brit, gorgo2, chrisbd and 2 others like this.
  14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Seriously?? I loooooooooooove my British pre-war (40's) Tech, but always thought the US version was better, hence I've sought for one.

Guess I'm back to loving it even more :D

chrisbd, Red Rider, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  15. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I don't have the other two razors, but have a Red Tip, and 46-50 ball end and fat handle Techs.

On the Fat Tech I only got .43mm.
    On the Ball End Tech I got 50mm
    My Red Tip did pretty much match yours at .68mm

Greg W.

chrisbd and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Red Rider

This is the Canadian version that we are referring to. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1938-1941 Tech Leather Set Canada.JPG.

brit, gorgo2 and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had no use for Techs for close to 10 years. Tried many...meh. Then a few years ago I stumbled upon a 1932 Canadian.

Now I understand.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Almost all my Techs are 1932's. I also like the 1941 - 45 plastic Tech.

brit, John Ruschmeyer and gorgo2 like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

me too...

20. brit

brit in a box

love my aristocrats ,u.s. and british, rockets and british/canadian techs. new sc/ new deluxe .
    i am now test driving a importe de angleterre #44 rfb new set.not a fan of the old types so far, too many weepers but practice may prevail..no zymac /pot metal
    brass is class,steel is the deal, plastic is drastic.

Enrico and Jim99 like this.